Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 08:39 PM

52,193 posts, read 52,623,070 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to get my SO to get her nosed pierced. I'm talking about something small and delicate. A little tiny diamond stud. I always liked the way Indian women look with all of the facial jewelry that they have.

She's a work at home fur mom/wife. So an employer isn't really an issue at this point.

What do guys think???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 08:43 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,460,704 times
No no no no no! This isn't India! If she gets the little diamond stud put in her nose what's next...a BIG round dot in the middle of her forehead???

Old 06-13-2009, 08:44 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,443,002 times
I think that it should be something one chooses to do for themselves, not for someone else. I personally think I would find it annoying to have something in my nose. DD has one, she likes it but said it was painful to get done.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:12 PM

19,374 posts, read 15,217,290 times
I'm the SO. I like the way it looks, a little tiny chip, but I'm just not sure about the maintenance... I'm also not crazy about having a hole in my nose for the rest of my life.

I saw a posting online where the woman said it hurt like crazy! But, actually, that's the least of my worries. That's only temporary. (Said the tough gal.)

Old 06-13-2009, 09:17 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,460,704 times
How does one blow their nose having that thing in there??? What about when you get a head cold and your nose stuffs up?

Facial piercings seem so primitive to me. I must be getting old...LOL

Old 06-13-2009, 10:03 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,896,840 times
Suggestion?

Why don't you go with having your tongue pierced first?

Now before you all freak out, hear me out.

Your tongue is much easier to pierce imo because you don't have that outter layer of epidermis to pierce AND it's a larger and more easily accessed for the piercer.

From my experience with a tongue piercing I would say they're more discrete, so it's a way to have a piercing, in a place (imo) where it's less painful to pierce AND if you decide you don't like it and remove it you're not going to have scarring in a noticeable place AND the hole closes over VERY QUICKLY. (I had my piercing removed whilst in hospital due to needing an MRI. That was the Monday and I could find no one that would help me put the piercing back in and I'd say by about the Thursday it was impossible to do so because the hole had already closed over a good deal.)

If you've not had body parts pierced or you're unsure I think it's a really great first option. After I had my tongue pierced I got my belly button pierced.

Some people will treat you differently if you have facial piercings (which I find really annoying) so perhaps try a tongue piercing first as a kind of "test" case?

(I'll also add that friends that have had facial piercings, eyebrows, labret, noses do find that the holes take a great deal longer to close over.)

Old 06-13-2009, 10:13 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,006,208 times
some people can wear an ethnic style colors, outfit, hair style, nose ring, and look fine, they look the part. some people just look stupid. they look like they are wearing a costume or it just doesn't suit them very well. kinda like the bald head look for me.....some guys look great other guys well not so much. why don't you pierce your nose if you are the opne that likes it?

Old 06-14-2009, 01:01 AM

3,467 posts, read 8,140,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I think that it should be something one chooses to do for themselves, not for someone else.
I agree. It's her appearance, so let her make the decision and then let it be.

Old 06-14-2009, 02:22 AM

1,806 posts, read 5,703,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
I'm the SO. I like the way it looks, a little tiny chip, but I'm just not sure about the maintenance... I'm also not crazy about having a hole in my nose for the rest of my life.

I saw a posting online where the woman said it hurt like crazy! But, actually, that's the least of my worries. That's only temporary. (Said the tough gal.)
The hole will go away if you decide to remove the jewelry. It takes a while to completely disappear, but unless you stretch, it isn't going to be noticeable.

Ok...here we go. No, does not hurt like crazy if the piercer is experienced (fast and accurate)...it's a quick, hard pinch, eyes watering and lip sneering experience and then a light endorphin rush and slight soreness for some time after. (I could describe in detail about other areas of the body that would hurt much more. Ahem.) The main discomfort afterward is the swelling and possible redness...as the piercing heals, the swelling subsides. (Jewelry is adjusted or resized as the swelling goes down.) Over-cleaning will contribute to 'problems'. Maintenance is much less than what used to be recommended. Now, sea salt soaks or plain bottled water and not turning the jewelry is promoted over the old-fashioned BAD Bactine, turn-ouch-turn of yore. Keep the piercing clean, dry and hands off.

Do some research locally and then go in to talk with a reputable piercer...go somewhere where piercing is WHAT they do...and remember, you get what you pay for.

First time around I had a ring and liked that but when I decided to do my septum in addition, it got a bit...well...Modern Primitive. I get my freak on with the best of 'em, but I still had a real job in the real world...Wasn't going for the full-out effect. Kept septum, lost nostril. Took the ring out, let that heal. That hole now resembles a pore. Completely blended.
Years later, decided to wear a ball or gem instead, got pierced again. Went with a diminutive gemstone, have one in an emerald and another in peridot - had the shop oxidize the titanium to a bronze, which I also did to my septum ring. An antique feel - more unusual, not so BLING shiny. The color combination is quite refined, considering the type of jewelry we speak of.
I did not do well with the screw style nostril jewelry first time around, could never get the bend to adjust well enough (I have a very thin nose...) so this time I went with the flat-back, threadless tension stud Threaded jewelry and body piercing (http://www.piercing.org/faq/threading.html#Titanium - broken link) Threadless Jewelry: General Info and Instructions and have been in love ever since.

Should you find the need to disguise your piercing, you can go this route:
Retainers | Kolo Piercing

Oh, someone mentioned colds. Mucus. I clean daily with cotton swabs and water. I check from time to time to see if anything is...ick...and because my stud fits flush against my nostril, there is no real exposure or issues concerning...ick. When I have serious nasal irritation, I remove my retainer or ring...I've had it long enough that a day or two out can be afforded, but replacement takes time and patience.

I'm not sure I follow the recommendation to try a tongue piercing...not the same...anything. I'm just puzzled by the comparison.

Anyway, I had 15 piercings...now down to 5.

Last edited by 33458; 06-14-2009 at 02:36 AM..

Old 06-14-2009, 01:39 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,738,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post

You can get a very, very small stud... the hole will be barely visible when it's out (will look like a pore sort of) and if you leave it out for awhile it will completely go away.

I haven't had my nose done, but with my other piercings I've found it's a decent amount of maintenance the first few months, after that I barely do anything. Nose may require a bit more work to clean but even then it wouldn't be much. I use a cotton swab with Tea Tree Oil on my periodically.

It will hurt, but will be done really fast. After that, the first couple weeks will be tender, but you will really only notice if you sleep on your side/stomach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty