U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2009, 10:46 AM

562 posts, read 2,087,549 times

Advertisements

I ask because I developed cystic acne in my 20's when I went off my BC pills to have babies, thus showing me that my acne was hormonal, and I still have this acne at age 41.

I began taking ammoxillin daily about 5 years ago, and that is the only thing that cleared my skin. Not pro-active or retin-a, or cleansing diets or more water, or any other regimens.

I just greatly reduced my ammoxillin for a really busy week, as it makes me a bit more tired, and I am breaking out again. I break out on my neck, which looks strange, as well as my lower jaw and temples. Even had my hormones tested and I have low testosterone, not high.

I am thankful that my skin is smooth looking due to my (oilier) skin type, but I am really ready to move out of this phase and have the skin of a grown woman. If you had acne, when was it finally over and done with?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 11:10 AM

24,469 posts, read 28,737,691 times
when it goes away, I'll let you know! I'm 36, and mine came back when I went off the pill.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:37 PM

2,551 posts, read 3,762,465 times
I had acne real bad when I was in junior/middle school (6th through 8th grade). And some when I was a Freshman in high school, but I had some poor hygiene habits then. I got it mostly around my chin area and the corners of my mouth mostly. Hardly anywhere else.

When I was a Sophomore in high school, I discovered Noxzema and used it 2 times a day. It really cleared it up really good! Been using it ever since (along with moisturizer after). It really helped with it.

But these days I get it rarely (around my chin area), but they don't last long now. Because my better hygiene habits.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:32 PM

24,469 posts, read 28,737,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinaJo76 View Post
I had acne real bad when I was in junior/middle school (6th through 8th grade). And some when I was a Freshman in high school, but I had some poor hygiene habits then. I got it mostly around my chin area and the corners of my mouth mostly. Hardly anywhere else.

When I was a Sophomore in high school, I discovered Noxzema and used it 2 times a day. It really cleared it up really good! Been using it ever since (along with moisturizer after). It really helped with it.

But these days I get it rarely (around my chin area), but they don't last long now. Because my better hygiene habits.
wow. I haven't found a product that works. Being on BC is the only thing that ever cleared my face up.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:55 PM

Linda Jo probably has a different type of acne, the smaller bumpy type. that type responds really well to skin care and topical medication. Even anti-fungal treatments! Mine is the deep cystic kind that starts down deep. It was not really an issue when I was in my teens.

I have really good skin care habits, and it not from make-up.I use mineral make up. It goes on my neck, where I never wear make up.

Its very annoying, but I have to use ammoxcillin, but before that the BC pill helped alot.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:00 PM

What really worked was getting pregnant- best skin of my life! Another side effect of going off the Pill!

But I'm all done now, so its amoxcillin.

By the way, Linda Jo has a different type of acne, and that type responds really well to hygeine and pro-active. Its more of a surface issue, where mine and rkb have hormonal acne.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:02 PM

2,294 posts, read 5,463,394 times
I have (or had) severly oily skin and acne which cleared up after two courses of Accutane in my late teens. My skin was fine till I turned 28 and then my acne returned and actually much worse than anything I dealt with in my teens, much oilier with blackheads. I went on Orthocyclen, 6 years ago at age 33 and have been fine since. Also have had my hormones tested and also have low testosterone. I read a couple of books by Elizabeth Vliet who says that it is the skin's sensitivity to testosterone, not the testosterone itself. My testosterone is some rock bottom number like 20 something, I don't have muscle tone, and now, off the pill I don't have much acne on my face, although when I went off it briefly last year I got big honkers on my chest that were all puss filled and bad. I was only off the pill a few months till I went back on it because I need the extra estrogen to be able to function. If you don't want to do the pill I would recommend at least considering some kind of bioidentical hormone therapy. And not that OTC progsterone stuff, that is not going to help you that much. You have a perimenopausal hormonal imbalance. I have one too though it doesn't cause acne on my face anymore. I don't really know that, I was not off the pill that long. I might have started breaking out again.
I don't think I would have ever really "grown out of" acne. I think I had polycystic ovaries which would have gotten worse. My sister has PCOS though no acne and recently had an ovary removed. Acne is hormonally caused, and only hormonally based medicine will clear it up. Before going on the pill I tried ProActiv and even did a program in a book that called for icing the face down once a day.
I recommend you explore your options, you can't really stay on Amoxocillan the rest of your life. Even if your acne clears up after age 50 you might lose your ovaries or have a hysterectomy if something is really wrong. Just a thought.
HER Place Women's Health - Individualized Hormone Replacement Therapy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabumom07 View Post
I ask because I developed cystic acne in my 20's when I went off my BC pills to have babies, thus showing me that my acne was hormonal, and I still have this acne at age 41.

I began taking ammoxillin daily about 5 years ago, and that is the only thing that cleared my skin. Not pro-active or retin-a, or cleansing diets or more water, or any other regimens.

I just greatly reduced my ammoxillin for a really busy week, as it makes me a bit more tired, and I am breaking out again. I break out on my neck, which looks strange, as well as my lower jaw and temples. Even had my hormones tested and I have low testosterone, not high.

I am thankful that my skin is smooth looking due to my (oilier) skin type, but I am really ready to move out of this phase and have the skin of a grown woman. If you had acne, when was it finally over and done with?

Old 10-23-2009, 06:00 PM

Wow, thanks for all that research Catrinac. Very interesting that its the skins sensitivity to testosterone. I am not polycystic, though I have a friend who is so I am familiar with the symtoms. Yes, I get checked every year for all that stuff, AS SHOULD EVERY WOMAN!!!.My best friend(polycystic) just caught early stage 4 and got a hysterectomy. Her sisters have not been in YEARS to an OB but hopefully they now will. Her check-up saved her life in all likelyhood.

I have been like this since my mid 20's so not sure its peri-menopause. I do have some of those symptoms but am still very regular, so maybe it will get worse? Uhgg!

Extra girl hormones make me too emotional, so I can't take the pill, and I had a tubal so no need to.
Just a question, what would be the connection between having acne and getting a hysterectomy?Would that be if one is polycystic?

Old 10-23-2009, 06:03 PM

3,225 posts, read 6,124,373 times
I developed cystic acne in my mid-20's as well. Never had issues before that. I've been on antibiotics since. I did go off them one time and the acne returned almost immediately, so back on the pills for me. Although I do worry about the long-term consequences of being on antibiotic treatment, right now my skin is clear and I'm afraid to go off the pills.

Old 10-24-2009, 06:40 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,361,269 times
I never had any severe or cystic acne, and only had mild flareups as a teen. In my thirties, I still get a pimple or two of hormonal acne in the week before my period...it's the most clockwork way to tell when my period's going to hit. But it's pretty minor, usually just a zit or two on the chin or jawline. Birth control doesn't seem to make a big difference either way...still get a few around my period, whether I'm on hormonal BC or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty