U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 03:13 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,938,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaipur View Post
I'm sorry but it is the truth! I'm starting to get really annoyed by people constantly wearing these hideous things. They make your thighs look terrible; hugs you in all the wrong places. Blah! I have no issues with straight leg jeans or skinnies, I don't even mind pants that completely flare out. But please, please, stay away from boot cut jeans. I don't know why stores constantly market them to Americans. If you go to Europe you won't see them any where and would not be caught dead in them. It is not 1995 anymore! They are so unflattering on both men and women and are never stylish. Does anyone else agree? I know a lot of you seem to just be ga-ga over them and I'm not interested in you unless you have a valid argument how they make you look good. It is like people want their bodies to look like triangles. You might as well put on a skin tight shirt and put your hair up in one thin long point to accentuate that look.
What a load of rubbish-all shape jeans are in in the UK from skinny through to wide leg.I personally hate skinny -they don't flatter my shape at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 04:11 PM

2,746 posts, read 9,840,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Well, excuse me but you had just better let me know where you live and all of the places you frequent so you don't become offended and flip-out when you see me in my boot cut jeans! Has it occured to you that not everyone has the same body type and maybe some people (myself included) look best in boot-cuts? Or that some people just don't follow fashion trends all that closely or CARE what others think? Does anyone here really care what Europeans are wearing? BTW-I have family in Europe (Germany and Russia) and yeah, people do wear boot-cuts still.

I personally think skinny jeans are the most hideous pants I've ever seen and people should be put down for wearing them but that's not my place to say so (even though I just did), and others can dress how they want. I'm not so shallow and insecure that I need to focus on others clothes and belittle them to make myself feel better...

Yeah, skinny jeans looked bad on me the first time around (and no, they're nothing new, for those who think they are!).... boot cut has always flattered my shape much much better (5'8", large framed, curvy). Totally balances out the curvature!!

Quote:
Okay I understand if your wearing them for practical reasons. And they are not in fashion because they have not been featured in any designers or high-fashion denim collections for years. I don't care if you don't stay in fashion, then you can wear them fine IDC. I just hate people that act like they care and know so much about clothing and trends and such and then wear them. It makes me want to vomit. And I think they are unflattering because I think that the thighs are one of the most unattractive areas on the body and boot cut jeans tend to hug the thigh. I lived in Moscow for one year and I am from France, I have lots of family there, and I go back there once or twice a year, they would NEVER wear boot cut jeans. I have no problem if you are wearing them for practical reasons, that is part of life. It is just SO annoying when someone claims to be so in and brags about all their luxurious clothes and shopping sprees and then wears something that is not considered in fashion. It doesn't matter if they are popular. Birkenstocks and popular and they aren't in fashion. Beside, they are so Chav! You might as well wear them with uggs and a trucker cap. How is that in fashion?
Where'd you get the bizarre thigh hatred? Thighs can be a super sexy part of the body! Especially when... yeah.. well nevermind. This IS the Fashion Forum after all.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:36 PM

4,408 posts, read 10,146,787 times
Quote:
I'm sorry but it is the truth! I'm starting to get really annoyed by people constantly wearing these hideous things. They make your thighs look terrible; hugs you in all the wrong places. Blah! I have no issues with straight leg jeans or skinnies, I don't even mind pants that completely flare out. But please, please, stay away from boot cut jeans. I don't know why stores constantly market them to Americans. If you go to Europe you won't see them any where and would not be caught dead in them. It is not 1995 anymore! They are so unflattering on both men and women and are never stylish. Does anyone else agree? I know a lot of you seem to just be ga-ga over them and I'm not interested in you unless you have a valid argument how they make you look good. It is like people want their bodies to look like triangles. You might as well put on a skin tight shirt and put your hair up in one thin long point to accentuate that look.

I notice you are from LA. That explains alot.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:41 PM

3,279 posts, read 4,647,432 times
Boot cut jeans, for the most part, do look really dated, like you're stuck in the late 90s.

You have to have slender hips and thighs and long legs to pull them off, or they just emphasize saddle bags and thunder thighs and make short legs seem stumpier.

A straight leg is going to be much more flattering in general. That's what they are always emphasizing for most women on shows like What Not to Wear, and every time the woman looks like she lost 10 lbs by wearing straight leg jeans in a dark wash and giving up the dated, faded bootcuts. I think a bit of flare looks okay as long it is narrow or the jeans are not too fitted in the thigh area.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:56 PM

17 posts, read 69,660 times
Default Boot-cut pants

Wow--have u got issues!!!!!! You need a hobby or something.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:25 PM

830 posts, read 1,552,795 times
Quote:
You have to have slender hips and thighs and long legs to pull them off
So then what if you do have that?

I have to say, bootleg on me looks way better than "skinny jeans", which ironically always come with the caveat that "only skinny women can wear them". I'm skinny and would look absolutely, pukishly ridiculous in skinny jeans. I can't imagine how they're supposed to look good on skinny legs. They look ok to me on people with average legs.

I have both straight leg and bootleg jeans - not sure if one looks better on me than the other, but I KNOW I'm not interested in looking like I lost 10 pounds so if that's what straight leg is supposed to do, then I should throw those away. Not everyone wants to look like they lost 10 pounds.

Quote:
You might as well wear them with uggs and a trucker cap.
That sounds cute.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:55 PM

2,480 posts, read 3,024,968 times
To me this is all age perspective.

I am older and do not care about what is in style, but what looks good on me. When I was a lot younger sure I was in to the current fad. Now I don't care.

I really don't think boot jeans will ever really go out of style as they compliment a lot of figures unlike the the skinny leg and the wide leg.

Only my 2 cents

Old 08-20-2009, 06:39 PM

4,551 posts, read 6,410,945 times
I like skinny jeans, but, not in me. I might change my mind I used to hate low cut but now I hate hate higher ones so who knows but I still like the boot cut a lot

Old 08-20-2009, 07:12 PM

419 posts, read 1,227,626 times
I don't wear jeans for fashion, I wear them for WORK. The boot cut fits over my WORK BOOTS....!!!!

Old 08-20-2009, 07:18 PM

7,691 posts, read 9,195,056 times
I think my bootcut jeans look absolutely fantastic on me. I have no hips, no rear, etc. They are the perfect fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty