U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2009, 11:26 PM

19 posts, read 44,487 times

Advertisements

Hello there,

So I'm gonna be 26 this year and I am still breaking out like a preteen!! I'm so sick of it. I've tried just about everything under the sun...

OTC like Noxema, Clean and Clear, Neutragena (sp?), Arbonne, etc
Retin-A
Doxycyclin
Clyndomycin
ProActive (and all the knock off brands at Walmart)

I have very oily skin (which only seems to be chillin out a LITTLE since moving to vegas), so I know that doesnt help.

I've been reading up on Laser Acne treatments, but I'm scared to spend that kind of money with no guarantee that it will help. I spoke with a doctor recently for a free consultation and, all in all, she said it will be about $1700!! She'll do the laser (4 treatments) and microdermabrasion (6 treatments) and that also includes me buying the skin care line they have (of course).

Anyone had this procedure done or know anyone who has?? What should something like this cost on average?

Just looking for some input.

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 06:27 AM

8,998 posts, read 12,761,482 times
I have done chemical peels and they have helped a lot in terms of scarring I've had.
I still break out on occasion but I don't really worry about it.

I would suggest visiting a dermatologist and getting on some antibiotics. They helped me a lot.
You would be better off spending your money on a dermatologist, in my opinion.

I bet the laser treatment would be effective but that's A LOT of money to drop (even though that's a pretty good deal considering all the treatments you're getting done, I know down here just ONE treatment of microdermabrasion, depending on where you go, can cost about $500, other places $70). If you feel it's worth it, go for it but I would strongly suggest visiting a dermatologist that can prescribe some antibiotics.

I'm sure if you do a search for laser acne treatment you'll find about other people's results.

I wish you the best of luck and be sure to update on us which route you went.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:56 PM

2,745 posts, read 12,852,605 times
I don't have any really good advice since you've tried all the things I would suggest. I would be mindful of diet and specifically lots of WATER, it seems to help.

I will tell you that I outgrew it, though I certainly know why you wouldn't want to wait to see. I had WORSE acne in my 20's than I did when I was a teen! I was super frustrated by it but by age 31 or so it was all gone. Weird, but I was glad!

Old 08-30-2009, 07:35 PM

562 posts, read 2,087,161 times
I still have acne at 41, unless I take amoxicillin daily. Great advice fierce- flawless but when its hormonal cystic acne all the H2O and organic foods in the world won't matter, in my experience . Have you tried going on the pill? That helped me in my 20-30's. Pregnancy was the ultimate cure, proving that its hormones at fault. I could never afford laser, but my scars are mostly gone due to Retin A and at home microdermabrasion.

Whatever you need to do, invest in yourself. Deep cystic acne is very hard to deal with!Good luck!

Old 08-30-2009, 11:36 PM

182 posts, read 542,561 times
A friend of mine had it done about a year ago. Her acne cleared up a lot for a couple months, but now its back how it was before she had it done. She had a lot of dark spots that popped up on her face, her doctor told her it was a normal side effect and would lighten in a few months, but they are still there,too. She was pretty mad about it, I know she had to get a summer job to pay for it (sorry, I don't know the exact cost).

Old 08-31-2009, 02:15 AM

fabumom07, you know its funny you mention pregnancy...most books say that pregnancy will bring ON acne, but my face was clear for the FIRST time when I was pregnant with my son. That's about the only thing that would make me want to get pregnant again lol!

I know its hormonal for me, which is why I wont even look at treatments now if they dont have supplements. For the most part, I can get my acne to be "gone" up until two weeks before my period. Then I get the most fierce and embarassing outbreak EVER and I spend the week before and the week of my period trying to hide under a rock. My acne scars my face with dark brown spots (I'm mixed, so my skin is a tan color), so once the nightmare is "over", I am left with evidence of its existence. I then spend the next two weeks desperately trying to fade the spots, only for the cycle to repeat itself

I only drink water, with the exception of milk or orange juice for breakfast. Mind you, I am bad about getting the required amount in everyday, but that's why I only drink water lol. I have a fairly healthy diet...whole grain breads, fish, chicken, vegetables, yogurt and fruit are part of my daily diet.

I was hoping the laser was a way to finally attack the root of the problem. Zap away the acne causing bacteria. But like you said windblownhair, I'm not rich enough to spend this kind of money, only for it to come back or, worse yet, not even work. There needs to be SOME kind of guarantee. What the hell do the famous people use?!?!?!

Old 08-31-2009, 10:27 AM

2,638 posts, read 10,495,562 times
Quote:
I was hoping the laser was a way to finally attack the root of the problem. Zap away the acne causing bacteria.
This is a common misconception. The bacteria are not really the cause, the overgrowth of bacteria is more of a symptom. People who don't have acne still have this bacteria in their pores, but they don't break out. The real issue is that acne-prone pores clog up from the inside. The cells that line the follicles shed much quicker in acne-prone skins versus normal skin, and the sebum of the acne-prone tends to be stickier. The excess cells and sticky sebum combine to form a plug, creating an anaerobic environment under the plug which allows the bacteria to grow like crazy. So treatments designed to kill bacteria aren't really a solution.

What you need is something that normalizes the pores. Retinoids do this best, but they require a real commitment when used topically since they take awhile to work. If the patient follows the directions and immediately begins to apply it twice daily, they usually become a red, peely mess and quit in disgust. This can be avoided by introducing skin to it over time and slowly building up to the full application frequency. For some reason, doctors often fail to communicate this to their patients.

Isotretinoin (Accutane) is a retinoid that is taken internally and is very effective for most patients. It usually produces at least an extended remission, sometimes it permanently clears. Many famous people who used to have acne (but now don't) used low-dose isotretinoin therapy. It does have side effects and you must be monitored while on it to watch for any liver problems. To prevent birth defects, women must avoid pregnancy one month before, all during, and one month after treatment ends.

Birth control pills often work against hormonal acne since they prevent the big surge of androgens that happens before your period and triggers breakouts. Since you were clear during your pregnancy, this may be the most sensible option for you. It would certainly cost less than $1700.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:15 PM

Wow tilli, that was probably one of the most thorough explanations of acne that I've ever read! And, believe me, I've read all sorts of medical articles about this subject. The laser treatement probably appears to "work" because, even though nothing is being done to treat the "plug", if the bacteria is temporarily destroyed, nothing is growing to infect the plugged area. Thus, the person does not see a pimple. I'm sure my oily skin has a lot to do with this, but it's a blessing and a curse. The oil helps keep my skin moisturized, which prevents the onset of premature wrinkles and aging. However, who cares about wrinkles when I'm full of scars and bumps!

Even before I was a mother, I swore I'd never take accutane. The benefits of clear skin just arent great enough for me to take ANY chance that a future child of mine could be harmed. I'll look into other retinoid treatments, if there are any.

I have struggled my entire life to do ANYTHING consistently on a day-to-day basis. Because of that, taking a birth control pill won't really work for me. I wish there was a way to extract key ingredients from the pill to make another pill just for curing acne (although I'm sure its the ingredients that make it a birth control pill that do the trick) because I dont like the idea of putting chemicals in my body to interfere with the natural reproduction process.

Thanks a lot for the great information. The search will continue and I promise to post any results! lol

Old 09-01-2009, 07:26 AM

2,638 posts, read 10,495,562 times
Quote:
The laser treatement probably appears to "work" because, even though nothing is being done to treat the "plug", if the bacteria is temporarily destroyed, nothing is growing to infect the plugged area.
Exactly, and because this is only temporary, you have to re-treat indefinitely. Big bucks.

Quote:
Even before I was a mother, I swore I'd never take accutane. The benefits of clear skin just arent great enough for me to take ANY chance that a future child of mine could be harmed.
If you are responsible enough to use two forms of reliable birth control as required, during the month leading up to, all during the course, and one month after, your future children will not be effected. The fetus must actually be directly exposed to isotretinoin in the womb, and amounts in the bloodstream drop back to normal levels within 3 weeks of ending treatment. Avoiding pregnancy for eight months is a small price to pay for normalized skin, imo. If I ever need it again I will not hestitate. Having clear skin has made such a huge difference in my self esteem, and hence the quality of my life. I hope you find something that works for you.
Quote:
have struggled my entire life to do ANYTHING consistently on a day-to-day basis. Because of that, taking a birth control pill won't really work for me. I
Maybe the nuva-ring might work? It is a ring you insert once a week for three weeks, then have one week off and start over. That would be easier to remember than a daily pill.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:58 AM

2,868 posts, read 8,444,336 times
Duac topical gel.

ETA I also have a couple of girl friends who take Spironolactone with no issues. It is actually a blood pressure medicine in a low dose. But those who take it, love the results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty