U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 12:15 PM

18 posts, read 53,085 times

Advertisements

What are your recommendations for the best quality upscale men's sunglasses, prescription or non-prescription?

My Ray-Bans are great for casual wear but, for me, the aviator and retro 50's looks are dated. Lafont doesn't have the look I want but money is no object and I'm looking in that price range. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 12:20 PM

4,486 posts, read 14,922,691 times
Oakley is what I wear, great quality and many different styles to suit any taste. I have 4 different pairs but my main sunglasses are Oakley Flak Jacket's with polarized lenses. In Phoenix, good quality sunglasses are a MUST, it isn't even a question if you're going to be driving eastward during the morning or westward in the evening. I love my Oakley's, I wouldn't even consider wearing anything else!

Old 08-23-2009, 12:20 PM

24,889 posts, read 20,311,199 times
I've got a new pair of Ray-Bans, but they don't look like the old aviator brands.

I just go with what I think looks good, at a decent price. Break the mold, buy what you want, don't worry about everyone elses views.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:25 PM

13,433 posts, read 24,210,764 times
I love Serengeti. Stylish and they are great sunglasses. I also live in an area where eye protection is a necessity, not just a fashion accessory.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:51 PM

2,638 posts, read 10,498,214 times
Oakley. Their optics are phenomenal, and they are available in just about any style your heart desires.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:09 PM

2,546 posts, read 3,857,873 times
Are you kidding me? Big $$$ sunglasses? I still wearing my foldable Ferarri's from 1984, lol!
Attached Thumbnails
Upscale  Sunglasses ???-gg.jpg  

Old 08-23-2009, 01:10 PM

18 posts, read 53,085 times
Nothing against Serengeti, Oakley or Ray-Ban. They're great sunglasses but they're pretty ordinary. Everyone has them. I'm looking for something more distinctive.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:37 PM

7,289 posts, read 12,872,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hampshirelabrat View Post
What are your recommendations for the best quality upscale men's sunglasses, prescription or non-prescription?

My Ray-Bans are great for casual wear but, for me, the aviator and retro 50's looks are dated. Lafont doesn't have the look I want but money is no object and I'm looking in that price range. Thanks.
Oliver Peoples has been good for me a few times. They're nice, and expensive enough so that most people aren't wearing them. And IMO the quality is good. Both pairs that I have are made in Japan, which I consider a good thing. They were not even in the same price ballpark as Ray Ban or Maui Jim.

Price being no object is, I've found, a double-edged sword. It opens doors to high quality optics, but it also opens doors to paying for 99% style and 1% optics. I like polarized, glass lenses with A/R coating and heavy tint, as I feel it gives me the best coverage in an area where sunglasses aren't an option, but a requirement. It narrows the field substantially.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:47 PM

4,486 posts, read 14,922,691 times
Quote:
Nothing against Serengeti, Oakley or Ray-Ban. They're great sunglasses but they're pretty ordinary. Everyone has them. I'm looking for something more distinctive.
Will a $1000 pair of sunglasses be better than a $100 pair of sunglasses? Highly unlikely.

Oakley and Ray-Ban make top notch sunglasses that they stand behind. At some point you really have to think about the value you're getting for your money. Are people really going to notice the brand of sunglasses you're wearing? Doubtful. I bought my Oakley's because I know they are of high quality and won't break a few months after I've had them. Today you can buy imitations of just about any type of sunglasses for $20 and side by side, it's VERY difficult to tell them difference! Of course the cheap-o's won't be as durable or provide the level of UV protection that the real thing will but if you're solely looking for sunglasses on looks, buy an imitation and save yourself some money!

Old 08-23-2009, 04:11 PM

7,736 posts, read 13,967,370 times
My husband and I are fans of Maui Jim! I've owned Chanel and the like, but tossed them all because the don't compare. However I do have a pair of Cartier sunglasses (800+), but I still prefer my MJs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty