Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 11:54 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,435,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I disagree to a point. There are MANY people who only get tattoos to 'fit in' but there are also quite a few who get them because they like them. It's actually fairly easy to tell if you know what you're looking for. Well done tattoos are few and far between these days.

Considering the 'fitting in' part though... Only two of my friends even have tattoos, one has a small heart behind her ear and the other has a rabbit on her foot. None are nearly as heavily tattooed as I am nor will they ever be. I don't like being put in the category of trendy hipsters who only get tattoos to fit in. Not all of us are like that.
Actually...the vast majority of hispsters dont have tattoos. Trust me, I hang around enough of them to know. Most consider them trendy and cliche.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 12:07 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Actually...the vast majority of hispsters dont have tattoos. Trust me, I hang around enough of them to know. Most consider them trendy and cliche.
This was my impression too, and one of the reasons I began the thread.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:32 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,122,758 times
I think that if you have to "try" to be something, then you are a poser anyway. But, that's just me. I do not give a fig if they are considered alternate, mainstream, etc. I have a tattoo for the sole reason that I find it beautiful and meaningful to me.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:40 PM

606 posts, read 1,234,810 times
If I ever got a tattoo I would get the temporary kind made of Henna so that when it wears off it does so naturally and it does not hurt and I can get a new design the next time. I am way too old for those silly "rub on" temporary tattoos too, so I just will stick with the old Henna kind.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:56 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,326,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04glow View Post
If I ever got a tattoo I would get the temporary kind made of Henna so that when it wears off it does so naturally and it does not hurt and I can get a new design the next time. I am way too old for those silly "rub on" temporary tattoos too, so I just will stick with the old Henna kind.
Ahhh, the good old days! I loved to get the "rub on" tattoos out of the Cracker Jack box! That's about as wild as I want to go in that arena.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:17 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
I'm in my 60s and feel left out because everybody seems to have a tat. (No, I don't want one!) I bought one for my wife's 44th birthday 10 years ago -- a small rose on her ankle. My daughter and her husband, both upper management professionals in their mid-30s, both have large tats. My son has one. My step-daughter and her husband both have them. My wife's older sister got one a few years ago.

Are they mainstream? No more than water.

Do I like them? Not even a little bit. Little ones, like my wife's, are easy to ignore, but I've never seen one that I thought improved one's appearance.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:25 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,122,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04glow View Post
My friend had a really beautiful henna tattoo on her foot last week. It was gorgeous.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:50 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
I think that if you have to "try" to be something, then you are a poser anyway.
I know what you mean, but for some, it takes awhile to figure out who they are.
Some younger people experiment a bit; they almost "try on" alternate looks, foods, even beliefs.
It's almost a cliché now about how some (not all!) young people, in their efforts to both find themselves as well as develop their individuality, all end up wearing the same clothes and listening to the same music.
I've seen those henna tattoos and they are indeed beautiful.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:00 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,706,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
Ahhh, the good old days! I loved to get the "rub on" tattoos out of the Cracker Jack box! That's about as wild as I want to go in that arena.
I think it would be great for someone to get those old rub-ons as real tattoos...

Old 08-13-2009, 03:08 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,584,677 times
I was ready to get a tattoo when I was about 20 twenty years old. The problem was the tat I wanted cost more than I could afford at the time (if I went to a repuatable spot).

Now I am in my early thirties and I am SO glad I was a broke twenty year old. I don't knock people with tatoos. But it has lost the edge it once had. When everyone is a rebel than there are no more rebels left. I like the way I look in a tank top. I like the clear bronze skin on my arms.

Still I don't look down on body art. I'll just express myself another way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty