Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 09:11 AM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times

Advertisements

I don't care if your gay or not, or for that matter if anyone is or not. The USA would be alot better if people would just learn to mind their own f'ing business, and get over themselves. That and accept themselves for who they are dispite others ignorant views. I would find meaningful relationships with people that bring something to your life, and not put a damper on it. You have to ask yourself are you uneasy with this foolish person thinking your gay, and if so for what reason. Life is meant to live ones life under their own terms, not to be lived based on the views of others.

Again, find more meaningful relationships with people, and don't worry about what others think. Its a waste of energy.

Last edited by Jimrob1; 08-06-2009 at 09:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 09:47 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
Meeting someone for the 1st time, that many pairs of shoes would concern me.
Would it make me think you were gay? Not in the least.

Obsessed with shoes? Yes.

Yes it is your money to spend as you wish but this obsession would make me wonder what else you might be OCD about.

Bottom line, it's your life to lead as you see fit. So I hope you find someone who isn't bothered by this.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:26 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,065,593 times
Being a Californicated Houstonian, I can see from two entirely different points of view.

I am very neat and compartmentalized. I'm also a bit Spartan. I have 3 pairs of shoes: Conservative Bankers, Work boots, and Tevas. Since I'm retired and live in a very moderate climate the Tevas get the most use. I dress in shorts and sandals like any self respecting beach bum.

The Californicated part of me would see an organized and somewhat obsessive metrosexual. Contrary to popular opinion, a metrosexual is not gay but may display the stereopypical gay male traits we've all been taught to recognise by our homophobic society. I do know a lot of gay males and not one of them actually fits the stereotype... but anyway...

The Houstonian in me would take one look at what you described and flag you as a flamer. It's just the culture. Different people have different ways of looking at things. It doesn't make them right or wrong, just different. I could walk around Seattle in a kilt and no one would even notice. I can walk around in Southeast Asia wearing a sarong with a tank-top and no one would notice. What's normal only applies to where you happen to be and if your attire and behavior doesn't match, you will be noticed and stereotyped. There's no reason to get bent out of shape over it.

In San Francisco or Manhattan, you'd blend in. Probably Dallas too; Those folks seem to like to dress up for everything. In Houston you don't. Hey at least it gets you noticed! As a professional, you need to be noticed. You can be the best in your field but if you dress like everyone else, you're essentially wearing camo and blending in and going nowhere. If people think you're gay, you can cry all the way to the bank. Don't sweat it. If women think you're gay they will trust you more than the standard man/pig/dog/liar, etc. Work it!

Old 08-06-2009, 11:05 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,324,790 times
oh for goodness sake, why label someone because they like clothing and shoes? what about grown men who play computer games all day? are they considered kids then? We can go on all day and women who hate clothes must be lesbians?
If I were you, I'd wear my shoes proudly and to heck with anyone who's jealous!
It's true how bigger cities have more open-minded people who'll accept anything and anyone.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:24 AM

6,796 posts, read 14,018,392 times
I really don't see having 200 pairs of shoes is a gay thing. I can see how a women would be a bit concerned if she saw a guy had a dedicated room for his clothes and 200 pairs of shoes. The fact that he has purchased them in the last 6 months really gets the mind thinking. I would be concerned with a persons behavior than I would his sexuality. Imagine going to a woman's place and seeing a entire room dedicated to wigs. Her being gay or straight would be the last of my concerns.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:14 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,132,032 times
if my daughter met a man like you i would worry,cause she is also shoe obsessed and with a partner like you there would be no money left after the shopping sprees(lol)

her dad hated fashion,hardly had any shoes,appeared macho and always had a sugar daddy!

Old 08-06-2009, 01:17 PM

914 posts, read 1,806,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moddestmike View Post
Not sure where to start. I'm 25, professional male slim/tall and I have a habit of color coding my shoe purchases according to what shirts/pants/shorts I have. I know have over 200 pair of shoes, 70 dress/130 tennis (Pumas and ASICS only). Most of these have been purchased in the last six months. I tend to go for the Euro style of dress when not at work and the shoes have to be original in color or somewhat weird or rare.

So this chick I've been recently hanging out with came over to my place and happened to see my second room which is where I organized my sneakers. She then blurted out " I knew it!". I then ask to what is she referring to which she replied "I knew there was a flaw, you're gay aren't you?" Shocked by what she said, I just sort of took it in, she then began to go on and on about how abnormal its is for a guy to dress the way I do and have a wardrobe such as I do. I have never been more disappointed by such generalizations as I were by her remarks. Funny thing is, my coworker and good friend is gay and has not nearly a complete wardrobe as myself.

You're a metro. That's hot.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:47 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegirl View Post
You should audition for Housewives of CA.
Except that I'm a lawyer - not a housewife.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:35 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,168,126 times
Well, obviously, people are going to think what they think.

I go through the same thing where I work. I don't have as many shoes or clothes, but a pretty sizeable collection. My favorite colors to wear are actually pink and purple, as both go well with my skin. So, naturally, they think because I wear pink, I'm gay. I have never understood that, but, ok.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:23 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,018,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Depends...if someone lives in an apartment, townhouse, or smaller house, the room could be smaller than many walk-in closets. Some closets are easily on par with a three car garage, so it's all relative. I'm not a fan of labels, though, and metrosexual is just another label affixed to a guy, solely for having an extensive shoe wardrobe.
Some labels are appropriate. There are people who are proud of being metrosexual, and that's on them. That is metrosexual behavior.

Even if for some odd reason you have a closet bigger than a room yet you flagrantly display your shoe collection in said room instead of just racking them up in the closet (which is still metro behavior, BTW), I'm going to call it like it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty