U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 08:20 AM

12,409 posts, read 13,084,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliy Plashik View Post
Tattoos are for people who are trying to "prove" something. Otherwise what is the point of getting a tattoo. Because it looks "Cool" there you go.
I disagree. Lots of people I know who get tattoos do it as representative of their spiritual beliefs or to commemorate something important in their life, such as death of a loved one. Most spend a long time selecting the art work and it has significant meaning to them. I see it as a form of creative expression, just like clothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 08:29 AM

520 posts, read 1,693,834 times
Well, if my 21 yr old son came home w/a tattoo on his neck I would be shocked! How do I have a 21 yr old son?!!!! I'm only 28!

I think neck tattoos are ok on the back of the neck where they can be covered by a collar or hair. I knew a kid that had flames on the front of his neck, like they were bursting out the top of his shirt. If you are going to get something like that, you need to really think about it because it will affect your job prospects and how people perceive you.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:31 AM

419 posts, read 1,808,662 times
If tattoos are so great, why does someone need to hide them? I do not understand. If they are so mainstream they should be on ones face and neck and showed off with pride!

Old 12-27-2007, 08:47 AM

237 posts, read 773,825 times
I said that my tattoo was not noticeable, not that it was completely hidden. Anyone who looks could and would see it. But it isn't right in their face, and my work and personality are what people notice first. By they time they notice it - if they ever do, most folks just don't look at the back of each others necks - they usually already like me, or at least, respect me for the job I do.

Also, my field is much more conservative than IBM. Seriously. The field I work in is not just conservative - I'd call it downright old-fashioned. But to tell the truth, I take more flak for being a woman than I do for having tattoos, including the one on my neck.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
If tattoos are so great, why does someone need to hide them? I do not understand. If they are so mainstream they should be on ones face and neck and showed off with pride!
The same could be said for genitals, they are great, but not for public view at all times, only in certain circumstances.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:23 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,739,430 times
Originally Posted by questioner2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondD View Post
The same could be said for genitals, they are great, but not for public view at all times, only in certain circumstances.
If we substitute your premise directly into Questioner2's original quote it would read:

"If genitals are so great, why does someone need to hide them? I do not understand. If genitals are so mainstream they should be on ones face and neck and showed off with pride!"

I think this illustrates how ludicrous the debate is over tattoos. The choice and placement of a tattoo is a personal decision just like wearing lipstick or piercing one's ears for an ear-ring. When you make that decision you should do it because you want to, and expect to weather the societal disapproval that goes with it. Unfortunately this may include people that say they are your friends and family that feel your body is their business.

My personal decision includes two tattoos. I have a dragon on my forearm which was done by an accomplished artist. At work I wear french-cuff dress-shirts, not to hide it, but because it will distract others from my tasks. When I am off work, and weather permits wearing short-sleeved shirts, I intentionally use the tattoo to let others know I do not wish to be approached unless I invite them. My personality, my decision.

My second tattoo is high on my right bicep where no on can see it without my shirt off. It is a Golden retriever puppy. Four of my greatest companions in life have been Golden retrievers. This tattoo is only seen by people that I trust with the knowledge that I have a soft side. Life is better for me if strangers don't know this.

PS If you do decide to wear your genitals on your neck, do not have them tattooed. It will make your job interviews more interesting, but will sabotage your career at McDonalds. You can do fries, but they won't let you work the window!

Old 12-27-2007, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
If you do decide to wear your genitals on your neck, do not have them tattooed. It will make your job interviews more interesting, but will sabotage your career at McDonalds. You can do fries, but they won't let you work the window!

LOL Hilarious!!!! I can see it now!!! ROFL !!!!

Old 12-28-2007, 02:26 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,036,503 times
If you want to commemorate something, give money towards the cause. If you want to commemorate someone, give money to an organization that's trying to find cures or help people that have died from what they've died from (Diabetes, cancer, drunk drivers, etc) or do volunteer work at the organization. The money spent on a tattoo would be better off used to assist the cause. If you're into your heritage, visit the place that your ancestors came from and learn about it. Visit the town that your ancestors were from- that's doing more than wearing a symbol on one's body. If you like roses, grow some real roses. Get involved in a community garden or park project There are so many more beneficial ways in which to show your appreciation for someone or something, other than getting a tattoo. That's my opinion.

Old 12-28-2007, 06:48 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,082,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak64 View Post
If you want to commemorate something, give money towards the cause. If you want to commemorate someone, give money to an organization that's trying to find cures or help people that have died from what they've died from (Diabetes, cancer, drunk drivers, etc) or do volunteer work at the organization. The money spent on a tattoo would be better off used to assist the cause. If you're into your heritage, visit the place that your ancestors came from and learn about it. Visit the town that your ancestors were from- that's doing more than wearing a symbol on one's body. If you like roses, grow some real roses. Get involved in a community garden or park project There are so many more beneficial ways in which to show your appreciation for someone or something, other than getting a tattoo. That's my opinion.
Good suggestions! I'm willing to bet though, that many folks who have tattoos also do these very things you spoke of. They just happen to have the tattoos, as well, which is simply another way to commerate the cause, the person, the heritage, etc. It's no different, in my opinion, that those of us who have no tattoos, who spend our money on books, music, movies, collectibles, trips, hobbies...the list is endless, (I won't even begin to guess how much I have spent over the years, on these very things). Could we use our money, (and our time), more wisely, and give more to good causes? Undoubtedly, but it doesn't change the fact that most of us do give.

Old 12-28-2007, 06:48 AM

237 posts, read 773,825 times
Honestly, it isn't anybody's business how I spend my discretionary money. Telling me it is better spent if I do what you say is just silly. It is my money - I spend it my way.

A rose garden is only good part of the year - the roses on my shoulders, with my parents names worked into them bloom all year long. That means more to me.

If you feel that what you listed are better options, then you do them. But don't think that anyone is listening when you tell them how to live their lives and spend their money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or