Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 07:20 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,902,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
I think that red looks stellar on other women I see it on. But if I were to wear it ....because my hair is so light - it would make me look like a hooker. Same w/ red lipstick.
My nails are never long, well not super long, so red nail polish is rarely ever my thing and red lipstick is something I usually only ever wear if I'm on stage. But last night I went to a party and the theme was the 1940's SO for about 5 hours yesterday I put myself through all kinds of female torture including wrestling with hot rollers, sitting around frustrated for an hour waving my hands around like a crazy woman while the nail polish dried AND driving myself completely insanse trying to apply false eyelashes for the first time in 5 years!!!

Apparently after ALL that prissifying, MM reckons I looked like Lucille Ball from the pictures. (I can only hope he's referring to the young, glamorous and gorgeous Lucy BEFORE she opened her mouth! )

I suspect by the end of today I'll have managed to chip this nail polish to the point where I can't stand to look at the horror and I'll take it all off and go back to my normal, plain unpainted nails. Maybe if I'm feeling particularly motivated I might give them a coat of clear Sally Hansen but after all the hoo-ha yesterday I gotta say it's not looking likely.

I'm of two minds when it comes to women with highly manicured and bright, artistically painted nails. I admire them the patience to maintain their look but am equally bewildered by it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 07:29 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
My nails are never long, well not super long, so red nail polish is rarely ever my thing and red lipstick is something I usually only ever wear if I'm on stage. But last night I went to a party and the theme was the 1940's SO for about 5 hours yesterday I put myself through all kinds of female torture including wrestling with hot rollers, sitting around frustrated for an hour waving my hands around like a crazy woman while the nail polish dried AND driving myself completely insanse trying to apply false eyelashes for the first time in 5 years!!!
Wowwoooie! Is MM there?

I'm impressed with the last bright wine-red polish I bought. It's been full 2 weeks it's on my nails and toes. Haven't touched the toes and only did one extra coat last week on my nails. Almost contemplating getting away with another extra coat for another week! I hate taking off bright polish. It's such a PITA.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Wowwoooie! Is MM there?
Not yet, a few more weeks to go. (OK I've just been informed "a few" means three when it's actually closer to 6. He'll be here for my birthday at the end of August. Reckons he's gonna pop out of me birthday cake! WOOHOOOO!!! )
I sent him a couple of pictures of me in my costume this morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ
I'm impressed with the last bright wine-red polish I bought. It's been full 2 weeks it's on my nails and toes. Haven't touched the toes and only did one extra coat last week on my nails. Almost contemplating getting away with another extra coat for another week! I hate taking off bright polish. It's such a PITA.
I doubt that would EVER happen to me! I think I actually managed to chip a little corner off my left thumb before I even left the house last night. I am hoping that the clear coat of polish I put on my nails before the red top coat will stop the red staining. I rarely wear coloured nailpolish but I usually always have a pale pink colour on my toes. It's a sorta nude pink. BUT it's stained the nail bed or something, the podiatrist said, and she told me not to paint them for awhile, so I've been staring at neked toenails for a few months now!!! Good thing it's winter here!

Old 07-18-2009, 08:00 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Reckons he's gonna pop out of me birthday cake! WOOHOOOO!!! )
Sounds like you'll have a yummy cake!

Quote:
I doubt that would EVER happen to me!
Try Creative Nail Design. I just did recently and all three colors showed stellar performance! Of course, with base and top coat and all nine yards...

Quote:
so I've been staring at neked toenails for a few months now!!! Good thing it's winter here!
Yeah, that would suck in summer. What is your winter like anyway? Does it get really cold or just cooler?

Ha-ha, so much for men's opinions again! We ladies can't help exchanging polish info.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:03 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,651,499 times
Quote:

Apparently after ALL that prissifying, MM reckons I looked like Lucille Ball from the pictures. (I can only hope he's referring to the young, glamorous and gorgeous Lucy BEFORE she opened her mouth! )

I suspect by the end of today I'll have managed to chip this nail polish to the point where I can't stand to look at the horror and I'll take it all off and go back to my normal, plain unpainted nails. Maybe if I'm feeling particularly motivated I might give them a coat of clear Sally Hansen but after all the hoo-ha yesterday I gotta say it's not looking likely.

I'm of two minds when it comes to women with highly manicured and bright, artistically painted nails. I admire them the patience to maintain their look but am equally bewildered by it.
That sounds like a good time you had last night! Bet you looked stunning! I do not fuss about my nails, I keep them in a short spot length, nice and in a french. . but if they chip - oh well! - who cares - I just touch it up later or remove it all, throw on some clear - and let my nail tech do it again when I see her. I like to go fishing and I play volleyball. . so I refuse to be fussy. Not going to let glitz and glam rule my life and keep me from having a good time doing things I enjoy.

The artistic nails, gah. . not for me, that's for sure.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:27 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times
I would think "man what a waste of time and money. Why couldn't she have spent the $ on something else, like hot lingerie?"

Old 07-18-2009, 08:32 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braveheart2 View Post
Hi Jeep. as long as a womans nails are not chewed down to the quik, any color but pink or black looks good, it's a womans personal choice, but well-groomed(not chewed) is attractive, period.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Sounds like you'll have a yummy cake!
THE BEST kind of cake! Yankee Surprise!

Quote:
Try Creative Nail Design. I just did recently and all three colors showed stellar performance! Of course, with base and top coat and all nine yards...
Not sure we have that here, I'll have to do a little hunt and see AND if we don't have it, I guess I'll have to add it to my US shopping list.

Quote:
Yeah, that would suck in summer. What is your winter like anyway? Does it get really cold or just cooler?
HA! Well I guess it depends on who you ask! Personally I think it's bitterly cold HOWEVER when I'm freezing my butt off here at the moment I try to remind myself that Christmas this year is going to be colder than I've ever known! I suspect we have a similar winter to California.

Quote:
Ha-ha, so much for men's opinions again! We ladies can't help exchanging polish info.
Well it's just you get to talking, ya know? Besides I still can't believe I could actually contribute to a thread about nail polish because I so seldom wear the stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
That sounds like a good time you had last night! Bet you looked stunning! I do not fuss about my nails, I keep them in a short spot length, nice and in a french. . but if they chip - oh well! - who cares - I just touch it up later or remove it all, throw on some clear - and let my nail tech do it again when I see her. I like to go fishing and I play volleyball. . so I refuse to be fussy. Not going to let glitz and glam rule my life and keep me from having a good time doing things I enjoy.

The artistic nails, gah. . not for me, that's for sure.
Yeah, it was a good night. I'm not sure about stunning but I certainly got some odd looks at the traffic lights as I was driving in to the party!
It's not every day you look across to the car beside you and see some women with feathers on her head and a faux fur coat!

I'm the same with nails. I like them to look neat, well shaped and I do buff them to keep them shiny. If I want them to stay strong and be a longer length for a special occasion I paint them with clear Hard As Nails in the weeks prior and I might put a neutral polish on them for the event but generally I avoid fancy colours and pictures and jewels. Simply because I just don't seem to be able to keep them looking fabulous for longer than a few hours AND it seems the more time, effort and energy I put into fancy nails the bigger the disaster! Plus I know those ladies with the amazing manicures and artistic nails have to do all kinds of things for their upkeep, like always wearing gloves when they wash the dishes. I'm more of a hands on person.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:40 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,510,059 times
Quote:
Are you talking about ANY nail polish?
yes, I think it's a disgusting look

:shivers:

Old 07-18-2009, 08:46 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,651,499 times
Anyone who goes to a restaurant . . . and when you have a waitress with LONG nails (no matter how neat and clean they look) - are you more wiggy about taking your plate from her than from a waitress with short nails?

I get a bit more wiggy about it because the undersides of nails are so filthy and full of bacteria . . and just the thought of that dirty long nail wagging and resting so close to my food makes me feel eww. How do I know her nail did not slip into it on the way over to me? Never seen a waitress with dark polish, it's usually light or clear. . but I don't know. . just wigs me out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty