Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2014, 09:59 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,034,491 times

Advertisements

Getting a tattoo is a risk you take. A lot of people find them unappealing, especially what it says about your priorities and judgment skills.

It's like wearing a mullet or a polyester suit. You might think it's cool, and your friends might keep telling you so, but is it, really? At least you can change your stupid trendy hair-do.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:25 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
I always say our unwise but apparently cool expressions of youthful identity in the 1980s were limited to bad hair and bad clothing.(perhaps piercings) None of which remained a permanent reminder on our bodies once reason prevailed.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:09 PM

382 posts, read 804,269 times
I have tattoos. I cover them up when I need too and leave them exposed when I can. As long as you don't have them on your neck or face, they are harmless. I think being a fat slob is worse than having tattoos.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:49 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,452,341 times
I personally would never get one.... although I find them amazing. Some of the art work these tattoo artists do are amazing. My friend has an owl and it's so pretty! However, there is a thing (in my opinion) w/ someone having too many tattoo's. Not even joking, but an old coworker of mine basically almost has her whole body in tattoo's. Since she has so many, you can't appreciate the art of each one, and she is pretty, but all the excessive tattoo's take away from it.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:00 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersgrl1969 View Post
I don't have any, but my husband has a bunch. I don't like them on people's faces or necks, nor do I like tattoos on a woman's arms or legs-I think it makes her look kinda manly and tough.
I also think the older you get, the worse they look. I like Robin Williams' description: " When you're 18 you get a barbed wire tattoo, and by the time you're 80 it's f***ing picket fence!"
I agree. My brother dated this very pretty girl but they eventually broke up. I hadn't seen her for awhile and ran into her in the summer. She had tattoos everywhere. It made her look like a hard ass and she no longer looked pretty. imho.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:30 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,831 times
I would say the % of women with tattoos is (far) higher than the % of those who find tattoos on women attractive.

I think what happened was women collectively started liking the tough hard ass bad boy look for men, a big part of that was tattoos. Sorry this happened but it did. Anyway women were so in awe of these hypermasculine tattooed dudes that they started getting tattooed themselves. They figured men found them as attractive as they do. I'm sure some do but they are in minority.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:49 AM

887 posts, read 1,100,154 times
Tattoo's are for the individual. I've got a few, but I do wear one on the side of my head. I accept that there are people out there who are turned off by them, but it fits who I am well. I can grow hair over it if I choose, but I typically have worn my hair cut short enough where you can still see it at the right angle. Tattoo's for women, some I find attractive and some I find unattractive, again it depends on the persons personality. I do find tattoo's that are too cliche a turn off. I am thrilled when someone has a good story for why they chose to pick something to wear on their body for ever. My rule for myself is know what I want and where I want it for a year before I commit. I also draw up all of my own ideas

Old 01-14-2014, 10:28 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I would say the % of women with tattoos is (far) higher than the % of those who find tattoos on women attractive.

I think what happened was women collectively started liking the tough hard ass bad boy look for men, a big part of that was tattoos. Sorry this happened but it did. Anyway women were so in awe of these hypermasculine tattooed dudes that they started getting tattooed themselves. They figured men found them as attractive as they do. I'm sure some do but they are in minority.
Er, no. While I am fond of well-done body art, I am rarely attracted to those who are moderately or heavily tattooed because they're not my type overall. I've only had two partners with more than a couple tattoos, my current beau and my most recent ex. My ex-husband, despite having spent 12 years in the Marine Corps, has not a single tattoo. Nor have the vast majority of other men I have dated.

I have sported the most ink of all the men I have dated or been involved with. And I've certainly never been on the receiving end of negative looks or comments no matter where I've lived. Heck, I spent several years in the South, in an affluent and progressive area, and received nothing but compliments from men and women of all ages.

How body modification looks, whether it's attractive, depends highly on the individual wearing it and the art itself.

I am actually not attracted to hyper-masculine men. My beau has a lot of tattoos, yet is not alpha male or a hard core bad ass. Not at all.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:55 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post

I know this is a crazy thought...but many women do things they want to do without caring what men think!

I never got attention from men growing up, and still don't, so my decision regarding tattoos had nothing to do with that.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:08 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
I don't have any judgments about whether anyone gets tattoos or not - I personally don't have any and don't want any (especially at my age!)

I just wonder how some women are going to feel when they get to be older if they are all tatted up - I don't think heavy tattoos will look good on wrinkled skin - just sayin!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty