Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 12:22 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,705,121 times

Advertisements

I looked to be in my twenties all through my thirties, to the point that I took it for granted. Then 40 hit and I woke to a new face and body.
It did seem sudden - where did those crow's feet come from!? That wasn't there yesterday! The creping and sagging that has begun to define my eyes...that's a hard one to get used to. But I will.

Part of it was being very thin all of my life, then putting on the pounds for a few years, then dropping again, resuming my former self. I guess I picked a bad time to do that.

50. Man, I can't even imagine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 12:28 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
on 50 and beauty
people do not age at the same rate. some actually get better looking with age, to a point.
there is a strange period about 60 when the image starts to crack. clothes and makeup cant fix everything.
oddly the body can be very fit but the strain of disppointment and battles show so much on the face. the smile of youthful mirth is replaced
with things less agreeable. for me most of my aging took place 53 to 58,a difficult period for me. lost weight and got fit but it did not change signs of aging in my face.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 09-28-2009 at 01:09 PM..

Old 09-28-2009, 02:51 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,158,197 times
I forgot to post the link to the MSNBC Ambush Makeovers. The before and after results are really quite amazing!

Makeover! Woman gets new look after 11 years - Ambush Makeovers

Old 09-28-2009, 03:00 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,158,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
on 50 and beauty
people do not age at the same rate. some actually get better looking with age, to a point.
there is a strange period about 60 when the image starts to crack. clothes and makeup cant fix everything.
oddly the body can be very fit but the strain of disppointment and battles show so much on the face. the smile of youthful mirth is replaced
with things less agreeable.
for me most of my aging took place 53 to 58,a difficult period for me. lost weight and got fit but it did not change signs of aging in my face.
Wow. What a depressing post! Of course, at some point we all will look elderly, however even the elderly are beautiful in their own way. And the point is not to compete with the young women in their teens and 20's. It's all about being comfortable the body you have. And I feel that those older people that have a happy air about them, and who aren't lamenting the passing of their youthful looks... are the ones that age most beautifully. No one likes to be with someone that obsesses over their looks, even if they are young and beautiful. And by the same token, no one enjoys being with someone that is mourning their youthful beauty either. And maybe, for some of you, it's time to remove all the mirrors in your house. So what if you have wrinkles on your face? On men, it's considered character lines or laugh lines. Even scars on men's bodies are considered cool and a sign of a life well lived. Why must a woman's face and body expected to be perfectly unblemished after a life well enjoyed and lived?

I let all my gray hairs show and people still mistake me for being 20 years younger. I also know that I look youngest when I am happy and laughing. So I make sure to have several good laughs a day!

And anyone with a sincere smile, good laugh and sense of humour is a delight to spend time with. Anxious, sad and depressed people are a turnoff.

It's one thing to mourn the passing of a dear human being. And pathetic to mourn the loss of one's youthful beauty. And I have no interest in offering sympathies to anyone mourning the latter.

Carpe diem ladies!

Old 09-28-2009, 03:00 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,899,855 times
Men sag. Boy do they sag. However, nowadays, we women, and guys can take care of the little things that bother us as they come up. (or um fail to come up). Laser, chemical peels, quick lift for sagging jawlines. Some of us will benefit from a nip and tuck. Aging is slow, and sure, but, with proper lifestyles, we can age gracefully. Flabby upper arms. Oh I hate that, and I am skinny. No amount of exercise can take it away, but surgeons can tighten it up. Loose skin can be tightened.

Wanting to look good isn't vanity, it's a practical move ! When we feel good about how we look, and like what we see in the mirror, we function better. A nip and tuck can take away 10 or more years of sorrow from a face. I really don't blame people for making adjustments to the effects of time, and gravity.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:28 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,549,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
^^ Also don't believe everything you see in your mirror. Remember what happens when anorexics look in their mirror, they actually think that they are fat!!! So never stare into your mirror too long as if you are searching for flaws you will only find them, and also consider that the lighting around your mirror might be being uncomplimentary to your skin tones and at the wrong height accentuating your body harshly.
Yeah.... these are my personal rules...

I don't stand too close.
I never use the magnifying kind...
I never look DOWN. Look across to see the correct dimensions/angles.
Posture is EVERYTHING.

I wonder if those face exercises really work.

After about 42 everything started to be more of a chore. Now at 49 my metabolism is definitely the enemy...

Good thread!

Kate

Old 09-28-2009, 03:36 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,265,341 times
I would say I saw very little signs of aging till I was about 46. (I am now 54) I think I showed "aging" more from the ages of 46-49 than from 50-54.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:58 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,588,779 times
I am not yet 40 but I do think diet and what you put IN your body is more important, I have seen 30 year olds who smoke and look 60, as well as too much sun without sunscreen.

My dermatologist told me no creams applied outide skin work,its all a matter of nutrition,and genetics.

I agree with women here who aren't worried about a number, saw Sheryl Crowe (47)on a talk show and she looks great after battling breast cancer, she has had no plastic surgery.It strikes me the same question isn't asked about men.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:21 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,271,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I forgot to post the link to the MSNBC Ambush Makeovers. The before and after results are really quite amazing!

Makeover! Woman gets new look after 11 years - Ambush Makeovers
Ok,,some look ok after,but most dont look that great to me. The one that cracked me up was Norma,who is "77 yrs old and wants to look 21" She looked fine before,and the after.....oh brother. I liked her lovely white hair!
The colored looked so fake....poor lady. Most of the befores are purposely
bad pics.

Greenchili

Old 09-29-2009, 12:00 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
It strikes me the same question isn't asked about men.
heh--good point
For the same reason so few look askance at an insecure, shallow guy who trades in his 50 year old wife for a "newer" model.

Maybe it's just me (I did come of age in the 70's) but the ambush makeovers did not wow me. It just looks like they are wearing shorter hair and more makeup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty