Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 08:25 AM

3,975 posts, read 7,690,509 times

Advertisements

I love MAC lipglosses as well, they aren't as sticky as some others. I had one by Laura Mercier, but it was just oo slick and gloopy. right now, i am using the heck out of a lip gloss from Lancome. I don't have much luck with lipliner though, and anything other than a darker one just doesn't show up on my lips.
I'm too chicken to use false eyelashes, don't they start to rip out your own lashes after a while? I've never tried them. My eyelashes are thin enough without pulling off glue and stuff from them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
I was an avid lipstick wearer until about 9 years ago. That's when I started glossin' it up. I think I have an addiction to lip gloss, especially MAC lip gloss/lip glass.

When I used to wear lipstick, it would always be some bright color like a bright red or bright pink. Now, I'm more into nude's or very sheer lip colored gloss on my lips.

Never was a fan of lip liner until about 9 year ago, either. Now, I refuse to wear lip gloss UNLESS I outline my lips with lip liner first. I try to buy a liner that comes as close as a much to my lip gloss as possible.

Eye shadow is now something I like to wear. I didn't start getting into eye shadow until the last several years. I know how mix and match all the funky colors and make them blend in and things of that nature now. When I'm at work, I usually wear a neutral color eyeshadow, though. I only do the funky colors when I go out to party.

I'm a big fan of false eyelashes, too. Since mascara seems to irritate my contact lenses, I've become quite the fan of false eyelashes. Again, I only put them on when I'm about to go out with the girls or on a date. I never wear them to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 08:27 AM

sounds like a nice, natural look. I have wondered about the Even Better Foundation, do they have it in darker shades? I have had no luck with foundation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
I use that Clinique Even Better Foundation...it evens out my skin tone. I line the top of my eyelids very close to the lashes with brown pencil. No longer do I line the tops and the bottoms (I still see a few women do this and it just looks "hard"). I use a Lorac lipstick called "Posh." I switch off between power blush and cream blush.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:29 AM

you'd probably have to start real slow if you haven't worn makeup in a while? we are so used to seeing ourselves without makeup, that any color at all looks stark right away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye02 View Post
I used to wear ultra shiny red lipgloss, pink blushes, natural toned (browns & beiges) eyeshadows, and natural looking mascara, in my early & mid teens. During the first couple years of college I wore slightly tinted lip balms, more natural coral/ brown colored blush, and no eyeshadow or mascara. Around age 20 I stopped wearing makeup altogether. I have recently been thinking about wearing a bit of blush and lip balm, or gloss, again but I'm cheap and keep putting off buying any. I miss wearing a bit of makeup but I don't know why.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:32 AM

An funny comment about makeup, I was at a street jazz festival with some friends, we went into a few bars, had drinks and just hung out, well at one bar, I was in line to get a drink, and a guy comes up to me and says "you're here at a bar and not wearing any makeup at all? that's cool!"

I thought it was odd, I mean it was a casual day, just watching jazz perfomances in the street and in bars, no need to get a snazzy, but I guess it impressed him that I had on no makeup, interesting.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:58 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,051,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
I'm too chicken to use false eyelashes, don't they start to rip out your own lashes after a while? I've never tried them. My eyelashes are thin enough without pulling off glue and stuff from them!
They will indeed. Just like hair glue will rip out your hair, eyelash glue will do the same to your eyelashes if you wear them all the time. That's why I only wear them SPARINGLY. Like only when I'm going 'out' on a night out on the town or on a date, which isn't often. I love the effect they give to the eyes, though and I seem to get A LOT of attention, from the opposite sex, when I'm wearing them, too....

Old 07-09-2009, 09:04 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I have definitely gone for a more "natural" look as I've gotten older. The heavy eye makeup etc from my 20's would look ridiculous now...of course that was the 80's and a popular look then....along with "big hair" and shoulder pads!
Yes, I think "trends" in make-up definitely influence what and how much make-up most of us wear. As I have gotten older, I also find I use less. At one point for much of my 20's and 30's I wore brown eye shadow. Now don't wear any. I still curl my eyelashes and wear quite a bit of mascara.

I never wore a lot of foundation, but now even less. In general, I think for most women as we get older, it actually makes us look younger to wear less foundation.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:06 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,596,703 times
I gave up the thick eye liner & dark blue eyeshadow years ago . I now prefer the "natural look" approach by Bobbi Brown.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:13 PM

Hmm, good point! I guess I could try the little fill-in ones, not the complete strip, but the tiny little pieces? get lots of attention, huh??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
They will indeed. Just like hair glue will rip out your hair, eyelash glue will do the same to your eyelashes if you wear them all the time. That's why I only wear them SPARINGLY. Like only when I'm going 'out' on a night out on the town or on a date, which isn't often. I love the effect they give to the eyes, though and I seem to get A LOT of attention, from the opposite sex, when I'm wearing them, too....

Old 07-09-2009, 01:14 PM

I totally agree, I just like to have an even-toned complexion, and a little mascara and gloss and I look/feel great!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Yes, I think "trends" in make-up definitely influence what and how much make-up most of us wear. As I have gotten older, I also find I use less. At one point for much of my 20's and 30's I wore brown eye shadow. Now don't wear any. I still curl my eyelashes and wear quite a bit of mascara.

I never wore a lot of foundation, but now even less. In general, I think for most women as we get older, it actually makes us look younger to wear less foundation.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:17 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,737,720 times
When I was younger my skin tones were different so I colored my hair with red highlights. Now my face has a natural reddishness to it, so I prefer keeping it brown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty