Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2014, 10:26 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,203,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Put this in the category of something I absolutely never, ever think about and care about even less than that.
I agree.

But it's serious business to some.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 10:38 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,297,237 times
Whenever my girlfriend has her fingernails painted I know that she was babysitting her 6 year old niece and ran out of games to play.

I think of painted nails as either a kid thing or an old lady thing. Very few of my college students or my young colleagues have their nails painted, although that could possibly be specific to the science/health field in which I work.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:45 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,801,136 times
I am so glad so many men don't care much (I kind of suspected that anyway). I don't paint my nails. For one thing, I can't stand the way it feels... like I have something "on" my nails. It's like they can't breathe or something. Plus, it's very impractical for me. I've had my nails done before as part of spa packages and they look nice for a little while, but it's only a matter of hours before I have the polish chipped and flaking (which looks horrible).

Old 04-08-2014, 10:57 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,702,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
Whenever my girlfriend has her fingernails painted I know that she was babysitting her 6 year old niece and ran out of games to play.

I think of painted nails as either a kid thing or an old lady thing. Very few of my college students or my young colleagues have their nails painted, although that could possibly be specific to the science/health field in which I work.
I think it is specific to the people you know....because my daughter and her friends (college freshman and sophomores mostly) always seem to have their nails painted. When she was home on spring break...we even got mani-pedis...lol.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:58 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,374,850 times
It has nothing to do with color, but nails professionally done at all say something to me.

1. I don't care for fake nails, I think they look gross, like overly bleach blonde hair. Also, and this is a sweeping generalization based entirely on my personal experience, is that girls with fake nails or that get their nails done all the time, seem to be high maintenance, and with high maintenance comes a personality that I simply try to avoid.

Funny because for being a male I am pretty high maintenance myself, however I have a very high income so it's less of an issue. Even though I consider myself rather high maintenance, I still prefer girls without dyed hair, with their own nails, that don't tan, limited to no makeup, etc. I have a lot of friends that love the cliché sexy all done up high maintenance type girls, but I can't stand that.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:16 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,064,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
It has nothing to do with color, but nails professionally done at all say something to me.

1. I don't care for fake nails, I think they look gross, like overly bleach blonde hair. Also, and this is a sweeping generalization based entirely on my personal experience, is that girls with fake nails or that get their nails done all the time, seem to be high maintenance, and with high maintenance comes a personality that I simply try to avoid.
I find that having my nails professionally done is low maintenance. If I polished my own nails I'd have to either do a polish change every few days or fix the chips (chipped nail polish looks trashy to me). I'm rough on my hands so a regular polish job doesn't stay.

I go once every 3 weeks or so, it takes about 45 minutes and my nails are all cleaned up and gel polish is applied. It lasts a good 3-4 weeks for me, so it saves me time that I don't have.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:22 PM

102,191 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post

This. I'm wondering where all these women are who paint their nails? I don't see it.

However, we have had threads here where some guys insist they only want women who paint their nails. They want "girly girls", and women who are "feminine". I guess that means if you don't paint your nails, you're butch.

Go figure.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:27 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,299,911 times
I really love my wife's natural nails. She rarely paints them! They don't need to be enhanced!

Although, if the weather is great, and she is going to wear open toes, etc. she'll paint her cute little toes a nice shade of dark red. I like that!

Old 04-08-2014, 05:15 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,108,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post

Funny because for being a male I am pretty high maintenance myself, however I have a very high income so it's less of an issue. Even though I consider myself rather high maintenance, I still prefer girls without dyed hair, with their own nails, that don't tan, limited to no makeup, etc. I have a lot of friends that love the cliché sexy all done up high maintenance type girls, but I can't stand that.
nah, not always a high maintenance thing.....I mean I don't colour my hair, no fake tan, fake nails....no fake anything but I do like to get a manicure from time to time.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:28 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,239,314 times
For those who "don't get it" - we are GIRLS!!!!

We like pretty things!

If a woman wants to be well groomed, she keeps her hands manicured, either at home or professionally.

This doesn't mean painted. You can have a natural manicure, just keeping your own nails healthy looks lovely.

I personally did not wear nail polish for the best part of 20 years, when my kids were born and I was a domestic engineer. No time, it would fall off anyway.

Now I have the time and the desire to do my nails including a new colour, at least once a week.

It's fun, it's fashion, black nail polish does not mean "goth" anymore, blues and greens and yellows are everywhere.

When I was young you either got -pearl, pink, lavender or red nail polish. Boring!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty