Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2014, 03:52 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times

Advertisements

I'm extremely counter-culture; therefore, I have no tats. I like being original by not jumping on the tattoo bandwagon.

Additionally, the majority of tattoos out there look stupid and are tacky. I've seen a few cool ones, but they are few and far between.

Tattoos are a lot like restaurants. In order to get to a good restaurant, you have to pass by 20 McDonalds, 10 Burger Kings, 8 Jack In The Boxes, 5 Taco Bells and 3 Applebees.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:11 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I don't have any judgments about whether anyone gets tattoos or not - I personally don't have any and don't want any (especially at my age!)

I just wonder how some women are going to feel when they get to be older if they are all tatted up - I don't think heavy tattoos will look good on wrinkled skin - just sayin!
I won't give a sh*t about wrinkled skin when I'm, ya know, advanced age.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:21 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I don't have any judgments about whether anyone gets tattoos or not - I personally don't have any and don't want any (especially at my age!)

I just wonder how some women are going to feel when they get to be older if they are all tatted up - I don't think heavy tattoos will look good on wrinkled skin - just sayin!
Wrinkled skin doesn't look good on wrinkled skin.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:10 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I'm extremely counter-culture; therefore, I have no tats. I like being original by not jumping on the tattoo bandwagon.

Additionally, the majority of tattoos out there look stupid and are tacky. I've seen a few cool ones, but they are few and far between.

Tattoos are a lot like restaurants. In order to get to a good restaurant, you have to pass by 20 McDonalds, 10 Burger Kings, 8 Jack In The Boxes, 5 Taco Bells and 3 Applebees.
No, you're not. You're just like every other sheep out there that doesn't get a tattoo.

NOBODY is original and not getting a tattoo is NOT counter-culture. Out of my close group of friends, I'm one of only 2 who has a tattoo, out of probably 30 or so people. Not everyone does it to fit in or jump on a bandwagon.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:09 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
No, you're not. You're just like every other sheep out there that doesn't get a tattoo.

NOBODY is original and not getting a tattoo is NOT counter-culture. Out of my close group of friends, I'm one of only 2 who has a tattoo, out of probably 30 or so people. Not everyone does it to fit in or jump on a bandwagon.
Well, maybe if you live in Chickenpuke, Iowa and the closest tattoo shop is three days on wagon, you don't see many people in town with tattoos. I'm just 30 minutes from a major metropolis; therefore, just about everybody I know has a tattoo.

38% of people 30 - 39 have a tattoo (America's booming tattoo economy: By the numbers - The Week). I'm guessing that once you separate out the rural dwellers, the percentage of people in the urban and suburban areas jump up.

Then again, it could just be a suburban fad (I live in the suburbs), where people who live in the suburbs believe that once they own a motorcycle and/or have a tattoo, it somehow separates them. "Yeah, I might live in the burbs, but I'm a bad___ at heart. Check out my ink and my Harley."

Old 01-15-2014, 07:30 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,414,021 times
Some people earn their tattoos, it's a right of passage between the boys during War Time. You pass you're Infantry, then Airborne, then move onto your SFAS, then you're two year (Q) course qualifications, Green Berets, Seal, (CAG) Combat Applications Group, aka- Tier 1 Delta. Da boys get Red and Black, "Tip of the Sword" and it's an Honor. Just like wearing your black woolies.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:06 AM

398 posts, read 698,168 times
Tattoos can look seedy on people who ordinarily look seedy to begin with. It's not the tattoo - it's the person! Like any piece of clothing, you can wear it right (or not)!

Old 01-15-2014, 09:23 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,372,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teejuris View Post
Is it just the conservative side of me, or are tattoos (tats) the most disgusting, repulsive and grotesque eye sores on the human body and complete turn-offs?
The ones I've seen were the work of a bad artist or a major cliché (like the barb tattoo/Chinese symbols).... I think I have seen maybe 2-3 in my life that I thought were interesting and well-done works of art. I can appreciate a really good piece of artwork - it just seems hard to find in a tattoo. If I were to have a tattoo done (which I'm not), I'd make sure I found one of the best artists in the country to do it, so there's some quality in the work.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:38 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Well, maybe if you live in Chickenpuke, Iowa and the closest tattoo shop is three days on wagon, you don't see many people in town with tattoos. I'm just 30 minutes from a major metropolis; therefore, just about everybody I know has a tattoo.

38% of people 30 - 39 have a tattoo (America's booming tattoo economy: By the numbers - The Week). I'm guessing that once you separate out the rural dwellers, the percentage of people in the urban and suburban areas jump up.

Then again, it could just be a suburban fad (I live in the suburbs), where people who live in the suburbs believe that once they own a motorcycle and/or have a tattoo, it somehow separates them. "Yeah, I might live in the burbs, but I'm a bad___ at heart. Check out my ink and my Harley."
I live in Boston. As in, IN the city itself. I still don't see many people with tattoos and I have a full sleeve...I'm often the only one around with a visible tattoo and believe me, I notice. I grew up on the coast of California, and I was still one of very few who had any sort of tattoos.

Regardless, not everyone gets tattoos to separate themselves, many get them simply because they want them and have no ulterior motives.

Like I said, people who think they're 'special' because they don't have tattoos simply aren't. Neither are those who have tattoos.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:16 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novila View Post
Tattoos can look seedy on people who ordinarily look seedy to begin with. It's not the tattoo - it's the person! Like any piece of clothing, you can wear it right (or not)!

Yup.

I think that people's feelings about tattoos stem from the sorts of people they've known who had tattoos while they were younger and more impressionable.

If the only tattoos you ever saw were on criminals in movies or on sketchy-looking people? You will equate tattoos with illegal activity and/or questionable behavior.

If your experiences were more varied, that's how you'll see tattoos and the people who have them.

I have a couple of rather large tattoos... I can hide them easily, though.

I see people all the time with tattoos and I may or may not think that they look a bit dicey, but it's really more about the person overall... or sometimes, it's about the quality of the tattoos... if you see enough tattoos, it's easy enough to discern a youthful mistake from a propensity to cover yourself in el cheapo scratch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty