Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 08:52 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times

Advertisements

I like the look of black liner (on eyes, not lips) and classic red lips, for a costumey look, but it just looks out of place on me. My personal style is too different from that, it's incongruous on me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 06:21 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,601,624 times
Egads, I just saw an old photo and I was wearing white frosted lipstick. Bleh!

Old 07-13-2009, 01:19 AM

129 posts, read 494,118 times
I used to just wear liquid eyeliner. But now, sometimes I also put white eyeshadow right below my eyes. I find that it sort of makes your eyes look sparkly. Sometimes, if I feel tired, I wear red lipstick because I feel brighter. I don't wear any blush or any colors on my face. I just keep it black and white, besides the lips. Also, I have the best powder in the world!!!!

Old 07-15-2009, 11:18 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,886,160 times
When I was younger I wore way too much of everything, at times (not all the time). I used to be heavy on the mascara (almost like Tammy Faye Baker, but not as dramatic). It shows in my senior pics of me. I used to be heavy on the eyebrow pencil (yikes!!) and heavy on the lipstick (very bright, bold colors) and heavy on the eyeliner at times. I really just didn't know what the heck I was doing.

Now, I don't wear eyeliner (hardly ever), just a tiny bit of foundation, 1 coat of mascara, lipgloss (a light color), and just a light colored eyeshadow. That's pretty much it. And I do use an eyebrow pencil just to give a little tiny bit of definition to my brows, not a whole lot like when I was younger.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:31 PM

562 posts, read 2,403,439 times
I used to just love the purple eyeshadow in the 80,s, then the dark red MAC lipstick in the 90's. Now putting on lots of make-up makes me look older. Good skincare, great eyebrows, and nice curled mascara thats not too heavy makes me look younger and better than a full face of make-up. I love red lipstick but not the way it looks on me. Coral or soft plum is way better. Brown lips look awful, but its not in style any more.
My flattering eyeshadow shades are light brown and medium brown. No more teal, no more plum, no more black eyeliner. But thats fine, since I have daughters to buy crazy colors for!!!

Old 07-18-2009, 01:40 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,674 times
I used to be able to wear lilac eyeshadow covering my browbone. I spent more time putting on foundation, shading, doing my brows. Thick false eyelashes. Bright lipstick from Helen Neushaefer, Pan Stick, Green eyeshadow, eyeliner. Those days are gone. I don't care. Nowadays, I use a SFP light powder over my face, a hint of blush, cream shadows on my eyes, and tad of kohl liner powder to cut sun glare, and a hint of colored lip gloss. I cannot carry off the dark lipstick any more. I am always partial to a hot pink lipstick, however.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:38 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Hmmmm.....upon reflection, I probably wear as much makeup now as I did them - but I use different make up though and to achieve a different result. I use concealer for the dark circles under my eyes (heredity and it is more noticable as I age and stay out of the sun or use sunscreen than my younger days as a sun worshipper), a tinted moisturizer with SPF just to kind of even things up followed by a very light dusting of transluscent powder just to set it all; if I'm feeling particularly pasty looking that morning I may touch on a bit of bronzing powder (but very seldom); eyes - typically a bit of shadow that is a shade or two darker than my skin tone and a little bit of soft brown liner and mascara. Touch of neutral lipstick or gloss. That's it and the effect - other than the liner- is pretty natural. This is how I would LIKE to look without makeup! Of course if I'm not working or going anywhere, I leave everything au natural.....OR if we are going out in the evening I might spice it up with some blush and eye shadow with color....that's pretty much it. I also have very dry skin so I moisturize, moisturize, moisturize, morning and night.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:16 PM

3,975 posts, read 7,693,361 times
ha! ha! all it takes is to look at old photos!! I couldn't believe the difference! glad you stopped the white lipstick!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
Egads, I just saw an old photo and I was wearing white frosted lipstick. Bleh!

Old 07-18-2009, 09:20 PM

3,975 posts, read 7,693,361 times
cool! I still have no luck finding a foundation. Nothing works, my skin is so oily, and I am sure I'm not drinking enough water so my complexion isn't as smooth as I'd like it. It seems you have to start out with a nice canvas for any makeup to work! I envy the fresh, dewey look I see in magazines and on tv. Dewey on me looks shiny and oily!
But I do better with a light dusting of powder(always have to blot many times during the day), mascara, nude lip gloss, and I also like to enhance my thin brows and my moles with a black pencil. Not Liza-like, but just to enhance them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Hmmmm.....upon reflection, I probably wear as much makeup now as I did them - but I use different make up though and to achieve a different result. I use concealer for the dark circles under my eyes (heredity and it is more noticable as I age and stay out of the sun or use sunscreen than my younger days as a sun worshipper), a tinted moisturizer with SPF just to kind of even things up followed by a very light dusting of transluscent powder just to set it all; if I'm feeling particularly pasty looking that morning I may touch on a bit of bronzing powder (but very seldom); eyes - typically a bit of shadow that is a shade or two darker than my skin tone and a little bit of soft brown liner and mascara. Touch of neutral lipstick or gloss. That's it and the effect - other than the liner- is pretty natural. This is how I would LIKE to look without makeup! Of course if I'm not working or going anywhere, I leave everything au natural.....OR if we are going out in the evening I might spice it up with some blush and eye shadow with color....that's pretty much it. I also have very dry skin so I moisturize, moisturize, moisturize, morning and night.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:34 AM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,364,919 times
I didn't start wearing makeup until I was about 15. I'll be 23 in a couple months. Most of my makeup has stayed the same...I just wear blush now, and sometimes lip-stain or lipstick. Eyeliner, mascara, and sometimes shadow (and now, blush or the lip+cheek stain from The Body Shop [LOVE that stuff]).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty