Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2009, 08:57 PM

620 posts, read 1,772,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
You should go start one! I'm just about out but I'm sure if I dig I can find more!
It may be a long wait. I barely post in other people's threads. Look at our join dates and the differences in post count lol! I really have to catch up one of these days.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:09 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,891 times
I have four--I designed two of them. I think my tattoos are beautiful--I'm always complimented on them whenever I wear something revealing enough to show them.

I say to each his own. I won't make fun of your artless body if you will refrain from dissing my beautiful body art.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:20 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Thanks. I guess I figure that there's not much I can do about it anyway - even if it was my job to do something about it...

Here are some of my random thoughts about tattoos:

First, while I think having a tattoo used to be some sort of statement - something that made you stand out - tattoos are now so common that people without them are the ones who stand out. Weird...

Second, I can't help but wonder how many people will eventually be deeply regretting their tattoos - or at least some of them. In fact, if I could figure out how to invent an easy, sure-fire way to erase tattoos, I'm pretty sure I'd become a multi-billionaire within the next 20 years.

Third, I can't help but get certain "vibes" when I see certain kinds of tattoos on certain kinds of people. You'll see guys who are obviously trying way too hard (especially middle-aged guys like me), and their tattoos make the look like idiots. And is it just me, and my personal hang-up (or whatever it is), that thinks a lot of tattoo'd girls just look kind of slutty? I'll fully admit that it's my deal, and I probably shouldn't feel that way, but I can't quite get over that feeling.
You make an interesting point about people who don't have tattoos stand out... that 'argument' has been used many times and still makes no sense to me. You don't stand out by being normal... even if there are plenty of people around you that are abnormal, the normal ones will still be looked over. Plus, many MANY people who have tattoos have them in places that you can't see when wearing normal clothing, so those 'normal' looking people might just have a full backpiece, or a large pieces on their stomach and you would never know.

I can see the slutty thing... tattoos on girls is still a little taboo. I guess a way of thinking is that 'a girl would get a tattoo, which is risque, I wonder what else she'll do!'. Plus of course, all the girls with really crappy generic 'flash off the wall' tramp stamps don't really help. I see it all the time in my college town. I'm hoping that eventually the stereotypes will fade, but that takes time.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:49 PM

259 posts, read 732,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
You make an interesting point about people who don't have tattoos stand out... that 'argument' has been used many times and still makes no sense to me. You don't stand out by being normal... even if there are plenty of people around you that are abnormal, the normal ones will still be looked over. Plus, many MANY people who have tattoos have them in places that you can't see when wearing normal clothing, so those 'normal' looking people might just have a full backpiece, or a large pieces on their stomach and you would never know.

I can see the slutty thing... tattoos on girls is still a little taboo. I guess a way of thinking is that 'a girl would get a tattoo, which is risque, I wonder what else she'll do!'. Plus of course, all the girls with really crappy generic 'flash off the wall' tramp stamps don't really help. I see it all the time in my college town. I'm hoping that eventually the stereotypes will fade, but that takes time.
these days people are different...just like everyone else. So ironically, they're strange when they're normal!

I love how my shocking my backpiece can be to people. I don't advertise it or wear clothes to show it off - sh1t, sometimes I forget it's even back there! How risqué is that?! haha

Old 09-19-2009, 09:51 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,902,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
Excellent!

I love the Moko.

YouTube - Moko Tattoos - New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Samadhi View Post
It may be a long wait. I barely post in other people's threads. Look at our join dates and the differences in post count lol! I really have to catch up one of these days.
Yeah, that's on account I talk too much and I need to get a life!
Clearly you already have one!

Old 09-19-2009, 09:58 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:

Yeah, I suppose. Like I said earlier, I have no real vested interest in this, or really strong feelings. But there is that visceral gut-level feel that's hard to completely ignore.

Earlier this week, the Men's Group I work with was installing cabinets, counter-tops and a sink in the kitchen of a inner-city drop-in center for homeless teens. The supervisor there was a young gal (probably mid-late 20s) whose chest was covered with some pretty massive tattoos. I think they were eagles, but I was trying not to stare. She also had tattoos down both arms.

Mind you, this gal was very nice, very competent, very cool. But it was just kind of weird. I'm not even sure why.

Honestly, I think part of me just loves the female body. My wife of 26 years is absolutely gorgeous, and frankly I'd hate to see her cover her natural beauty with tattoos.

I guess it still kind of comes down to the old "to each his own" saying...

Old 09-19-2009, 10:05 PM

620 posts, read 1,772,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Yeah, that's on account I talk too much and I need to get a life!
Clearly you already have one!
My post count is more likely due to pure lack of motivation to share. Thanks to you and TheCaliforniaBear for those clips, by the way. I won't lie; I got a bit too happy at first glance, thinking they were more tattoo songs lol.

Old 09-19-2009, 10:13 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Yeah, I suppose. Like I said earlier, I have no real vested interest in this, or really strong feelings. But there is that visceral gut-level feel that's hard to completely ignore.

Earlier this week, the Men's Group I work with was installing cabinets, counter-tops and a sink in the kitchen of a inner-city drop-in center for homeless teens. The supervisor there was a young gal (probably mid-late 20s) whose chest was covered with some pretty massive tattoos. I think they were eagles, but I was trying not to stare. She also had tattoos down both arms.

Mind you, this gal was very nice, very competent, very cool. But it was just kind of weird. I'm not even sure why.

Honestly, I think part of me just loves the female body. My wife of 26 years is absolutely gorgeous, and frankly I'd hate to see her cover her natural beauty with tattoos.

I guess it still kind of comes down to the old "to each his own" saying...
I've actually been in a similar situation at my company. I spoke on the phone for quite some time over many weeks with a rep from Pratt&Whitney when I was ordering a rental engine for one of our jets. It's a loooooong drawn out (and very pricey) experience but it worked out okay in the end. He ended up coming down (we recently got our 145 certificate which makes us pretty darn legit ) and I wish I could have taken a picture of the shock on his face when he met me. He was very surprised that I'm young (25) tall (6'1) and covered in tattoos. I'm hoping that I might have changed one mind regarding tattoos that day.... he really warmed up to me throughout the few days he was there.

To be honest, I still judge people who have tattoos, but I think it's on a different level than those who simply don't have any. I can judge on placement, style and quality over just having one. I had an old roommate who was an ex convict ( I know, I know....) and he had REALLY ****ty tattoos all over his neck. That, compared to my very well done and correctly placed tattoos was very evident.

Old 09-19-2009, 10:16 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
I've actually been in a similar situation at my company. I spoke on the phone for quite some time over many weeks with a rep from Pratt&Whitney when I was ordering a rental engine for one of our jets. It's a loooooong drawn out (and very pricey) experience but it worked out okay in the end. He ended up coming down (we recently got our 145 certificate which makes us pretty darn legit ) and I wish I could have taken a picture of the shock on his face when he met me. He was very surprised that I'm young (25) tall (6'1) and covered in tattoos. I'm hoping that I might have changed one mind regarding tattoos that day.... he really warmed up to me throughout the few days he was there.

To be honest, I still judge people who have tattoos, but I think it's on a different level than those who simply don't have any. I can judge on placement, style and quality over just having one. I had an old roommate who was an ex convict ( I know, I know....) and he had REALLY ****ty tattoos all over his neck. That, compared to my very well done and correctly placed tattoos was very evident.
Please pardon my complete ignorance here, and you don't have to tell me if you don't want, but are you a guy or girl?

Old 09-19-2009, 10:27 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,902,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Samadhi View Post
My post count is more likely due to pure lack of motivation to share. Thanks to you and TheCaliforniaBear for those clips, by the way. I won't lie; I got a bit too happy at first glance, thinking they were more tattoo songs lol.
Well most of the other songs I know only reference tattoos, they're not specifically about them.

Of course I can't help but post this one because....well....drool ....AND it reminds me of stickman!

And now my bitter hands cradle broken glass
Of what was everything
All the pictures have all been washed in black, tattooed everything...

YouTube - Pearl Jam-Black

Last edited by moonshadow; 09-19-2009 at 10:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty