U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 05:40 PM

876 posts, read 3,433,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNYgirl View Post
Supercharged - not looking for a tattoo there, why do you have a preference where I get one? What do you call the tribal bands the guys have? Are they tramp stamps for men?

What about body piercing, anywhere good in Charlotte?
I dont have a preference where YOU get one. Just asking if thats where you were putting it. I've always liked seeing women with tattoo's on their lower backs, as well as belly-button piercings, just completes the package I guess..LOL.

I don't know what the tribal bands are called, I dont have one. I do like the look of tribal sleeves though, but I dont have the "insert male anatomy name here" to do it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2007, 09:57 AM

295 posts, read 1,174,974 times
Just for the sake of fair balance ... I'm one of the silent majority that STRONGLY prefers the look of no tattoos anywhere on a woman. If they must - a lower back tattoo is extremely unappealing to me.

To me, a tattoo is something someone might be inclined to get that represents a life-altering event. I'm not a fan of when people use it for random decoration. (Especially as has already been mentioned - when its completely unoriginal and has no significance ... like the tramp stamp or the arm barbed wire, etc).

I'm not looking to start a flame war here, just stating that there are many people like myself that really don't like the appearance of them. I mentioned specifically women above for a few reasons ... the most significant being that I'm a guy and care far less what other guys do than what other women do. There are millions of things we all do that make us more attractive or less attractive to the other sex.

To me, tattoos take away from the natural beauty God gave you. To other people, I guess it adds. Fortunately there are lots of options for each of us. If you are dead set on one or are a hard core tattoo junkie - by all means, go nuts. I'm just hoping to add to the voice of reason to anyone who might later say "it was something stupid I did when I was young".

Old 05-05-2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samohtal View Post
Just for the sake of fair balance ... I'm one of the silent majority that STRONGLY prefers the look of no tattoos anywhere on a woman. If they must - a lower back tattoo is extremely unappealing to me.

To me, a tattoo is something someone might be inclined to get that represents a life-altering event. I'm not a fan of when people use it for random decoration. (Especially as has already been mentioned - when its completely unoriginal and has no significance ... like the tramp stamp or the arm barbed wire, etc).

I'm not looking to start a flame war here, just stating that there are many people like myself that really don't like the appearance of them. I mentioned specifically women above for a few reasons ... the most significant being that I'm a guy and care far less what other guys do than what other women do. There are millions of things we all do that make us more attractive or less attractive to the other sex.

To me, tattoos take away from the natural beauty God gave you. To other people, I guess it adds. Fortunately there are lots of options for each of us. If you are dead set on one or are a hard core tattoo junkie - by all means, go nuts. I'm just hoping to add to the voice of reason to anyone who might later say "it was something stupid I did when I was young".
Tattoo's are a part of a generation. I am sure the next generation will have something else, and the next, and so forth. I would not expect everyone to be "ok" with the tattoo's on a woman, etc, but today's society finds most women have one somewhere on their body. Either that or a piercing other than the ears.

Some people are just more conservative than others, but I do believe that just because someone has a tattoo I would not think any different of them. I am not insinuating this is how you feel, rather just saying that this is how I feel...

I have no tattoos, my wife has one (hidden so no one but lil ole me can see). I dont think I will ever have one, but I certainly am not opposed to the idea if it came down to it. If my wife decided to cover her whole body in ink, I would still love her like before, just with more color now!

Old 05-05-2007, 10:30 AM

201 posts, read 726,193 times
Quote:

I can understand your feelings. Actually, I was completely against tattoos for a long time...at least against getting on on my own body. Part of this reason was because my ex husband told me that he would look at me like I was just disgusting and trash if I ever got one. He also didn't mind men getting tattoos, but on a woman...forget it. I have a serious problem with such a double standard.

I now have just one, a small, discreet one on my hip that does represent something very significant and meaningful to me. I was 31 years old when I did it, just a year ago. No regrets.

Tattoos are not for everyone, there is no question about that. You are right about people sometimes "doing something stupid when they are young". It is a very serious decision, and while I think some tattoos are absolutely beautiful, I also think a person needs to put a great deal of thought into the process before having it done. It's important to think about how you might feel about it 20 years from now.

-My Two Cents

Old 05-05-2007, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeek74 View Post
He also didn't mind men getting tattoos, but on a woman...forget it. I have a serious problem with such a double standard.
I appreciate your comments. Just for the record ... I don't like tattoos on men, either - but since I'm not attracted to men regardless of their tattoo status, it concerns me much less.

Now, to dig a little deeper - I won't necessarily state that everyone that has tattoos are bad people, but I do think we all need to be prepared to say that our decisions will have an impact on how people perceive us. Tattoos are one decision, as is smoking, makeup, clothes, piercings, hair, car, etc. Obviously people make assumptions about each other for all of those things and obviously there are exceptions to every category. If you looked at the demographics that might apply to any number of "categories", though, they certainly change from what the demographics are for the general population.

Would you say tattoo-bearers as a group (not just you individually) are more or less likely than the general population to:
  • Smoke
    Have good credit
    Have a college degree
    Play a musical instrument
    Get a divorce
    Own a home
    Watch Oprah
    Go to church
    Vote
    Take recreational drugs
    Earn a six-figure salary
    Participate in sports
    Have high cholesterol
    Listen to Barry Manilow

This could go off on an entirely different tangent, which isn't my intention. I've dated women and met others who have tattoos and were great people. All I'm saying is decisions like this and others help other people form opinions about us in lieu of actual knowledge. Once (if) they get to know us better, they can determine if their initial impressions match up with their later impressions. We all make assumptions every day that can be proven correct or incorrect. We couldn't function otherwise.

For instance - I own and drive a motorcycle. You could easily substitute "driving a motorcycle" into the random list I showed above and come up with an equally compelling demographic profile. Does it make it accurate for me individually? Probably not ... but it doesn't make the demographic profile any less real.

Wow. This could really stir up a hornets nest. I'm just trying to stimulate thought about the reality of our world ... not trying to tick anyone off.

Old 05-05-2007, 12:11 PM

201 posts, read 726,193 times
Quote:
Wow. This could really stir up a hornets nest. I'm just trying to stimulate thought about the reality of our world ... not trying to tick anyone off.
I certainly am not ticked off. I have to say that I believe that things are changing more and more...tattoos seem to be far more common now, and in all walks of life. (I happen to know several people who make 6 figures that have tattoos and are non-smokers.)

I'll admit, there is a reason that I made sure my tattoo was put in a discreet place. I love my tattoo, however, I don't believe that having it exposed is particularily professional. I know, and accept the fact that I might be viewed at differently when working in my position, if I had openly visible ink on my body.

Is this the right way to look at things? Maybe not. Does this mean that people are judgemental? Perhaps. I even find myself with those very same thoughts sometimes...especially when I'm being waited on in a "nice" restaurant by someone who has a nose, lip, or eyebrow piercing. There was a time when such things weren't permitted in most areas of the service or retail industry. It isn't that I think that people shouldn't get such things, again, it is a matter of personal choice. I guess I am one of those who feels it isn't always appropriate in certain situations.

Old 05-05-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeek74 View Post
I'll admit, there is a reason that I made sure my tattoo was put in a discreet place. I love my tattoo, however, I don't believe that having it exposed is particularily professional. I know, and accept the fact that I might be viewed at differently when working in my position, if I had openly visible ink on my body.

Is this the right way to look at things? Maybe not. Does this mean that people are judgemental? Perhaps. I even find myself with those very same thoughts sometimes...especially when I'm being waited on in a "nice" restaurant by someone who has a nose, lip, or eyebrow piercing. There was a time when such things weren't permitted in most areas of the service or retail industry. It isn't that I think that people shouldn't get such things, again, it is a matter of personal choice. I guess I am one of those who feels it isn't always appropriate in certain situations.
Sounds rational to me. It would be interesting, to say the least, if a CEO of a bank or another similar position had tattoo flames crawling up his neck from beneath his suit and tie, a Chinese symbol on the back of his neck, or the letters L-O-V-E and H-A-T-E across his knuckles. Now, if he's got a small heart with his wife's name on the inside of his ankle or if his wife has their child's initials on her hip ... that's probably a different story.

Old 05-05-2007, 03:14 PM

928 posts, read 3,477,207 times
This is a fun thread.

The funny think I think about is the guys who tattoo 'f___ on their bodies.
Who wants a swear word on their body. I also heard that if you have neck/very visable tattoos it is heavily frowned up by management.

I hate summer season besides ugly nasty scaly feet, the guts come out and many ugly tattoos seem to show up. Alot of chicks have the shoulder tattoos.

I was thinking something ethnic, not whoreish and on a private body area. I just don't want to draw attention. Plus, I'm pretty conservative.

Body piercings scare me too, good thing most of them can stay covered up.
Tongue piercings are another no no, where I work. People still have them though.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:04 AM

527 posts, read 1,598,269 times
Quote:
Would you say tattoo-bearers as a group (not just you individually) are more or less likely than the general population to:
  • Smoke
    Have good credit
    Have a college degree
    Play a musical instrument
    Get a divorce
    Own a home
    Watch Oprah
    Go to church
    Vote
    Take recreational drugs
    Earn a six-figure salary
    Participate in sports
    Have high cholesterol
    Listen to Barry Manilow

I gots me a house and a tattoo. I gots them both my with my insurence money from when I crached my monster truck into the 7-11 doo to a slick spot where someone spilled a slushy in the parkin lot.

I'ze heard Barry Manilow before, I just loves when he does that 'jailhouse rock' song.

I makes 6 figures if you count the decimel places and I plays football on playstation all the time. The top of my head smokes when my dahter keeps bringing fellas home, it makes me spitting mad. I aint never been to the oprah before but I did vote for Sanjaya.

Really, it's all a matter of personal preference. Some people get tattoos and regret them, others do not. Some people like looking at them and some don't. Trying to build a relationship with the above list and tattoos is unrealistic. That list can apply to just as many without tattoos.

You've been watching too much court TV, you need to get out of the house more often

The last think I'd do, tattoed or not, is admit that I'm a Barry Manilow fan

Old 05-07-2007, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markh View Post
I gots me a house and a tattoo. I gots them both my with my insurence money from when I crached my monster truck into the 7-11 doo to a slick spot where someone spilled a slushy in the parkin lot.

I'ze heard Barry Manilow before, I just loves when he does that 'jailhouse rock' song.

I makes 6 figures if you count the decimel places and I plays football on playstation all the time. The top of my head smokes when my dahter keeps bringing fellas home, it makes me spitting mad. I aint never been to the oprah before but I did vote for Sanjaya.

Really, it's all a matter of personal preference. Some people get tattoos and regret them, others do not. Some people like looking at them and some don't. Trying to build a relationship with the above list and tattoos is unrealistic. That list can apply to just as many without tattoos.

You've been watching too much court TV, you need to get out of the house more often

The last think I'd do, tattoed or not, is admit that I'm a Barry Manilow fan
Dont know what you are trying to portray here, but your post sounds pretty prejudiced to me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty