Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 10:48 AM

68 posts, read 187,659 times

Advertisements

Have taken the acrylic off my nails and they are now healthy and growing. I like to wear polish but hate it chipping off. Does anyone know of a good product to keep nail polish on for more than a couple of days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 02:18 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,052,315 times
I'm a nail polish junkie. I have tried everything under the sun. Trust me when I tell you that. I have natural nails, too, and I despise when my nail polish chips the next day..especially if I wear a dark color. This is the ONLY thing I use now. It doubles as a base coat and a top coat. It is definitely chip resistant. I can go one whole week without touching my nails up, when I use this. The only downfall is that it takes FOREVER for your nails to dry with this on. At least 3 whole hours. But to me, its worth it, because your nail color will NOT chip, especially if you are anal about chipped nail polish like I am. So make sure you don't have anything planned when you paint your nails when using this product.

Sally Hansen | Double Duty Strengthening Base & Top Coat (http://www.sallyhansen.com/product.cfm?product=51 - broken link)

Old 10-07-2009, 07:11 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,772,702 times
I wonder if it's something in some peoples nails that causes chipping? I've had long nails since Jr. High - I use a base case, polish and then maybe half the time a top coat. I never have chipping - if it's been on while, I get a little wear on the edges of the tips but that's it. I usually have to repolish because they've grown out (manicure easily lasts me a week/week and 1/2) and I work, do housework, etc.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:23 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,256,290 times
My nails are thinner and the flexing makes them chip. I also find total prep helps:

Buff out ridges
Wash hands with Dawn & clean with polish remover to get rid of all oils
Chanel - color
Topcoat - Seche Vite

Old 10-08-2009, 03:34 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,045,388 times
OPI Nail Envy Amazon.com: OPI Original Nail Envy 0.5 oz Natural Nail Strengther: Health & Personal Care

Never in my life have I ever had nice nails until I started using that stuff! Use it as the package tells you to and you'll be happy!

I use it as a top coat, too... even on my toes to make my polish last longer. It's good stuff.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:37 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,045,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
... I usually have to repolish because they've grown out (manicure easily lasts me a week/week and 1/2) and I work, do housework, etc.
That's prolly it, too... I think it's important to completely remove your old polish, file, do the cuticle thing, etc. and just really give yourself a total redo about once a week to keep them nice. I've gotten into a habit of giving myself a home mani/pedi every Sunday night while my hubby and I watch our Netflix movie. The past few weeks he's let me give him one, too! His feet are so smooth now, so nice!

Old 10-09-2009, 06:29 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,678,231 times
Lots of good tips here & I am listing more of the same but here's my routine.

I always have my nails painted & usually can go over a week without a chip (even with house cleaning). First I would recommend to not use a super cheap polish. Before you paint your nails clean them with a nail polish remover to remove the surface oils which sometimes keeps polish from adhearing well. Also be sure to push back & clean the cuticle line. Keep nails short because if they are longer you tend to knock the nails on things & hence, chip the polish. I find if I file my nails slightly shorter than my fingertip, I get almost no tip wear at all too. 2 coats of polish & then a good top coat. I like SecheVite & Solar Oil fast dry topcoats. Then every other day, reapply the top coat to smooth out nicks & dullness. Sounds like alot but it really isn't. Right now, I'm at 10 days with the same polish & I don't have a chip. I get about 2 weeks on my toes. I like to wear darker, fun colors so chips are a no no! If you are partial to pale pinks, etc.. you can get away with more.

Some of the best polishes I've used (& I have 50 plus bottles)-
The best drugstore brand- Sally Hansen Salon
My other 2 "pricey" favorites- Rescue beauty (my absolute favorite! This is my 10 day polish & the colors are astounding), & Chanel. But since Chanel is now $23 a bottle, I'd rather splurge with Rescue which is a bit cheaper. Plus Rescue is formulated without all the chemicals as in most nail polishes.

Old 11-07-2009, 12:31 AM

74 posts, read 217,440 times
Bond-Aid by OPI- It will last a week. Oh and you cant use cheap nail polish or it will just chip of it two seconds

Old 11-07-2009, 07:42 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,215,272 times
I also think that people who routinely use rubber gloves when cleaning have less chipping. I can't seem to get into the habit but the couple of times I did it seemed to help.
Plus some people seem to be better at training themselves to unconsciously use their hands and fingers in ways that keep down chipping. I'm pretty tough on mine, constantly knocking them into things.
Good advice and brand recommendations here so far. My only add was I bought some wet and wild for my toes in a frosted turquoise blue that I knew I wouldn't use much of so bought cheap. Was surprised by how long it lasted. And the blue toes made me so happy! (it was a little strange even to me) Have no idea how long it would last on fingers.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:47 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,207,686 times
I have very strong nails and my shop uses OPI. My pedis have never chipped in three years of going to this shop. They do bottom coat, two coats of polish and top coat. But my mani never lasts a week, so I just let my finger nails go bare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty