Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 04:30 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,147,243 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about this today. I wear them to work now many times and would never had done so several years ago. I try to reserve the true flip flop type for casual day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 08:45 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,921,994 times
I'm in Florida- it's pretty normal but I have noticed the growing popularity nationwide. It's amazing how high fashioned sandals can get. I don't believe everyone should wear them. Men and women both need to embrace the importance of a GOOD pedicure before going out in sandals!

Old 06-27-2009, 06:56 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,147,243 times
Pedicures are the new hosiery!

Old 06-28-2009, 12:11 PM

445 posts, read 1,444,082 times
The flip-flop craze has certainly accelerated. I work in NYC and a lot of women here wear flip-flops to work. Years ago, I never used to see guys wearing flip-flops but it's become quite common, especially among young guys.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:41 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,776,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillife View Post
The flip-flop craze has certainly accelerated. I work in NYC and a lot of women here wear flip-flops to work. Years ago, I never used to see guys wearing flip-flops but it's become quite common, especially among young guys.
In the wealthy enclaves outside of NYC(i.e: Greenwich/New Canaan, Ct.), it almost seems as if the "older" guys are wearing them more than their teenage sons are.

Old 06-28-2009, 04:05 PM

402 posts, read 850,787 times
Default yes

As a college age student guy, I have to say I wear sandals (fancy flipflops) all the time. They are much more comfortable, and they are so easy to put on and take off. I also dont stink up my shoes with sweat.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:53 PM

41 posts, read 127,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanuaryGirl View Post
A lot of "older" guys have reservations about them still. I think a big part of it is the increasing availability of outdoor "lifestyle" brands and products. In the past decade outdoor brands like Merrell, Keen, The North Face, etc. have become popular for everyday wear instead of being just for people that actually do a lot of stuff outdoors. Now, guys can buy sandals from these brands and they look a little more rugged and less effeminate. When I sold these brands a lot of guys in their 40s-50s (and even 30s) would come in never having worn sandals before. Often it was their wives' idea, but being able to buy brands that they recognized as more "manly" seemed to help.
I've noticed that also. Seems that a lot of women are pushing their husbands/boyfriends to start wearing them. Last time I went shopping for shoes, I noticed a few women trying to get their men to try on certain sandals. One couple actually started arguing because he didn't want to try them on, lol.

I was never a sandal guy until recently when my girlfriend at the time suggested that I start wearing them. I resisted at first but then started to enjoy wearing them and wish I would have started sooner.

I also had (and still have) reservations about wearing them in certain situations. It took some time to get over it somewhat and start feeling comfortable wearing them around town. Still haven't worked up the courage to wear them to social gatherings where family or friends are present. For some reason I feel funny about wearing them around family...probably since most of the guys in the familiy wear closed toed shoes and boots. I used to keep my feet covered all the time as a kid and refused to take off my socks lol so it would feel kinda funny to start wearing flip flops all of a sudden.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Sandals were huge in the 70s... they are just cycling around again.
Really? I wasn't around in the 70s. The first time I noticed sandals really getting popular was the mid 90s. Guys and girls were wearing sport sandals. Then backless sandals becamse popular and then flip flops got big. I wonder if the flip flop fad is here to stay (like jeans) or if the popularity will fade eventually.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
I'm in Florida- it's pretty normal but I have noticed the growing popularity nationwide. It's amazing how high fashioned sandals can get. I don't believe everyone should wear them. Men and women both need to embrace the importance of a GOOD pedicure before going out in sandals!
I agree that some people have no business wearing them. Do you recommend that guys get full pedicures from a salon? My feet are in pretty decent shape since I wear shoes/socks pretty much all week until the weekend. But I'm sure as summer goes on, that will probably change. Now that I'm wearing them more than I have in the past, I noticed that my feet are getting a little dry.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillife View Post
Yeah it's the same in the midwest during the summer months. Went to the outlet mall the other day and from what I saw, it seemed that the majority of people my age (20s and 30s) were wearing flip flops. I didn't see too many sandals (except for the olders folks)...it was almost all flip flops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty