U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-10-2009, 07:21 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
3,846 posts, read 6,616,147 times
Reputation: 1639

Advertisements

What type of facial cleansers do you prefer? Foamy, creamy, oil-based, or scrubby? And do you follow up with a toner?

I like the soapy, foaming kind, but I've read that it can be more drying to the skin. Creamy ones just don't feel like they are doing much. And I always seem to skip toner.

Your thoughts???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-10-2009, 08:20 PM
EB2
 
Location: Florida
1,927 posts, read 5,349,213 times
Reputation: 1047
I've varied throughout the years. Sometimes just soap, sometimes stuff made for my face. It really depends on the severity of my acne (or lackthereof).

Currently, I'm using Neutrogena for my cleanser (the night time deep clean one), scrub (same as the cleanser), and toner (alcohol free). When my skin isn't on a rampage (I think I figured out the source, though...which was my blush brush - I'll see in a few days) - I'll use soap, and witch hazel...with a once or twice a week scrub with St. Ives peach scrub stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2009, 08:45 AM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
2,638 posts, read 10,536,981 times
Reputation: 3538
I love the feel of foamy cleansers but they are just too harsh for my sensitive skin. I use the Clinique cleanser for redness, it is like halfway between a gel and a cream cleanser and it doesn't foam, but it makes my skin feels clean without feeling stripped. I don't currently use a toner, but I prefer the kind that are like a thin lotion (like Shiseido hydro-nourishing softener from "The Skincare" line) rather than the kind with a lot of alcohol like the Clinique toners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2009, 09:08 AM
 
Location: Marion, IN
8,191 posts, read 27,527,288 times
Reputation: 7086
In the summer my face gets very oily. I spend a lot of time outside in a less than clean environment (I ride horses). Some days I clean with Witch Hazel and some days I scrub with Lava Soap, then follow with Witch Hazel. Sounds harsh, but it works for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2009, 12:03 PM
 
Location: ATL suburb
1,366 posts, read 3,613,129 times
Reputation: 1542
I am still a Noxema girl. My skin near my nose tends to get oily then flake, so a weekly treatment of Noxema with the soft brush/scrubber thingys really helps. For a daily cleanser, I use Neutrogena daily scrub, but I use it more like every other day. Toners, Witch Hazel, and body soap are too harsh for my face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2009, 02:48 PM
 
5,007 posts, read 7,681,898 times
Reputation: 5687
I've used Neutrogena in the past, but now I'm hooked on Cetaphil. It foams less in my opinion. It seems milder than everything else I've used before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2009, 03:01 PM
 
Location: Colorado (PA at heart)
8,251 posts, read 12,880,799 times
Reputation: 10470
Definitely a scrub, I get dry flakey patches if I don't use a scrub! I like Cearasil Black Head Control with Sea Salt. I don't use a toner, they just make me break out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2009, 04:21 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
3,846 posts, read 6,616,147 times
Reputation: 1639
cool-I think Neutrogena is some of the best stuff to use. And that goes for witch hazel, I had almost forgotten about it! I may give it a try.


Quote:
Originally Posted by EB2 View Post
I've varied throughout the years. Sometimes just soap, sometimes stuff made for my face. It really depends on the severity of my acne (or lackthereof).

Currently, I'm using Neutrogena for my cleanser (the night time deep clean one), scrub (same as the cleanser), and toner (alcohol free). When my skin isn't on a rampage (I think I figured out the source, though...which was my blush brush - I'll see in a few days) - I'll use soap, and witch hazel...with a once or twice a week scrub with St. Ives peach scrub stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2009, 04:22 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
3,846 posts, read 6,616,147 times
Reputation: 1639
Hmm. I've never heard of this particular one. Although I can't use Clearasil because I am allergic to Benzoyl Peroxide.


Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Definitely a scrub, I get dry flakey patches if I don't use a scrub! I like Cearasil Black Head Control with Sea Salt. I don't use a toner, they just make me break out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2009, 04:24 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
3,846 posts, read 6,616,147 times
Reputation: 1639
I haven't used Nozema in so long! The original cream has that smell that is unmistakeable! but I liked it when I used it. I find using a scrub about 2-3 times a week helps my skin also.


Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
I am still a Noxema girl. My skin near my nose tends to get oily then flake, so a weekly treatment of Noxema with the soft brush/scrubber thingys really helps. For a daily cleanser, I use Neutrogena daily scrub, but I use it more like every other day. Toners, Witch Hazel, and body soap are too harsh for my face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top