Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 08:35 AM

8,036 posts, read 10,626,487 times

Advertisements

I am approaching 50 and had been trying to find a good moisturizer/cream for YEARS that would not irritate my sensitive skin and was not greasy. I tried all kinds, including expensive department store brands (Clinique, etc.).

In desperation, while living in Montana where the dry air and cold was making my skin dry and itchy, I picked up a jar of Eucerin Q10 anti-wrinkle cream for sensitive skin at the local grocery store in the health and beauty aisle. It cost all of about $10.00 for the jar.

It is the best cream I have ever used, and one jar goes a long way. It has never irritated my skin, and I can just feel my skin go "ahhhh" as soon as I put it on. I have recommended it to several people who have really liked it. It's just a really good basic cream, and keeps your skin pretty clear and moist.

As far as the "anti-wrinkle" thing however, I really don't believe there is any cream that will prevent wrinkles. I'd go get a face lift or something that was really going to work before I'd spend hundreds of dollars on "gimmiky" creams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 10:34 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,015,656 times
I've used Eucerin Q10 for a long time for many reasons, including as a good night cream. It is great!

Old 09-07-2009, 01:05 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
I have been using Dr. Perricone's Cold Plasma for the entire summer and my skin looks great. It was the only cream that I took on vacation. While it is a little pricey, it is replacing everything that I have been using--which is a lot.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:29 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,438,047 times
Default Kindly recommend an excellent yet basic moisturizing cream for maturing 38y o skin

Before I start wasting time and money at the store trying out moisturizers that don't work, I thought about asking for some recommendations from knowledgeable people.

I need to find a basic cream (not lotion) for my 38 skin that is starting to show signs of maturity: it is dry (especially in this Massachusetts winter climate which we are hoping to exchange for a much more humid climate soon) and starting to feel thinner.

Unfortunately, I cannot spend a lot of money on department store fancy products like La Mer, etc - so don't even go there.

Something basic from the drug store that also happens to work very well for maturing skin. I've heard it is possible. Thanks a lot!!

Old 03-06-2011, 09:31 PM

2,534 posts, read 2,254,765 times
Vaseline Intensive Care and Cetaphil are both good brands that have moisturizing creams.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:35 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,198,570 times
Well.. first off- talk to your dermatologist (not a cosmetologist) about recommendations. I have had several dermatologist tell me to use mineral oil on my skin - and nothing else. (I have acne issues and excema)
I have a friend that swears by vaseline at night - she has extremely dry skin. I've had someone also swear by vaseline for their cuticles.

Check with your dermatologist they will be able to recommend something for your skin type that will work.. after all - thats their speciality.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:10 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,282,515 times
Olay is a scary line of products, total avoid....:....seriously, would not touch with a ten foot pole. All marketing & hype, almost evil really! I wasted a decade on drugstore crap & have nothing but regrets. The only true anti aging products are based on retinoids & copper peptides. A good sunscreen & diet are key, but just staying out of the sun & eating healthy doesn't improve skin that much, especially if you have a lot of sun damage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
I have had really good luck with the Olay regenerist lines then switched and am in the middle of switching back.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:20 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,282,515 times
You might want to read The Skin Type Solution by Leslie Baumann.

Skin Type Solutions - Welcome!

Old 03-07-2011, 04:53 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
I like the Oil of Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream. You can buy it at Costco (pakages of 2) for under $40....I think it is amazing - makes your skin feel like velvet. I would never use vaseline or mineral oil on my face - both of those products plug your pores and are very messy - I know because I have tried both and they both caused me to have plugged pore breakouts.

Here is the Oil of Olay website:

Explore All Regenerist Skin Care Products | Olay

Old 03-07-2011, 05:21 AM

8,036 posts, read 10,626,487 times
I have washed with Nozema since I was 13, recently switching to the "Plus Moisturizers" formula. Nothing gets off make-up like it, and it never dries your skin.

As far as creams, it's just been in the past few years I've found the need to moisturize, having had oily skin most of my life. I've tried just about everything out there - if they weren't too greasy, they broke my skin out or irritated it, etc.

I found Eucerin anti-wrinkle skin cream for sensitive skin at Rite-Aid and I really like it. A little goes a long way, it's very calming, and not greasy. My daughter even likes to use it, and she's in her twenties. She says it makes an awesome hand/nail cream also.

I may give that Oil of Olay cream a try too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty