Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 02:45 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,448,141 times

Advertisements

I just got back from the mall, where I tried on a pair of pants and a shirt in this dressing room at Nordstroms. It was a huge, plush dressing room with a gigantic mirror lit top to bottom by halogen lights.

I slid off my clothes and looked in horror at myself in the mirror as those lights lit up ever dimple, capillary, and vein on my poor, pale little body. The trauma inflicted on me this afternoon was so severe that I have so far eaten five chocolate chip cookies and I am staring down a bottle of red wine.

Has anyone else suffered a similar experience with halogen lights in dressing rooms? How much chocolate and red wine did it take you to recover?

Thanks,

Woofers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 03:00 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times
You just can't enter one of those things without a couple of cocktails first.

Old 06-20-2009, 03:23 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,697,822 times
Yes I understand You may also be a little squeamish thinking about outdoor lighting. The mirror is down in our bedroom right now since we are having work done and I think it is really good since I used to come home from work and get all depressed at how rotten I looked Just skip the chocolate and look at yourself in some candlight

Old 06-20-2009, 03:30 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,592,508 times
I definitely have "favorite" mirrors and less favorite mirrors.
One thing I notice about full-length mirrors is that they tend to distort the image they reflect ever so slightly, making it longer and thinner (I've tested this perception by holding my hand up to the glass: yep. My hand is definitely not that long and thin). The farther back one stands from these mirrors, the greater the distortion effect.
So, while I tend to look great- willowy and graceful- in full-length mirrors, I don't trust this perception, because of the distortion factor.
Reflections in car windows distort images the opposite way: they make you look short and squat and wider than you really are.

My bathroom mirror gives me a fairly accurate reflection, in my opinion, although I can only see myself from about the waist up when I stand in front of it.
I tend to perch on my bathroom counter with my feet in the sink when I'm putting on makeup or fixing my hair, because I'm so near-sighted.

Old 06-20-2009, 03:32 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,849,768 times
Yep a couple of martinis before and you'll be fine-you'll think you have Jolie's body.

Old 06-20-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
You just can't enter one of those things without a couple of cocktails first.
Good advice, GloryB.... Thank you!

Old 06-20-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
I definitely have "favorite" mirrors and less favorite mirrors.
Nothing is more evil than halogen.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:54 PM

5,012 posts, read 10,692,515 times
Oh, I was shopping about a month ago and had the same complaint! I tried on some clothes in a store whose clothes I love and was horrified at their dressing room conditions! I will never shop there again, especially considering that I went to a store after that one that had the most beautifully lit-woman loving mirrors and lighting. I actually said to the saleswoman, "OMG, I love your dressing rooms. I just came from the most horrific dressing rooms at such-and-such!" Suffice to say, I bought a ton of stuff from the store with the better dressing room.
Seriously, when are stores going to realize that an investment in user-friendly dressing rooms will increase their revenues? I don't care how great the clothes are; I'm not going to buy anything if their dressing room makes me feel like ****.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I don't care how great the clothes are; I'm not going to buy anything if their dressing room makes me feel like ****.
Amen.

Honestly, this Nordstrom dressing room was the worst experience ever. The dressing room itself was nice, but the halogen lights that surrounded the mirror top to bottom created the MOST unflattering lighting imaginable. Even my arms had shadows and dimples! What were people thinking when they designed that room? I have no idea.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:20 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,661,496 times
Ugh.

I'm a fit, toned, in-shape person with nary an ounce of body fat, but I tell you what-- those damn lights draw out the absolute worst in me. Suddenly I'm 50, haggard and look like I just soaked myself in gasoline and chain-sawed my way through a parking lot of zombies to find this pair of jeans.

As someone who has "alabaster" skin by generous standards and "cadaver" tones by more truthful standards, I feel your pain. Every vein, line and lost night of sleep comes into play.

I'm not even 30. I fooking hate those miserable halogen lights. We should agree to meet somewhere, get really drunk and smash them before the staff knows what we're doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty