Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 08:55 PM

862 posts, read 1,643,069 times

Advertisements

Not about Wal-Mart but about judging people by how they are dressed. When my husband and I went to buy wedding rings he had just gotten back from a convention where he had to wear a suit & tie about 18 hours day for 6 days. He was sick of clothes. We went shopping in nice clean jeans with no holes, and newer t-shirts. Stopped by Zales, no other customers, but even after we motioned to a sales person nobody would help us. Headed over to Helzburgs. Had one lady talk to us long enough to say she'd be right back, and we waited for almost 5 minutes and left. Walked the mall a bit and saw Brendan Diamonds. As soon as it looked as if we were showing interest in the store we had to sales people over asking if they could help. Needless to say that's where we spent our $, and I went back to Helzburgs and showed my diamond, and the receipt for the rings that was over $3,000 to the lady who told us to wait and never came back so she could kiss her commission goodbye. I'm sure Zales and Helzburgs thought we were just looking and not really interested in buying because of how were were dressed. But the fact remains, you should never judge a book by the clothes it wears. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 10:26 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
My uncle went through that when he retired from the oil field work. After his retirement, he was hired back as a consultant which is part time work but it paid a great deal of money. He'd just gotten through working with his horses when he and his wife went to the local Mercury dealership (late 80s early 90s) to finally buy a brand new fully loaded Grand Marquis. The salesmen at first practically ignored him and gave him such a hassle that he walked off the lot. He went to the next parish (we have parishes instead of counties) and that Mercury dealership treated him better. He picked out one that had all the options available at the time and authorized a bank transfer of money to cover the entire cost of the sale of the vehicle. He left the dealer with a brand new paid for vehicle. First stop on the way home was that other Mercury dealership. He drove up with his car and sales papers and pointedly told the manager and salemen of the commission they missed out on because of their stuck up attitude towards him. That dealership didn't last much longer before they went out of business. Guess he wasn't the only customer upset by their service. Just because a guy is wearing worn cowboy boots and over-all jeans doesn't mean they don't have money. It means they were working and didn't want to shower twice a day just to get "gussied up" just to go to the store.

Old 09-05-2009, 11:13 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
I usually wear jeans (or jean shorts) and a decent t-shirt or polo shirt. If I don't feel like putting gel in my hair I will throw on a ball cap. I wear normal shoes, no crocks or flip flops.

I don't think I could ever wear pajamas into a store, or even sweat pants for that matter.

Old 09-05-2009, 11:15 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If you're hanging around the house very casually, and you decide to go to WalMart or McDonalds or Piggly Wiggly, do you dress? Or just go as you are, putting on something legal if necessary?
When I am home I more then likely only have on a pair of underwear and a t-shirt so yes, I do put on some clothes to go out. However nothing amazing, a pair of shorts more then likely, a t-shirt and sandals.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:36 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
I think that someone paying $134 for a pair of jeans is the one who's ridiculous.

Old 09-06-2009, 05:53 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I think that someone paying $134 for a pair of jeans is the one who's ridiculous.
I have to agree with you there.

I dress how I can afford and how I feel comfortable. If others have a problem with that then they can go and screw themselves. Thats one of the things I LOVE about Florida, most of the time a pair of shorts and a tshirt and sandals is totally appropriate weather wise. I would dress the same if I were going into Macy's as well.

OH and I don't wear makeup usually. Normally my skin has enough tan that I am not pale and I have very clear nice skin, so why bother.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:06 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Perhaps it's because many of the people in Walmart on the scooters are living on disability and can't afford to shop at Macys.
When I lived where there was a mall near, I would wander around Macy's. Lots of fancy clothes and spiffy displays, but clothes are not worth what they wanted. I shopped at Walmart or the better thrift shops for clothes. Have Walmart here but miss my thrift shops. I think once someone discovers that you can look just as good at a fraction of the price they are less willing to spend Macys prices and that many have. Not only do they have competation from places with reasonable costs but online dealers that often sell the same stuff Macy's does. Anyone buy from Overstock, for instance?

The other thing is that Macy's probably doesn't have many carts. Would they want them? I'm sure there are those who could afford to shop there who need the carts but perhaps Macy's does not want that image. I'm sure they are required to provide some, but not make it easy to slip through the store with them. Personally I avoid stores that have such a high opinion of themselves. I'd rather pay regular prices at a store that accepts everyone than pay deep discounts at one that would rather not have the riftraff.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:19 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Cheap skate!

Old 10-17-2009, 10:18 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,376,749 times
Remember, no matter how bad you look, there is always somebody at Walmart dressed worse than you are:

www.peopleofwalmart.com

prepare to be amaze and horrified

Old 10-18-2009, 08:17 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If you're hanging around the house very casually, and you decide to go to WalMart or McDonalds or Piggly Wiggly, do you dress? Or just go as you are, putting on something legal if necessary?
yeahh i don't go to those places...sorry, I have alot more class than that...and I actually care about my body enough to not put sh*t like McD's in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty