U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-19-2009, 03:37 PM
 
Location: So Cal
13,995 posts, read 10,133,976 times
Reputation: 12363

Advertisements

Is it just me or does anything claiming to be "moisturizing" now just make you feel slippery? Like shower gels, hair conditioner, etc. It just seems to leave a coating that you can't rinse off. I almost feel like I'm putting a sealant on. I don't remember products feeling this way back in the day.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-19-2009, 07:16 PM
 
314 posts, read 1,011,827 times
Reputation: 278
No, not just you. I grit my teeth when I go to a cosmetics counter and get a demo of a new foundation. First thing out of their mouths is, "What kind of MOISTURIZER do you use"? I tell them it always clogs my pores and they smile as though I'm "simple". Then they proceed to "show me" how nice the foundation goes on with it. If I purchase foundation, they *always* throw in that magical moisturizer. I'll admit I did break down and try the last sample, and you know what happened? Clogged pores and break outs!

Last week I got a new "moisturizing" body wash as a gift and gave it a try. Was soooo slimy that it caused my bath mat to roll up (never did that with any other bath product) and I nearly fell! Into the trash it went.

Won't even discuss shampoos with "moisturizer" in them. Grrrrr!!!!!!

The very worst moisturizer for me is one in a lotion for the entire body. Have you ever tried to get to sleep in a humid (FL) climate with a moisturizer coating and blocking your pores? Makes for a fun evening when you finally throw the cover back and head for the shower to wash that gunk off and let your skin breathe! No, I don't much care for "moisturizers".
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2009, 07:53 PM
 
Location: Upstate NY
1,289 posts, read 2,325,868 times
Reputation: 3689
I've gone through tons of different kinds of moisturizers before I found one that wasn't too slippery that I was happy with. It's also part of the reason I generally only apply it at night after I shower and then sort of rinse off the extra when I get washed in the morning.

I don't really care much for moisturizers either, especially in the summer, but I have kind of dry skin (mostly in that "T" zone) and if I don't use moisturizer I get annoying little bumps on my face.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2009, 08:53 PM
 
Location: So Cal
13,995 posts, read 10,133,976 times
Reputation: 12363
Glad to know it's not just me. And if I do use a shower gel (always received as a gift), I certainly can't use it on my feet or I'll have to pull the ol' "I've fallen and I can't get up!"
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2009, 08:57 PM
 
1,091 posts, read 3,233,042 times
Reputation: 1039
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Is it just me or does anything claiming to be "moisturizing" now just make you feel slippery? Like shower gels, hair conditioner, etc. It just seems to leave a coating that you can't rinse off. I almost feel like I'm putting a sealant on. I don't remember products feeling this way back in the day.
Maybe you're just naturally greasy, like me.
I've never been able to abide any sort of lotion of moisturizer. I still have oily skin and even an occasional zit, and I'm in my mid-thirties!
On the bright side, I don't really look my age.
If you're on the oily side, you just don't need moisturizer, no matter what your age and no matter what the ads say.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2009, 09:00 PM
 
Location: Syracuse IS Central New York.
8,516 posts, read 3,812,150 times
Reputation: 4005
I find that it's better to use simpler, cheaper moisturizers as opposed to newer, more complex ones that are always more expensive. I especially like Olay, the original pink for the winter, as it goes on very smooth, absorbs, and most importantly does NOT clog my pores. In the summer, I like Olay complete with sunscreen (SPF 15). It's a little thicker and not as absorbent due to the sunscreen. It also does not clog my pores.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2009, 09:35 PM
 
1,730 posts, read 4,336,771 times
Reputation: 850
Default My skin is very dry!!!!

What FACE CREME moisturizer would you recommend for me? Thank you!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2009, 03:53 PM
 
1,116 posts, read 2,541,365 times
Reputation: 1468
Everyone talks about how breakout prone skin NEEDS moisturizers, and how gentle products are the best and whatever. I don't believe it. Last time I got a facial, I had breakouts for weeks because she used "gentle" products and greased me up like a pig.

I use a apricot scrub and a peroxide cream every night and that's what keeps my skin nice.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2009, 10:40 PM
 
Location: So Cal
13,995 posts, read 10,133,976 times
Reputation: 12363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
Maybe you're just naturally greasy, like me.
I've never been able to abide any sort of lotion of moisturizer. I still have oily skin and even an occasional zit, and I'm in my mid-thirties!
On the bright side, I don't really look my age.
If you're on the oily side, you just don't need moisturizer, no matter what your age and no matter what the ads say.
Why, thank you for the compliment, Jane72. No one's ever called me greasy before. Just kidding. It's true. And I'm in my mid-forties!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
I find that it's better to use simpler, cheaper moisturizers as opposed to newer, more complex ones that are always more expensive. I especially like Olay, the original pink for the winter, as it goes on very smooth, absorbs, and most importantly does NOT clog my pores. In the summer, I like Olay complete with sunscreen (SPF 15). It's a little thicker and not as absorbent due to the sunscreen. It also does not clog my pores.
I will actually use Noxzema as a moisturizer (although I just read recently how someone said you should *never* use Noxzema because the camphor/menthol/eucalyptus is an irritant to the skin - ). It just feels cleaner to me. And the scent reminds me of my childhood.

I also like Olay, but I think I started putting too much on because I started to break out a little. I like its light scent, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderbear View Post
Everyone talks about how breakout prone skin NEEDS moisturizers, and how gentle products are the best and whatever. I don't believe it. Last time I got a facial, I had breakouts for weeks because she used "gentle" products and greased me up like a pig.

I use a apricot scrub and a peroxide cream every night and that's what keeps my skin nice.
LOL!

I use an apricot scrub, too. I think exfoliators are to me what moisturizers are to some others!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2009, 11:23 AM
 
Location: Coachella Valley, California
15,533 posts, read 35,646,549 times
Reputation: 13126
I don't like a lot of moisturizers either. I use Olay body wash in the shower and it feels nice. No greasy residue, but I do feel soft after I use it. I too have tried a million different products for my face and for my body. I've found some of the MAC moisturizers for my face are good and not too greasy, but some are. My old standby is Olay beauty fluid for my face. Not greasy at all. For my body, I have a variety of different lotions, but the one I like best is just plain old Johnson & Johnson Baby Lotion. Not greasy either. I don't use anything "moisturizing" for my hair. I use Color Vive shampoo and conditioner because I have my hair dyed black about every 2-3 months and it really helps maintain my color until my next visit to the salon.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top