Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 11:08 AM

305 posts, read 1,116,628 times

Advertisements

Of the items on your list, shoes are probably the most important. A watch is important too, but only to the extent that it looks appropriate for what you're wearing. That is, a rubber sports watch will look goofy with a suit, but it doesn't matter much whether you wear a Kenneth Cole, Movado, or Rolex. I would highly caution against buying "investment" pieces at 19 years of age. Your tastes will change too much in the next 10 years. If you want to spend money on nice pieces, only spend up to where you'd say you got your money's worth if you got 3 years out of the item. When you get older, you can broaden that horizon.

As for ties, cheap ties look cheap, but again it doesn't matter much if you spend $50, $100, or $200. If you can get a $75-$100 tie on sale for $50, go for it.

Wallet? Never heard of that mattering. And sunglasses, I'd offer the same advice as with the watch. Wear sunglasses that work with a suit. No Oakleys, but doesn't matter if you wear Fossils ($35), Ray-Ban ($120), or Gucci ($300).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 06:02 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,866,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman023 View Post
Thank you all for your help so far. I'll try and give most of you some reputation points for your help soon.

I have one more question: what accessories and clothes should I spend more money on generally? I've heard that, aside from blazers/suits, a really good coat, designer jeans, and shoes are what to spend money on, along with sunglasses, watch, wallet, tie (I really don't get why ties are important since they all look the same to me) for accessories are good investments. Do you agree with that, or what?
I'd anchor yourself with a good watch and a versatile coat. I bought a Skagen watch for a bit over $100, Skagen Denmark - Danish Design Watches, Jewelry, Sunglasses and More (http://www.skagen.com/item/233XXLSLB.fx - broken link) and it works with anything. Plus I'm short like you, so since they are slim designs it doesn't overpower my arm. I tend to buy alot of shoes; I don't spend alot on them and I usually buy on sale. For instance my shoe rotation includes black Ken Coles and Rockports for work, black Aldo, Puma, Converse all stars for casual. Get simple designs and keep them real clean and/or polished which is all you need to do to make you look polished as well. (p.s. get a shoe polishing kit)

For coats I like to get something that goes with anything and lasts years. I have light coat from Express (about $100) and a Porsche Design parka ($225) that I wear, both plain and black. I have a few others I never take out.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:31 AM

412 posts, read 1,751,961 times
I don't know much about mens fashion, but for accessories, Armani Exchange is quite affordable for things like sunglasses, wallets, which really are not trendy because that style doesn't change much. Their pricing usually is never less than 50$ but never more than 200$ for things like that.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:54 PM

806 posts, read 2,960,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaipur View Post
Armani Exchange.
Can you say.. guido?

Old 08-29-2009, 10:47 AM

1 posts, read 976 times
i have been to a custom tailor on 48th street betw lexington and 3rd ave. i was really impressed with their feedback. it was my first time ,so i was little worried as i had no idea about the bespoke or tailored clothes, but now i feel like buying formal clothes only from custom tailors as they give u clothes which fit to your body which no outlets of deginers clothes can give u.
the fabrics they use for shirts - ALUMO ( check out its review on google),its the best fabric in world and rest like Zegna,holland ans sherry ,loro piana, these people got a wide range of fabrics at a very affordable price.

their website - [url]www.tailor.com[/url] ( La rukico Tailors)
phone num-212 753 7848

Old 08-29-2009, 02:04 PM

6,820 posts, read 14,034,515 times
Custom clothes are great but it is not a option of most middle class folks. I am always on the look up for Kiton but my search is limited to thrift stores. I can't afford to spend a weeks salary on a suit.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:47 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,903,258 times
I'll tell you what my husband wears....he does not wear suits anymore so I am not sure what brands they are....

But in dress shirts he wears Faconnable, Burberry & Lacoste. These can be found at dept stores like Nordstrom and Saks as well as boutique shops. They typcially do alterations right there as well which is helpful. They have an excellent fit with modern colors. He finds they are definitely worth the cost. And the dress shirts are not trendy, they are classic, but like I said with modern colors and fits.

Pants I cant recall besides Armani, Ralph Lauren as well as Tommy Bahama. Tommy Bahama has very nice dress slacks which are very breathable, since we live in FL.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:06 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,551,537 times
Thumbs up wear colors that show off your skin tone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman023 View Post
Alright, I am 5 foot 6 (although I still have time to grow, it's probably not much), and I'm Indian, so I have darker skin. I think darker colors fit me best, so should I just get pin striped black, navy, and dark brown, or would that be "too dark"?
You're lucky: there are so many things that will look striking on only you!

Try this: put something on in the dressing room where you're shopping. Close your eyes & open them fast. What's your first impression? Go with it.

Try to wear pants that accentuate your leg line to give the impression of height through a good sillhouette.

Maybe you can post a pic of what you finally choose for the basis of your new look! You can wear big sunglasses if you want to look mysterious.

Kate

Old 01-28-2010, 11:47 AM

1 posts, read 803 times
Yeah La Rukico Tailors - [url=http://www.Tailor.com]Tailor | 152 East 48th Street | New York City , NY 10017[/url] is good in custom clothing. I gotta tuxedo made from them and they charge resonable cost for good fabrics . where as you wont find the perfect tux or any cloth of the rack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty