Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 06:51 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,143 times

Advertisements

Fabumom, I'm not a doctor but I think it probably is peri menopause. My skin was fine post Accutane till my late 20s then it got really bad. I read a theory in Dr. Uzzi Reiss' books that short women need more estrogen; the estrogen is what closes off the bone structure; the slightest dip can cause problems. I think that is what happened to me. My ovaries got tired and started burning out, my periods went wild (but with little bleeding due to being peri, and this was at age 32) and my skin started breaking out constantly. Before the pill I had acne on my chin and sides of my face that did not go away irregardless of anything. I had my hormones tested earlier this year and my estrogen is like 123, or 132, lower than what I need to be well. Optimal for me would be 175 or even 200. I am not breaking out with that amount but I do need to be "on something". When I went off the pill earlier in the year my face did not break out but my chest did. I could not stay off pill because I don't function well without it & my periods are a total nightmare. My hair has fallen out (it was better on Orthocyclen); really makes me look my age. I'm pro BHRT and HRT.
Maybe read the Elizabeth Vliet books, Screaming to Be Heard and It's My Ovaries Stupid. The latter book is what really opened my eyes.

A question to ask yourself also is whether you think you can stay on Amoxicillan indefinitely. Antibiotics are hard on the immune system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 11:26 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,847 times
I'm in my mid-20s, on Ortho Tri-Cyclen, and I still break out (though not severely). Fun times.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:32 PM

562 posts, read 2,403,439 times
All I can say is that, I am a high estrogen gal,short ring finger,fertile as a cow, regular periods every 3 weeks , overly emotional if I take any estrogen increasing therapies-the BC pill. And my acne was as bad at 28 as it now is. Obviously there is some issue and peri-menopause will change my estrogen. So I can assume that as my estrogen drops there will be new reasons for acne!

Pink squid, I really wish I had tried anti-biotics in my 20's, but if you get pregnant STOP as it will ruin your baby's teeth. I never took Accutane because of the impact on future children( I had 2 in my 30's). That I do not regret. There is a history of trouble assimilating lipids into the body in my family, and my good HDL is low that may be it. But I am certain that estrogen added will make me a wreck. I had a hormone releasing IUD removed for this reason.

I really do appreciate the personal experience, though.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:12 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
I did not have acne until I hit my 30s. Then my face exploded. I use 3 medications, 2 oral and 1 topical, to keep it under control. However I still get the occasional zit. If I stop taking any of the pills, my face explodes again. My dermatologist says that eventually my oily skin will be an asset as I will not develop wrinkles as fast as other women, but it is small consolation to me right now.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:21 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
I got acne starting when I was 13 years old. It got progressively worse, until I literally had to sleep on my back instead of my side so my face would not be on the pillow. I am now 34 years old and still have it. I really suggest taking 4,000 mg of fish oil daily. I started that about 3 months ago, and it has helped a lot. I still have acne, but not nearly as bad.

Acne.org - Fish Oil Reviews

Follow the Fish Oil Acne Diet and Say Goodbye to Acne.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabumom07 View Post
Pink squid, I really wish I had tried anti-biotics in my 20's, but if you get pregnant STOP as it will ruin your baby's teeth. I never took Accutane because of the impact on future children( I had 2 in my 30's). That I do not regret. There is a history of trouble assimilating lipids into the body in my family, and my good HDL is low that may be it. But I am certain that estrogen added will make me a wreck. I had a hormone releasing IUD removed for this reason.
I think you might be getting tetracycline (acne antibiotic) and Ortho Tri-Cyclen (birth control, what I'm on) confused. WHY they are named so similarly, I don't know! Anyhow, I've heard the same thing about certain antibiotics taken during pregnancy can interfere with calcium retention in the teeth/bones of the baby.

Fortunately, I've had nothing but a positive experience with the pill. Of course, I've always had very irregular cycles and, although I've yet to try to get pregnant, I have a feeling I might not be the most fertile woman in the world. Funny how it effects people so differently...

Old 10-25-2009, 11:01 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
I still get pimples on my face. I'm male.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:09 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I still get pimples on my face. I'm male.
I am a male too. Why are people talking about birth control pills regarding acne?

Old 10-26-2009, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I am a male too. Why are people talking about birth control pills regarding acne?
Because, in women, many times birth control pills can help ease or even stop acne. Sometimes the pills are even prescribed for this purpose.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:48 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,886,160 times
Okay, I had no idea what kind of ACNE we were talking about here. It didn't specifically say what kind.

But when I did have acne, it did get bigger when I scratched it and such. Sometimes mine was hormonal also, when I was 11 years old is when it started. When I started my period and such at that time, my body was just like out of whack and such. And my skin started breaking out around my chin area.

Heck, if it makes it better for most of you, I got a pimple right now on my chin at this moment. I just discovered it this morning.

No, I've stopped using BC pill back in the mid 90's, it was causing me to bloat too much and such. It just made things worse for my body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty