U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2009, 02:30 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,154,612 times

Advertisements

If they have no visible lines or wrinkles- what can possibly make them appear older? Is it how they dress maybe?

I have seen teenagers that have lines or wrinkles and such but then I see people well into their 30s that dont- yet they dont quite look like teenagers. But I just wonder what perceptions people have about age.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:34 PM

15,533 posts, read 35,641,148 times
It could be a lot of things. It could be the clothes someone wears, their hairstyle, their glasses, their posture, their gait, the way they conduct themselves. It could be anything.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:38 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,232,663 times
I notice that once people are in their 30s- sometimes a little sooner or later- there is a sort of slackening, a loosening of the facial skin, especially around the mouth and in the cheeks.
It's not "wrinkles", per se.
It's just that the skin is not as firm and tight as it once was.
It's as if the layer of fat under the facial skin disappears as we age, leaving the skin lying directly over the bones.

I don't know what would change this, except maybe a face lift; but even then, your face would look unnaturally gaunt, because the cheek fat is basically gone.

Another thing that ages people is obesity, and slouchy posture.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:40 PM

13,496 posts, read 13,968,489 times
after age 22 or so one loses the bright light of youth in your eyes. the naive seems to slowly go away the older you are. the eyes become more mature. you can look young for age, good for your age but even at your best you no longer have the look of true youth. add any of the rest, wrinkles, clothes, hair style and attitude can either help or hinder your "look"

Old 05-25-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
after age 22 or so one loses the bright light of youth in your eyes. the naive seems to slowly go away the older you are. the eyes become more mature. you can look young for age, good for your age but even at your best you no longer have the look of true youth. add any of the rest, wrinkles, clothes, hair style and attitude can either help or hinder your "look"
After age 22??? Where on earth do you live? Most people to me seem to stay youthful until the mid 40s or so.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
I notice that once people are in their 30s- sometimes a little sooner or later- there is a sort of slackening, a loosening of the facial skin, especially around the mouth and in the cheeks.
It's not "wrinkles", per se.
It's just that the skin is not as firm and tight as it once was.
It's as if the layer of fat under the facial skin disappears as we age, leaving the skin lying directly over the bones.

I don't know what would change this, except maybe a face lift; but even then, your face would look unnaturally gaunt, because the cheek fat is basically gone.

Another thing that ages people is obesity, and slouchy posture.
Thats interesting you think obesity makes people look older. What about obese teenagers? Do they look middle aged to you?

I think obesity actually makes people look younger. Really thin people tend to look years older than they are.

Also I disagree about 30s. I think its more 40s or so that people start to lose the elasticity of the skin. In the 30s there is usually a glow about the skin.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:48 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,232,663 times
Quote:
Thats interesting you think obesity makes people look older. What about obese teenagers? Do they look middle aged to you?
Yes, obese teenage girls can look quite matronly; I've seen girls who look older than their own mothers, because of their weight.

Teeth are another thing that show age. Our teeth just get duller and yellower as we get older.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:49 PM

5,007 posts, read 7,662,610 times
White sugar and flour. Alcohol. Cigarettes. Drugs. Soda pop.

I read somewhere the best way to eat is the closest to nature that you can get. Fruits and vegetables. Drink lots of water. Exercise. Get a good night's sleep.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:50 PM

10,715 posts, read 22,321,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
If they have no visible lines or wrinkles- what can possibly make them appear older? Is it how they dress maybe?

I have seen teenagers that have lines or wrinkles and such but then I see people well into their 30s that dont- yet they dont quite look like teenagers. But I just wonder what perceptions people have about age.
I am 26 and I say I look like I am my mid 20's but I guess I am getting wiser and did all the stupid stuff people do when the are in their late teens and early 20's but then a again I have to work to pay rent and car insurance and all the other bills so I guess I became responsible

Old 05-25-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
Yes, obese teenage girls can look quite matronly; I've seen girls who look older than their own mothers, because of their weight.

Teeth are another thing that show age. Our teeth just get duller and yellower as we get older.
Okay, I just wondered. I wonder why to me that heavier people look younger than thinner people. Maybe its the thinness obsessed society we live in.

I think obese teens look almost childlike while thin teens look more like they are 25 or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.