Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 02:22 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
I would say, "Welcome to the world, you're on your own."

And then he can discover just how hard it is to get a job and rent an apartment with a tattoo on his neck..

greenie
AND "you're outta the will"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 03:15 PM

501 posts, read 1,064,205 times
As long as it's tasteful, I wouldn't care. Of course, I, myself, am in my mid-twenties, so I'm not the best person to answer this question. I have a visible tattoo on my arm, live in Nashville (a conservative city), go to church, and work in the IT industry. My tattoo has never caused me ANY problems whatsoever.

Old 12-26-2007, 03:17 PM

22,146 posts, read 19,198,797 times
it's his body, it's his life, not my place to comment. I might ask, "how did you choose that design?" or "did it hurt?" but other than that not my business. And yes I have children, age 20, 20, and 22

Old 12-26-2007, 03:20 PM

22,146 posts, read 19,198,797 times
and actually I was the mom saying "if you want a tattoo or wild haircut, go for it" and they'd roll their eyes and say, "if you want one go get it yourself" and they are all ultra-conservative and neat in their dress and hair styles, though not in their world views.

Old 12-26-2007, 03:33 PM

278 posts, read 910,157 times
Perhaps this is a bigger deal depending on where you live. After living near and working on a Navy base...I don't even notice tats anymore. I know very few people under 35 who don't have one or two or many more. I don't personally have any...but I have no problem with my teens getting tats after they are old enough.

Old 12-26-2007, 04:37 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,864,315 times
I'd tell him that I was disappointed that he got the tattoo and hope that he has no regrets later in life over getting it. Being in the staffing field, I can't tell you how often hiring managers tell me that the candidates that I present to them cannot have any visible tattoos or piercings. Albeit, these are white collar jobs. I would hope that his neck tattoo doesn't adversely affect his career in any way. I suppose that as the younger people move up the ranks in business, that perhaps hiring managers themselves will have visible neck and facial tattoos and will be open minded to hiring others that do too. But for now, in the business community, it's frowned upon.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:05 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,647,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliy Plashik View Post
Tattoos are for people who are trying to "prove" something. Otherwise what is the point of getting a tattoo. Because it looks "Cool" there you go. That does not compensate for an argument.
Now that just isn't true. People get tattoos for all sorts of reasons. Sure, some people just get them to look 'cool' but people also get them to reflect their personalities, honour loved ones or to pay tribute to and remember close friends or relatives who have died. To say that every person with a tattoo is out to try and prove something is completely ignorant.

Old 12-26-2007, 11:41 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,383,133 times
Just to respond to an earlier poster, I have never seen anyone denied an apartment lease because of a tattoo. Tattoos are not so taboo in the professional workforce either. Granted I worked for non-profit organizations. BUT, they were large and well known non profits, and there were more people than you would think with tattoos and piercings.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:49 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,864,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
Just to respond to an earlier poster, I have never seen anyone denied an apartment lease because of a tattoo. Tattoos are not so taboo in the professional workforce either. Granted I worked for non-profit organizations. BUT, they were large and well known non profits, and there were more people than you would think with tattoos and piercings.
Again, I find people jobs for a living and am told often by clients that they don't want to interview candidates with visible tattoos or piercings. They'll interview and hire them, as long as tattoos are covered. Perhaps it's more conservative here and again, in time that may change. But I can't assist anyone with a neck tattoo on finding a job unless a shirt with a collar can hid it.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:00 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,387 times
I don't have a problem with tattoos, as a general rule, however, I do think that it behooves the person getting them to give consideration as to how they will be perceived by others, most particularly when they are trying to land a job. They may think it's not important, and that people should not judge them, but folks do make judgements, based on that first impression. It may not be fair, but that's how the world works. I find myself looking twice at someone who has tattoos on the neck or face, as it gives the impression of a street thug, even if that person is not one, simply because that is the group who seems to sport them that way, the most often. When it comes to tattoos, thoughtful discretion is not such a bad idea.

And yes, my children do have tattoos. My daughter has three tattoos, one at the base of her neck, which is generally covered by her hair; one in the small of her back; and one on her left ribcage, both of which are also usually covered by her clothing. The one on her neck is a pretty lotus flower, not overly large. The other two are Celtic-themed, as a nod to her Celtic heritage. My son has one on his upper left arm, so that he can cover it easily, if needed. It is also Celtic-themed. Both of my children waited until they were of age, and they paid for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty