Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 10:46 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,085,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Thank you for proving that tattooed people are lacking in good judgment skills!! Yup, violence is the answer for solving every conflict.

Fortunately, there are plenty of good people without tattoos and odd body piercings to associate with, so avoiding the likes of you will be of no loss to the rest of us.

Sweetheart...the one mouthing off to people telling them they are stupid for having tattoos....is the one with the bad judgement...and notice, I did not say I would be doing...but WATCHING the pummeling....what can I say...I like to watch. *Kisses* you sweet thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 10:46 AM

806 posts, read 2,960,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
I design my own, so no one else has my tattoos.
If you, and others are so affected by what others do to their own bodies, and it bothers you so much...you are seriously lacking something in your own life.
I truly could care less about what other people wear, look like, have tattooed on their skin...etc.
I guess what I'm saying is...as offensive as you find our tattoos...we find your insults about them even more so....but for some reason, you seem to think it's ok to insult people. Issues. Serious issues.
I don't have tattoos so I'm not the one with serious issues.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:02 AM

3,885 posts, read 8,122,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I agree but I would support legislation (city or state, not federal) to restrict tattoo to adults only. I'd even consider a 21 age limit for a different reason. Not everyone's body has fully developed at age 18. I graduated high school with some very flat chested girls who began to develop curves several years later. It's best to wait until the body has fully developed. I'd favor 18 in local and state legislation but recommend to people to hold off until 21 without a legislation. Can you imagine what kind of tattoos a 15 year old girl or guy would choose? Oh, and if you're a sports fan, putting your team name and mascot is fine. Don't do a favorite player's name and number unless their number was retired. You'd be angry if you got your favorite player's name and number tattooed on you and he left the team to play for your arch rival. Reminds me of the commercial in which a football player tattooed the team logo only to discover he'd been traded.
I wouldn't have a problem with restricting tattoos to adults. In fact, my kids are small, but they will never have a parental consent form to be tattooed or pierced. It's definitely a decision to be made by an adult.

Last edited by MooksterL1; 08-15-2009 at 11:43 AM..

Old 08-15-2009, 11:24 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,085,251 times
I don't know...they can decide at 18 to risk their lives for their country...but can't get tattooed?
Wouldn't work for me.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:32 AM

806 posts, read 2,960,222 times
I agree. The universal drinking/smoking/gambling/tattooing/etc. age should be 18 (if you want to age restrict these things at all)

Old 08-15-2009, 12:04 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,020,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
I think it's the typical mindset of the judgemental.

I always get a chuckle out of reading posts on here or other network sites where people are having a coronary over the government encroaching on our freedoms, the smoking ban, etc, etc. Why, that is just Un-American!! And then I see those same people having another coronary about silly little things like flip flops, tattoos, sweats in public, tv shows or on a more important note same sex marriage. And I know that when I read their posts, I think "Wow! These people really are unique and special." But in a very different way. So...given a choice, I'll take being a "lemming" any day of the week over being an uptight, judgemental, (insert optional favorite term here ).
Here's the thing.

There is such a thing as proper decorum. Meaning, some things are appropriate and some are not.

- Visible tattoos in a business environment? Not appropriate. Why? Because the company image matters more than your personal independence of expression. Yes, it does. Your expressive behavior doesn't make the company any money. Some tattoos can pass muster because they're really small or so out of the way as to not be intrusive (i.e. under your wrist).

- Flip flops in a business environment? Not appropriate. Why? Same reason.

The issue that some people have with these things is simple. It means you were never taught about presentation. You were never provided the valuable lessons about how to put forth the best face. Instead, you developed a hippie mentality of individualism. Same complaint about the emo hairdos and skin tight jeans on guys and sagging pants and nose/lip/tongue/etc piercings and goth paint and...I could go on and on.

What you do in the sanctity of your own home is your business. The moment you are exposed to others, you need to be your normal, unaltered self. You need to present yourself with looks and behavior that are not going to offend others, not because you should care about them, but because it's the right thing to do.

Ask yourself one question: If one day everyone who weighed over 250lbs (fat, not muscle) went for a whole week walking around with no clothing because they felt the need to express pride in their body size, would you accept it? You'll say yes. But you'd be lying. Inside it would offend you, and you would be in the same position some of us are now.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:25 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,127,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
I don't know...they can decide at 18 to risk their lives for their country...but can't get tattooed?
Wouldn't work for me.
While I was in the Military I got wounded 3 different times but when I got home I couldn't get a drink in a bar....While I served I almost got a pair of red lips on my "can" to show sovernty to my Special Forces Group but I was unable to keep still while lying on my stomach...YIPES!

I was the only one in our SF group who did get one and if you see someone on the beach with a small pair of lips on his can ask him about me, Steve and why I didn't get the tattoo. ........ hahahahaha

Last edited by Synergy1; 08-15-2009 at 12:49 PM..

Old 08-15-2009, 12:31 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,122,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Here's the thing.

There is such a thing as proper decorum. Meaning, some things are appropriate and some are not.

- Visible tattoos in a business environment? Not appropriate. Why? Because the company image matters more than your personal independence of expression. Yes, it does. Your expressive behavior doesn't make the company any money. Some tattoos can pass muster because they're really small or so out of the way as to not be intrusive (i.e. under your wrist).

- Flip flops in a business environment? Not appropriate. Why? Same reason.

The issue that some people have with these things is simple. It means you were never taught about presentation. You were never provided the valuable lessons about how to put forth the best face. Instead, you developed a hippie mentality of individualism. Same complaint about the emo hairdos and skin tight jeans on guys and sagging pants and nose/lip/tongue/etc piercings and goth paint and...I could go on and on.

What you do in the sanctity of your own home is your business. The moment you are exposed to others, you need to be your normal, unaltered self. You need to present yourself with looks and behavior that are not going to offend others, not because you should care about them, but because it's the right thing to do.

Ask yourself one question: If one day everyone who weighed over 250lbs (fat, not muscle) went for a whole week walking around with no clothing because they felt the need to express pride in their body size, would you accept it? You'll say yes. But you'd be lying. Inside it would offend you, and you would be in the same position some of us are now.
I don't disagree with you concerning employment or behaving appropriately depending on the situation. However, I think you may need to rework your biography statement. "Biography I dislike censorship." Feel free to live your life as you feel necessary, but you cross a line when you try to force your ideals on someone else. I honestly might giggle at people parading around naked, but I wouldn't be offended. I can drive down my street right now and see a handful of large men mowing their lawns shirtless because it's hot outside. But, I choose to reserve being offended for big things like violence, hate, bigotry and any other senseless atrocity that happens on our earth daily. A little ink, a slap of a flip flop or a skinny jean are issues that never get near my radar.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:50 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
In the same way your tattoo makes you so "unique" when you're the same as everyone else..

No one wants to see: Barbwire, random animal, dead relative, your kids, etc. presented on your body.
No one?? Well, my boss (who owns 7 private jets and a booming business, even in this economoy) doesn't mind... neither do my coworkers, friends, parents, family etc. Why would I place the opinions of some random person on the street, or someone on the internet for that matter, over people who actually matter to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Thank you for proving that tattooed people are lacking in good judgment skills!! Yup, violence is the answer for solving every conflict.

Fortunately, there are plenty of good people without tattoos and odd body piercings to associate with, so avoiding the likes of you will be of no loss to the rest of us.

Trust me.... I wouldn't want to be friends with people like you either, so it's win win, really. And are you saying that if we met and we really liked eachother and had a fabulous time, but I then took off my jacket revealing my tattoos you would walk away based just on that??? That's kind of sad, really.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:21 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,020,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
I don't disagree with you concerning employment or behaving appropriately depending on the situation. However, I think you may need to rework your biography statement. "Biography I dislike censorship." Feel free to live your life as you feel necessary, but you cross a line when you try to force your ideals on someone else. I honestly might giggle at people parading around naked, but I wouldn't be offended. I can drive down my street right now and see a handful of large men mowing their lawns shirtless because it's hot outside. But, I choose to reserve being offended for big things like violence, hate, bigotry and any other senseless atrocity that happens on our earth daily. A little ink, a slap of a flip flop or a skinny jean are issues that never get near my radar.
You don't get offended. However, and I've said this before: in the grand scheme of things you don't matter. The individual opinion does not matter. Why do you think public decency laws exist? It's because the world has to cater to the majority, not the minority and not to the individual.

I'm not forcing my ideals on anyone; but I can state them and know that my opinion is not unique. IN a room full of people at a high class luncheon, probably 30% have at least one tattoo, but it's doubtful you'd be able to pick them out because they've got them covered properly. That's because some people actually take note of the fact that what they do or do not show might offend others and are actually considerate enough to take steps to avoid that interaction in the first place. It's the ones who blatantly flash off huge tats (or skinny jeans, or goth paint, or emo hair, or whatever) in total and blatant disregard for those around them that is offensive.

Again, in the sanctity of your own home, do you. Out shopping, do you. Doesn't mean I have to like it and doesn't make it acceptable in a professional situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty