Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 11:58 AM

382 posts, read 954,097 times

Advertisements

If he's 21 then he's a man and can do whatever he wants. However, at 21 he would have been out of my house and on his own several years earlier. If he does live on his own, its his money and his business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2007, 01:57 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,120,292 times
Thumbs up Depends upon his age

If he were under eighteen then he would have to answer for not seeking our advice before defacing his body and penalties would be doled out. If he were over 18 we would have no say but he wouldn't be living under our roof any longer.

Old 12-25-2007, 06:41 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I would think I failed as a mother.
I would no longer support him (if you are).

Old 12-26-2007, 10:18 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,335,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
Tattoos are very popular right now especially with the young. I wonder if some of the people who get Tattoos today will regret having one 20-30-40 years from how when they are older and more mature.

A friends boy got his first tattoo on his 21st Birthday and it is huge on his neck. He is also thinking of getting one on his face just like his hero Mike Tyson (the boxer). What would you say to your son if he got a tattoo in such a ovious location?
I would have my son locked up for having a 'hero' such as Mike Tyson.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:27 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,396,923 times
I would say, "Welcome to the world, you're on your own."

And then he can discover just how hard it is to get a job and rent an apartment with a tattoo on his neck..

greenie

Old 12-26-2007, 11:32 AM

237 posts, read 859,781 times
A lot of this is sooo funny.

I am a professional woman, working at my company's corporate headquarters in a very conservative field and yes, I have a tattoo on my neck.

However, it is not noticeable with either my hair worn down or a collared shirt. It is on the back of my neck.

Also, I got it in my mid-twenties. I am not ashamed of it nor do I regret it. I doubt I ever will. I got something that symbolizes where I am from, my home area. I am proud of where I am from. And when I travel and have it visible, people know where I'm from (and I've met lots of great people who strike up conversations or share memories/stories with me because of it.)

My parents aren't crazy about tattoos, but I haven't lived in their home or been supported by them in a long, long time. My mom and brother are actually both pretty impressed that not only do I support myself, but that I can afford good tattoos by some of the best in the business (good tattoos aren't cheap, cheap tattoos aren't good)

It isn't the end of the world.

However, I would be pretty worried about anyone who thought Mike Tyson was a hero. I think he is a simple-minded man who only learned to get by in life by violence or exploitation (some of which is probably due to be exploited himself - but that is another topic) and that sure doesn't fit any definition of hero I know.

Old 12-26-2007, 12:01 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,396,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzeeq521 View Post
AHowever, it is not noticeable with either my hair worn down or a collared shirt. It is on the back of my neck.
Having a tattoo that nobody can see is like having no tattoo.

Unfortunately, many people do judge tattoos and not all tattoos are done in good taste. Walking around in a business suit with a visible tattoo on the neck may make it difficult to get a job at IBM or Xerox or many of the other conservative companies. I think it has the potential of limiting one's options.

Greenie

Old 12-26-2007, 12:01 PM

7,573 posts, read 10,616,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
It's his face....I would caution him that it might make it more difficult to get a job, but I would leave it at that.
I agree. Although I would be extremely upset, I've noticed with my older ones the more I object to a decision they have made, the more appealing it is to them. Jeannie

Old 12-26-2007, 01:42 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,378,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
You need to think Hepatitis C. Over 30% of those foolish enough to get a tattoo develop hepatitis C. Tattoo parlors not known for a pristine environment.
Please cite the research data source you are quoting for the "over 30%" rate.
I am interested in the validity since most shops in this area use good aseptic technique and are regulated by the Dept of Health. Thanks.

Old 12-26-2007, 01:51 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,378,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_NC View Post
If he were under eighteen then he would have to answer for not seeking our advice before defacing his body and penalties would be doled out. If he were over 18 we would have no say but he wouldn't be living under our roof any longer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I would think I failed as a mother.
I would no longer support him (if you are).
I guess I am surprised by severity of the above opinions. If a man is 21 years old, he can vote, drink, and fight for his country. Would you lament parental failure or disown your son if he voted against your party of preference, had a beer after work, or signed up to be a Marine?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty