Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 02:20 PM

305 posts, read 1,116,246 times

Advertisements

So I'm trying to decide between two eyeglass frames that are similar in shape and size. One is by A|X (Armani Exchange). The other is by Tag Heuer, costs twice as much, and while similar to the A|X has some cool details that would indicate it's a more exclusive frame.

I'm curious as to thoughts on this. Does anyone notice or care about your frames, assuming they suit your face? Is the extra style worth the extra cost? I'm a married 36-y.o. guy with kids, and while I like to dress fashionably it's not like I'm frequenting the hipster bars any more or out looking to impress women. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 02:29 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,341,957 times
I would not spend the money on high-end frames. My prescription if I didn't have insurance would cost about $700; I got almost the identical ones from Walmart, same prescription, for $200. Since my prescription changes every year and I like to have more than one pair (my plan covers one free pair), it would cost a fortune for not just regular glasses but also sunglasses. No one will probably be close enough to tell except your wife, who will probably be glad to save the money. Use the money saved to do something with the family. You won't regret it.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:51 PM

305 posts, read 1,116,246 times
Thanks for the thoughts, SXM. My situation is a little different. I will probably have the glasses for three years, and they'll be my only pair. And while we're not exactly where we were a year ago financially, my wife and I are a dual-professional/executive household so a couple hundred dollars, while not insignificant, is worth it to me if it truly makes a difference.

Also, I typically don't like brand logos, so it bugs me that so many eyeglass manufacturers put their names on the earpieces. Still, that's the way it is, so I have to wonder if the A|X brand is a mismatch for me (someone called it a "guido" brand on this forum, and I understand the reference). Again, though, I ask: does that matter???

Old 10-17-2009, 07:50 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,865,038 times
It depends on your use. If you wear your glasses all the time (i.e. during the day) AND you're in an executive type of position, you might consider the higher quality pair. After all not only will you use them every day, but you'll have other execs looking at you square in the face all the time. Absolutely will they notice just like the fit of your suit. Plus Steve McQueen wore Tag Heuer (if just the watch)

If it's just sometimes in the day and otherwise before bed, just buy the cheaper ones. Mine were $400 and I thought that was a lot (but I just wear them around the house). Kliik frames, if you're wondering

Old 10-18-2009, 01:30 AM

10,212 posts, read 17,864,610 times
Armani isn't exactly cheap! I do think brand name frames have better styles. Although the cheap generic brands had similar styles, I got Armani frames because they just looked better. But I do draw the line at some point - frames twice as much as my Armani's? Not sure that's worth it.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:10 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,645,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopyJ View Post
So I'm trying to decide between two eyeglass frames that are similar in shape and size. One is by A|X (Armani Exchange). The other is by Tag Heuer, costs twice as much, and while similar to the A|X has some cool details that would indicate it's a more exclusive frame.

I'm curious as to thoughts on this. Does anyone notice or care about your frames, assuming they suit your face? Is the extra style worth the extra cost? I'm a married 36-y.o. guy with kids, and while I like to dress fashionably it's not like I'm frequenting the hipster bars any more or out looking to impress women. Thanks.
The way I see it, paying more money doesn't keep them from being lost or broken...so I wouldn't do it myself.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:17 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,370,159 times
I'll a full believer in "you get what you pay for." Cheaper price, you might be looking @ cheaper quality. I've had my current pair of shades for 3 years already and i spent $314 on them. But they still look great and I always get compliments on them.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:19 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,370,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
I would not spend the money on high-end frames. My prescription if I didn't have insurance would cost about $700; I got almost the identical ones from Walmart, same prescription, for $200. Since my prescription changes every year and I like to have more than one pair (my plan covers one free pair), it would cost a fortune for not just regular glasses but also sunglasses. No one will probably be close enough to tell except your wife, who will probably be glad to save the money. Use the money saved to do something with the family. You won't regret it.
Or do something with your family, and wear really cool expensive awesome-looking glasses!

Old 10-19-2009, 11:17 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,136,591 times
To me it's like this:

I've gone both routes; go with the ones that fit your face & make you happiest; yes, sometimes you do get what you pay for.

Tile on the diagonal, grohe faucets & 4Runners will get you farther in the long run.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:07 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,254,763 times
I would go with whatever is more comfy on the face too. Who cares who says what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty