U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 08:53 AM

65 posts, read 290,394 times

Advertisements

I always loved tats but waited until I was 38 (woman) to get one- it's simple on my bottom leg, and has all of my boys names on it. I don't mined seeing woman with them but as long as it is simple and some what classy - not all over their body .Men -I think the more the better but not on the face
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 09:27 AM

7,071 posts, read 16,014,266 times
Well, here we go again.........the tattoo contraversy!
Some people like/love them, while others hate them and have opinions about people who get them. My wife was extremely glad when she found out that I had none. And, I spent some years in the Navy, but just never got any.
Big corporations frown very heavily on applicants who have "visible" tattoos and I don't blame them. Almost everytime you watch a movie with jail scene's in it or a documentary about a prison, what do you see.....men with tattoos on their neck/arms/back, whereever. People also relate tattoos to "biker gangs/groups" and inner-city gangs.
A lot of "shrinks" will even tell their patients (kids or adults), "you want to express yourself, do something good like volunteer at a hospital.....leave getting a tattoo out".
Years ago tattoo's were not frowned upon/disliked like they are now. Kids/young adults see their favorite pro sports figure with tattoos all over the place and they think that is the "in look". It's sort of funny, but I do see these pro athlete's with all of these tattoos playing basketball or football, but why don't the pro golfers, pro tennis, pro bowlers and some other sports have them???
If I had a son, he would be around pro rodeo, like I spent years in. I seen very little, to none, of the tattoo and body piercings in that sport.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:34 AM

1,959 posts, read 4,644,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingcali View Post
I think the bigger problem is that Mike Tyson (a convicted sex offender and wife beater) is his hero. That's disgusting.
I second that, fellow Sacramentian

Old 04-07-2007, 09:51 AM

926 posts, read 1,328,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVALLERI View Post
I always loved tats but waited until I was 38 (woman) to get one- it's simple on my bottom leg, and has all of my boys names on it. I don't mined seeing woman with them but as long as it is simple and some what classy - not all over their body .Men -I think the more the better but not on the face
Don't know why this made me think of it, but I saw a tat once that said the words, YOUR NAME HERE. Thought that was a good one

Old 04-07-2007, 11:22 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,086,895 times
Well, my daughter (25) has two tattoos, a small green shamrock on the small of her back, and a small lotus flower on the nape of her neck. The shamrock can't be seen unless she's wearing a bathing suit, and the flower can't be seen as long as her hair is down. I don't really have a major problem with tattoos, within reason. And, she got both of these when she was of legal age, and she was out of the house. My son is 20, and has been contemplating a tattoo on his upper arm, in the shape of a Celtic Cross, as a tribute to his Irish/Celtic heritage, (the same reason my daughter got the shamrock). Again, I have no objection, as he is of legal age, and will pay for it himself. Would I like it if either of them had tattoos in very conspicuous places? Not really, and I would try to talk them out of it, given that it would not be in their best interest, when trying to land a job, etc.

Old 04-07-2007, 12:05 PM

4,281 posts, read 9,285,657 times
Having Mike Tyson as a hero ... well err, there's not much more I can say on that ... except lend me your ear!

As for the Marines, please read the below:

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marines/l/bltattoo.htm

Hep C: If you do your background and gain knowledge before getting a tattoo, then Hep C should not be a problem.

I would highly discourage anyone from getting tattoos on their head, neck, face or hands due to possible future corporate employment if that is the way they might go.

I speak from experience when it comes to tattoos. I have designed my own and helped others choose and design theirs. For me it is a very personal thing and I would never recommend anybody to have one until they have throughly thought it through.

As for getting tats when drunk, not many tattoo artists that I know would do it. For one you bleed more (same if you are a smoker) and for another it's the regrets the day after and the rep' of the artist.

I get another one the end of this month. I am working on my back piece. So, you can see I love tattoos on myself and other people. It's a wonderful form of expression to me, but I do have boundaries and I do my homework.

Old 04-07-2007, 12:16 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,644,138 times
That whole "Mike Tyson as hero" is the real problem here, not a silly tattoo.

However, a tattoo on the face is simply a bad idea unless he intends to make a living as a tattoo artist.

I have a tattoo on my arm, I can hide it or show it at will, I got it ten years ago and still like it, but I'm thinking of touching it up and adding some color to it one of these times (and no, my parents could not have cared less, although my grandmother wasn't too fond of it, so I simply covered it up when I visited her and all was well, no big deal).

Old 04-07-2007, 12:29 PM

926 posts, read 1,328,472 times
As someone said before in here, since the beginning of time teens have wanted to be different/noticed. We did it to our parents too, with the elephant bells, wild colored shirts, etc. I remember my father saying that as long as he was there, no son of his was going to put his feet under the dining room table and eat if he had long hair. That was when I first starting eating in the living room and watching TV.

Old 04-07-2007, 02:15 PM

3,020 posts, read 23,097,532 times
Default Like many threads, this one dances around issues

I still do not understand this subject from an intellectual angle. Why does anyone want to do this? I can understand the historical aspects of why mostly men of certain occupations or experiences would do it. I can also understand certain cultures doing it.

But my take this is a sort of fad and many peeps play a game to sort of belong to a club. I really hate it.

I put myself in the shoes of a man, where a beautiful women undresses and she has no tattoos, WOW!!!! Then I replay that tape, same thing and she has tattoos, where is the improvement??? She has God's most beautiful canvas with clip art on it. And I am supposed to find that arousing, NOT.

It is like these car dealers that put their sticker on the back of my new car. NO, I tell them right up front, NO ADs on the ass of my car.

I don't even like to be a walking ad for blue jeans. Yes, they are mine, pay for your ads. Cut your stupid tag off my ass.

I can also relate it to a beautiful female that gets a tan. If she is naked, the two tone is not that appealing, least to me. (Don't like myself two toned either) Would be great if she was all something all over. Ok, I can do all tanned, I love all not tanned. Babe lets go to a nude beach, or I know in three months it will all go away and back to your wonderful self. I don't see what any form of clip art, which is what a tattoo is to me could ever add to anyone?

In fact this winter I was in Florida and was with some of my relatives. This one guy, one of my most special peeps in the entire World. Had shorts on, we were playing basketball. I didn't see any tattoos. I just knew he was too smart for that stupid game. So I had to ask, he smiled and said NO, never. So I sort of nodded toward his girlfriend, wonderful person. She in that special lil way of her's, pursed up the lips and said, NOooooooooo, in the way she does when special understanding is required. I sort of felt like I had saved two peeps in this crazy World. They, I am sure will never have clip art all over themselves.

Call it a hang up, call it crazy. I just do not see the logic. It looks like trash in most cases. Peeps should have to do a test first before they could get clip art on themselves. One of those wash off prints on their forehead, that says, "Look at me, I am the stupid one here". Like all novelty or fads it may have a way of being very negative in future situations. I see this particular one, playing out like most, testing where are the extremes. Boy, do you really want to be a walking poster for that foul up? It is their bodies, but please do not make me have to see it. Wear outrageous clothes to get attention if you must.

Anyway, just my soapbox. It is how I really feel about it. I suspect there are many like me. When I see a tattoo, that person somehow is degraded a bit in my eyes. I feel that way also about those boob implants. Lord, girl what are you doing. We can love you without endangering your long term health. Improve your character, improve your skills, improve as a person. We will notice and appreciate you so far better. Same thing with that boob deal it is a turn off to me. Can't even play with them, where is the fun really???

Old 04-07-2007, 02:38 PM

4,286 posts, read 13,126,762 times
As Loveboating said the tattoo topic has been discussed many times on here.

I don't think it has to be thought about with an intellectual angle, it's just a matter of personal choice. I don't like the way many things look on other people but who cares, it's their life as long as their a good person doesn't matter. I do know, especially after being involved with several threads on here about tattoos......... people do judge. For the person who started the thread about their son wanting a tattoo on his face, that is a serious matter and especially if he looks up to Mike Tyson. 21 is a very young age to make that kind of life long commitment that could affect every part of his life. Anywhere else on his body he can hide it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or