U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 08:11 AM

5,077 posts, read 12,705,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS View Post
going for the lower back? trying to convince my wife to get one there... I like em!
Your wife totally should get one! Thanks for speaking up, sometimes people are really down on tattoos and I think in good taste they are works of art. I have one and would like another but just have not decided what and where. I took about 5 years to think about the one I have now and love it, don't regret it at all and often get compliments on it. And yes, it's on my lower back - I'm an older woman, have a great job and am engaged, I really hate the term "tramp stamp" but realize that there are small minded ignorant people out there who like to generalize and label people. I'm good with me so it's cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeek74 View Post
heheh...Yep, my husband calls that a "tramp stamp" too. It reminds me of Vince Vaughn's character in Wedding Crasher's - "Lower back tattoo...might as well be a bullseye".

Mine is on my hip.
Mine is there, very tasteful design with a sunflower (hard to describe) but it looks like a sun from far away and I always joke with my fiance to "follow the bouncing sun" LOL

Old 05-12-2008, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samohtal View Post
I appreciate your comments. Just for the record ... I don't like tattoos on men, either - but since I'm not attracted to men regardless of their tattoo status, it concerns me much less.

Now, to dig a little deeper - I won't necessarily state that everyone that has tattoos are bad people, but I do think we all need to be prepared to say that our decisions will have an impact on how people perceive us. Tattoos are one decision, as is smoking, makeup, clothes, piercings, hair, car, etc. Obviously people make assumptions about each other for all of those things and obviously there are exceptions to every category. If you looked at the demographics that might apply to any number of "categories", though, they certainly change from what the demographics are for the general population.

Would you say tattoo-bearers as a group (not just you individually) are more or less likely than the general population to:
  • Smoke
    Have good credit
    Have a college degree
    Play a musical instrument
    Get a divorce
    Own a home
    Watch Oprah
    Go to church
    Vote
    Take recreational drugs
    Earn a six-figure salary
    Participate in sports
    Have high cholesterol
    Listen to Barry Manilow
This could go off on an entirely different tangent, which isn't my intention. I've dated women and met others who have tattoos and were great people. All I'm saying is decisions like this and others help other people form opinions about us in lieu of actual knowledge. Once (if) they get to know us better, they can determine if their initial impressions match up with their later impressions. We all make assumptions every day that can be proven correct or incorrect. We couldn't function otherwise.

For instance - I own and drive a motorcycle. You could easily substitute "driving a motorcycle" into the random list I showed above and come up with an equally compelling demographic profile. Does it make it accurate for me individually? Probably not ... but it doesn't make the demographic profile any less real.

Wow. This could really stir up a hornets nest. I'm just trying to stimulate thought about the reality of our world ... not trying to tick anyone off.

Interesting list, here's my take:

(I have a tattoo)
I don't smoke, rarely drink
own a home, not my first either
own a motorcycle but rarely ride, have horses which I ride all the time
am not a religious person so no church here
Am a Mom to older kids (20 & 18)
I vote
earn good money
have my own business
watch Dr. Phil
Don't do drugs
In excellent health
don't listen to Manilow LOL
Am engaged but was married to kids dad, we divorced many years ago

For the record, none of these things in my life dictated where or what type of tattoo. I've always like most tattoos, although don't care for the ones who go overboard and have them up their necks, down their legs, etc.. I prefer some that just peek out or where they can't be seen by the general public. I have mine on my lower back (no tramp here though, sorry LOL) but I like that location, think it's sexy if tastefully done (which mine is) and I honestly thought about the design and location for about 5 years or more. I didn't just show up randomly one day at the tattoo parlor and say "lets go for it". I'm almost 40, so I take my time in making permanent decisions.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
The best place to get a tattoo is ones neck or face. It should not be hidden because if it was anything to be ashamed of then it should not exist. I do not understand why anyone would be so high on tattoos but then do their best to hide them.
I don't agree with this. People don't get them in a hidden place because they are ashamed. They are usually a very personal decision to have one and not meant for the general population. I have one, it's hidden but my fiance can see it, I know it's there but it's really no ones business that I have it, it was personal.

So, for those who do get them on their necks and their faces (which they do) then to me those people are sending another message. They obviously had other ideas behind their decisions.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:55 AM

12,172 posts, read 15,006,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samohtal View Post
I wasn't trying to portray tattoo users that way at all. In fact, I went out of my way to include a diverse category of demographics that no person in their right mind would say "yes" to them all. Clearly there could be someone with a tattoo that hits all the positives and avoids all the negatives - but you're living in a dream world if you think that the overall stereotype is all roses. I've admitted as much in referencing myself as a motorcyclist. I don't get in bar fights or travel in gangs. I don't weave in and out of traffic at 100-mph while popping a wheelie and I don't avoid paying my bills so I can support my Harley payments. Still, the overall perception and overall demographics for motorcyclists are much different for regular society.

Since I'm not a moderator of a web forum and I'm not required to be on my computer all day ... I'm very familiar with the world outside my home.

As I said before, if a person is gung ho on getting a tattoo ... that's their decision. Go nuts. On the other hand, I feel like there are too many examples of people doing it on hopes of being cool or proving something to someone and who will be embarrased and regretful when their future grandchild sees a faded, stretched tribal back tattoo peaking out from beneath their shirt and wonders why their WASP-y "Nana" has an ancient African symbol morphed by back fat and the 45 years its been since that night in Cancun when she was in college. .

I guess if your afraid a one night stand is going to forget your name....

Old 05-12-2008, 12:16 PM

4,739 posts, read 7,399,828 times
I can picture watching some show on late night TV where they want you to call in and identify someone with a barbed wire tatoo on their arm...lol, its like the writers on tv, all out of original ideas.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:34 AM

1,931 posts, read 3,322,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS View Post
going for the lower back? trying to convince my wife to get one there... I like em!
Me too!
Let me know if you succeed...

Old 05-13-2008, 11:51 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,108,208 times
I have one on top of my foot looks really pretty when I wear sandals.
No I dont do drugs have 2 sons of 18 and 24 and also a Grandson.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:51 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,950,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XNYgirl View Post
Supercharged - not looking for a tattoo there, why do you have a preference where I get one? What do you call the tribal bands the guys have? Are they tramp stamps for men?
I call them "wanted to get a tattoo but had no idea what to get" tattoo's.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:44 PM
j1n

1,233 posts, read 4,041,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XNYgirl View Post
Let me know!
When you see folks around with nice work, ask them where they got it. Most people, if they are happy with their work, will be more than happy to crow about their tattooer. Stop in at shops and look through portfolios...see who's work looks clean and solid, and who's style you like. See who you get an attitude from and who you hit it off with. Go from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty