Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 10:14 PM

88 posts, read 258,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
You have nothing to worry about, you will look completely fine and normal.

On a similar note, I have a weird thing about being bare foot around people other than my daughter and husband. If someone comes to the door or comes inside and I'm not wearing anything on my feet I run and put something on first. So we all have our funny issues, but its just us, no one really cares or notices besides us!
I can relate to this. When I was a kid, I wouldn't go barefoot around anyone...not even family. My grandmother bought me a pair of sandals once and I would refuse to wear them. I always had to wear socks and even went through a stage where I wouldn't wear shorts! I'd be outside in 90 degree weather and wearing long pants. I don't know why...it was just a goofy hangup that I had at the time and it stayed with me for a long time. That is probably the main reason I feel kinda funny about wearing them now all of a sudden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 10:24 PM

37,056 posts, read 42,015,227 times
My son's best friend (18 yrs old) wears cargo shorts, tee shirts and flip flops every day, rain or shine. He is the only one in his social group to do this and is very popular (my own son doesn't even OWN sandals). I wear them about 90% of the time myself. If you like them then make the look your own...don't even worry about anyone else and if someone does question you just act like they are wierd for even asking. It's all about image

Old 08-06-2009, 06:57 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,916,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
You've clearly never been to northern California or Oregon. Socks and sandals are fairly common. Wait till it's mid-winter and half the guys are wearing socks, sandals, cargo shorts, and a parka. As you move further north into Washington and up to Seattle, men start wearing work boots with their skirts.

Actually they're not womens skirts. Kilts are quite common in Seattle. I guess there's something about living in a cold, wet, and foggy climate like Scotland or Seattle that makes a kilt more practical.

I guess here in NYC... it's not a fashion statement for "men" to wear sandals.. let alone sandals with socks. I think it looks totally ridiculous!
I won't even get into Birkinstock bashing.... Talk about UGLYY!
But again thats just the New York in me!

Old 08-06-2009, 01:55 PM

15,639 posts, read 40,940,913 times
Quote:
You've clearly never been to northern California or Oregon. Socks and sandals are fairly common. Wait till it's mid-winter and half the guys are wearing socks, sandals, cargo shorts, and a parka. As you move further north into Washington and up to Seattle, men start wearing work boots with their skirts.

Actually they're not womens skirts. Kilts are quite common in Seattle. I guess there's something about living in a cold, wet, and foggy climate like Scotland or Seattle that makes a kilt more practical.
Yeah, but ... don't one's legs get cold? I know when the weather gets cold here (well, cold for me anyway! ) I wear long pants and sweaters or long sleeve shirts.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:19 PM

41,764 posts, read 74,766,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude2136 View Post
I'm sure you're right although there are a few that will notice and make light of it. Whenever someone wears a new article of clothing, there is always someone that point it out and want it a topic of discussion.
Well, then, it's time to wake your family up and be a pioneer! Be a trend setter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayLove View Post
II won't even get into Birkinstock bashing....
People in New York don't wear Birks? What, you don't like to be comfortable?

Old 08-06-2009, 02:42 PM

2,543 posts, read 4,865,842 times
Rules on wearing sandals:

1. If your toes are overlapping over, then you need a bigger size.

2. Keep your toenails manicured, short, and nice.

3. Keep your feet moisturized.

4. Do file off any dead skin on your heels and keep them smooth.

5. Wear sandals that actually go with your outfit (or pretty close to the same color or a neutral color).

6. When buying sandals, make sure to try them on first for a while (walk in them for a minute. If they feel like they are coming off, every time you take a step, then don't get them).

7. Don't wear socks with sandals (what's the whole point of wearing them if you're going to wear socks? If you're going to wear socks, then put some sneakers on).

Old 08-06-2009, 02:50 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,053,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Yeah, but ... don't one's legs get cold? I know when the weather gets cold here (well, cold for me anyway! ) I wear long pants and sweaters or long sleeve shirts.
Nah. I wear shorts all year. I tend to play in the water so socks and Tevas are a bad mix. I used to be a jeans and tee-shirt guy but after ACL replacement on both knees, I didn't care much for long pants rubbing against the area below the kneecap where they took the bone and tendon grafts. I just got used to wearing shorts and only wear the jeans when I'm using the weed-eater on the lawn. That thing throws all sorts of debris that will shred bare shins and toes. Now that I'm so used to shorts, long pants feel strange. Besides, even years after the surgeries, that area is still very sensitive and fabric rubbing across the scars can still produce a sudden jolt of sharp, almost burning pain.

The best thing about shorts in winter when it rains almost constantly is that I don't end up walking around with soggy pant legs and socks all day.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:53 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,053,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
People in New York don't wear Birks? What, you don't like to be comfortable?
Tevas rule. Birks drool!

Old 08-06-2009, 03:04 PM

15,639 posts, read 40,940,913 times
Quote:
Nah. I wear shorts all year. I tend to play in the water so socks and Tevas are a bad mix. I used to be a jeans and tee-shirt guy but after ACL replacement on both knees, I didn't care much for long pants rubbing against the area below the kneecap where they took the bone and tendon grafts. I just got used to wearing shorts and only wear the jeans when I'm using the weed-eater on the lawn. That thing throws all sorts of debris that will shred bare shins and toes. Now that I'm so used to shorts, long pants feel strange. Besides, even years after the surgeries, that area is still very sensitive and fabric rubbing across the scars can still produce a sudden jolt of sharp, almost burning pain.

The best thing about shorts in winter when it rains almost constantly is that I don't end up walking around with soggy pant legs and socks all day.
You're funny! I get COLD when I go to Piedmont (have friends and relatives there) or anywhere in the Bay area. I live in the palm Springs area and people who come here wear shorts in winter - yet I'm freezing my butt off! I get used to the summer heat here and everything else is just cold to me.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:08 PM

88 posts, read 258,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
My son's best friend (18 yrs old) wears cargo shorts, tee shirts and flip flops every day, rain or shine. He is the only one in his social group to do this and is very popular (my own son doesn't even OWN sandals). I wear them about 90% of the time myself. If you like them then make the look your own...don't even worry about anyone else and if someone does question you just act like they are wierd for even asking. It's all about image
Do they tease him about wearing the flip flops? I would wear them every day if I could but can't wear them at work so I just wear them on the weekends. They took some getting used to but now it seems like such a drag to put on shoes and socks esp when it is hot outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty