U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-26-2009, 10:50 PM

129 posts, read 320,290 times

Advertisements

Hi, I just wanted to say that I use face powder, because it evens out my skin tone and controls the shine/oiliness of my face.

But the one that I always use has been discontinued and replaced by a different line which is not as good in my opinion. I still bought it to try it out, but I don't think I want to buy 30 bucks for this stuff if it's not great.

SO I decided to research online for homemade recipes and ingredients for face powder. I read some things talk about cornstarch.

I tried using it. And it's even better than my old good face powder. It seriously lasts ALL DAY. Normally, I have to reapply my powder a few times throughout the day. But this cornstarch makes my face look great the whole day and the next. And it obviously doesn't have all the nasty chemicals. So just wanted to say, if you have oily skin, it's an option.

ANd if you have a darker complexion, they said mix the cornstarch with cocoa powder. because the cornstarch is very very pale.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 08:59 AM

8,424 posts, read 24,425,211 times
You may like these too:
Palladio - Palladio Rice Paper Blotting Tissues Warm Beige

They are made from rice powder.

And
https://www.everydayminerals.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&c ategory_id=30&Itemid=44 (broken link)

There is a clay powder. You can get a sample for 2.50$ and a "free sample kit" of foundations/blush/concealer.(pay shipping for the kit)

I just thought you may like some other natural options too that were cheapies! ☺

Old 07-27-2009, 11:57 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,182,396 times
Careful with that cornstarch, it can clog pores.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:22 AM

1 posts, read 30,854 times
Does cornstarch clog pores for good?

Old 09-16-2010, 02:04 AM

85 posts, read 252,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eunice1 View Post
Does cornstarch clog pores for good?
Clogged pores can expand pores. I am sure you have seen people with large pores. Make up can cover discoloration but not texture.

The cornstarch is really not worth it. Spend the money on a face powder that is finely milled. There are so many good brands you can pick up from your local drugstore. You don't have to spend a ton of money on them.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:42 AM

1,520 posts, read 1,056,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
You may like these too:
Palladio - Palladio Rice Paper Blotting Tissues Warm Beige

They are made from rice powder.
I LOVE these blotting tissues too!!

Old 09-16-2010, 09:56 AM

43,861 posts, read 27,759,153 times
Growing up on the beaches, we used baby powder all the time just blot off the oily spots. If you do it with a good thick brush it leaves a nice glow. Not sure about the pore clogging.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:22 PM

18,098 posts, read 15,621,234 times
Various lines of so-called "natural" makeup (which nearly all contain a multitude of chemicals) incorporate cornstarch into the recipe...Physicians' Formula's "Organic" line is one. Cornstarch can irritate some people's skin, though. I know it does mine. But, then, mineral makeup, which is supposed to be hypoallergenic, also irritates my skin.

For my money, the best face powder (which I use exclusively, I don't use foundation at all) is Coty Airspun, which is a classic. Been on the market for over a hundred years, still in the same hatbox-shaped art deco packaging. It's perfect.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:19 PM

5,581 posts, read 8,284,552 times
How do you apply loose powder on your face? With a brush or ? I'm looking on youtube for videos...

I'd love to see before and after photos for people who use coty airpun. I'm thinking of trying some, but I've never worn makeup so I feel a little intimidated!

Old 04-06-2011, 11:52 AM

14,515 posts, read 9,703,489 times
Use Mattifying Mineral Makeup. Good stuff. Won't clog pores.

My skin improved dramatically (and I don't have tons of breakouts, but I get them far less now) once I switched to it.

You can even doze off wearing it by accident and not wake up with a face full of little bumps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty