Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 09:10 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineCountry View Post
Allow me to address this, seeing as I am a detective and the very thing I do is work with rape/sexual assault victims.

How a woman is dressed is the least thing that has to do with rape and sexual assaults. A lot of it is a power thing, the ability to control your victim. For some it's pysch issues involving whatever screwed up issues they have going on in their head concerning sex/women, whatever. And a lot of these sickos can commit these crimes based on opportunity.

A couple serious rapes that occurred over the summer, the victims were NOT dressed provocatively at all. Heck, they weren't even all that attractive, if you really want to know. You just dont understand that rape is about so much more than how someone is dressed. Trust me.
Thank you so much for saying that. I started to find the poster and the post so I could say almost exactly the same thing. The last rape I heard on the news was a 62 year old woman whose house was broken into. The problem was not the woman or what she was wearing, but the dirtbag that did the act.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 09:13 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,897,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 115db View Post
Skimpy, tight clothes, short tight skirts, and we want to know why theres so much rape and sexual attacks? Hmmmm.
Women get raped wearing burkhas, hijabs, hessian sacks, bathers, skirts, pants, overalls etc, etc, etc.

Women get raped. PERIOD. END OF SENTENCE. It has absolutely nothing to do with what they're wearing OR where they are OR what they did. I hardly think it has ANYTHING to do with the rapists sudden interest in fashion.

Women who are raped are raped because someone NEEDED to exert power and control over them. There is so much RAPE and SEXUAL ATTACKS these days because some people are incapable of controlling their urges. SOME of those people have raped little old ladies in nursing homes in their nightgowns.

Stepping aside from this ludicrous and ill informed assumption regarding the correlation between clothing and rape and back to the subject matter at hand...

I don't care how women dress these days as long as they're comfortable, happy and confident in themselves. I'm grateful I live in a country where I can wear whatever the hell I like and believe me I will wear exactly what I want to wear when I want to wear it and I'm not going to be overly worried about other people's opinions of my choice OR ME because of that. I certainly don't assume that someone who chooses to show more flesh than I is a dead cert in the bedroom.

Last edited by moonshadow; 11-03-2009 at 10:18 PM..

Old 11-03-2009, 10:13 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,593,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
Look scaredy cat, as much as you want to make me out to be some psycho, I simply asked this....."Just like the title says, I'd like to know some of your thoughts and opinions on how women dress these days.".

As someone who is very common sense and practical, and someone who takes a lot of pride in my appearance and what it projects, and being someone who is looking forward to being a parent, I'm a bit shocked at how women of ANY age dress today. Get that? I work with the public. I often work with families. I am often left in disbelief at how younger women dress, particularly in the presence of their parents. Get that?

I think you must be a room mate of Pitt Transplant.
No as I've already made clear... I don't get it or you. I do have good intuition though. I don't see how my finding it odd you ask a fashion forum for opines on young womans provacative dress makes me a scaredy cat. I brought up the mall rapist and his sick obsessions and practices to demonstrate how one persons interest in young girls dress had a very criminal intent.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Women get raped wearing burkhas, hijabs, hessian sacks, bathers, skirts, pants, overalls etc, etc, etc.

Women get raped. PERIOD. END OF SENTENCE. It has absolutely nothing to do with what they're wearing OR where they are OR what they did. I hardly think it has ANYTHING to do with the rapists sudden interest in fashion.

Women who are raped are raped because someone NEEDED to exert power and control over them. There is so much RAPE and SEXUAL ATTACKS these days because some people are incapable of controlling their urges. SOME of those people have raped little old ladies in nursing homes in their nightgowns.

Stepping aside from this ludicrous and ill informed assumption regarding the correlation between clothing and rape and back to the subject matter at hand...

I don't care how women dress these days as long as they're comfortable, happy and confident in themselves. I'm grateful I live in a country where I can wear what whatever the hell I like and believe me I will wear exactly what I want to wear when I want to wear it and I'm not going to be overly worried about other people's opinions of my choice OR ME because of that. I certainly don't assume that someone who chooses to show more flesh than I is a dead cert in the bedroom.
Oh it can have something to do with what they're wearing. Some of these perps have fixations and weird fetishes. The rapist in my city would hold his camera right under unsuspecting victims short clothing. He had a whole ritual going. Rape is about power and it is never the victims fault that a deviant acts upon his or her fantasies.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
Oh it can have something to do with what they're wearing. Some of these perps have fixations and weird fetishes. The rapist in my city would hold his camera right under unsuspecting victims short clothing. He had a whole ritual going. Rape is about power and it is never the victims fault that a deviant acts upon his or her fantasies.
The point being that if a person is so inclined to rape or sexually assault they'll do it regardless because it's their issue. Women should not be having to get up each morning and run through a check list of what to or what not to wear to try to avert that otherwise they'd never leave the house. The responsibility for such action lies with the perpertrator and not the victim.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
The point being that if a person is so inclined to rape or sexually assault they'll do it regardless because it's their issue. Women should not be having to get up each morning and run through a check list of what to or what not to wear to try to avert that otherwise they'd never leave the house. The responsibility for such action lies with the perpertrator and not the victim.
I never said they should.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:48 PM

Quote:
I never said they should.
No you didn't but I tire of the idea that women need to check and double check everything they wear every time they go out of the house on the off chance they might come across someone with a weird fetish who acts upon it. Placing the emphasis on what the woman was wearing is about as useful in these situations as focusing on other incidentals like the tools of the trade so to speak. Should women have to consider illegal acts of a sexually violent nature when they're dressing any more than should cell phone suppliers be held accountable for the possibility their customers might be a perpertrator using their product for illegal matters?

These are not thoughts specifically directed at you and more my thoughts on the ludicrous dichotomy that exists with regard what women wear/do/be and rape.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:03 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,700,155 times
Quote:
No as I've already made clear... I don't get it or you.
I'm asking as a man who is shocked how some women, not just young women, dress, period. Are you able to understand that?

I'm asking as a man who is old enough to have a young daughter, who would most certainly not let his daughter dress the way I see some young women dress, and was looking to see what other adults my age felt.
Are you able to understand that?

I think the problem is, most men would not ask questions like this, but may join in on a conversation about it if presented. I can see if I was asking weird questions pertaining to articles of clothing or something strange like that, but in reality, all I'm doing is commenting on something I notice in every day life, just like I see many other lifestyle changes in the 21st century.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:50 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
This is a problem I have with the way some girls and women are dressing these days:

Girls from 12 to 18 wearing things that make them look like they are.. easy. Very low cut jeans, skirts that end at the bottom of their butts... cleavage showing... those kinds of things.

I could not imagine letting my daughter out of the house looking like that.

Then you ask the question, do her parents know she is dressing like that?

Of course they do, as they are walking along side her.

I think the clothing style these days has become outrageous.

Maybe you men like this, but here is another thing I cannot fathom:

Going into the bank only to have the tellers boobs staring at me.

NO! I am at a place of business, not a strip club! I do not want to see your boobs!!!!

Am I going to put more money into your banking system because I can see them? No, I am going to walk out disgusted.

Maybe people think these clothes are stylish, I do not respect any parent that would buy things like this for their child, or allow them to wear it.

I certainly do not respect the women walking around with their boobs and butt hanging out either.

Sorry. Maybe I just think like my Grandma.

I am a thirty five year old woman, btw. I do have standards, and these things do not fall within them.

I also saw a post about having big boobs and anything you wear you would be considered a *****. I do not think this is the truth. You cannot help your breast size, you can, however, cover them appropriately.

I do have one shirt that is a bit tight and may show a little bit of cleavage if I am positioned the right way and I can hardly handle being in public with it. Does it look good? I am so sure it does! But, who does it look good to?

Old 11-04-2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
I'm asking as a man who is shocked how some women, not just young women, dress, period. Are you able to understand that?

I'm asking as a man who is old enough to have a young daughter, who would most certainly not let his daughter dress the way I see some young women dress, and was looking to see what other adults my age felt.
Are you able to understand that?

I think the problem is, most men would not ask questions like this, but may join in on a conversation about it if presented. I can see if I was asking weird questions pertaining to articles of clothing or something strange like that, but in reality, all I'm doing is commenting on something I notice in every day life, just like I see many other lifestyle changes in the 21st century.
>>In your original post you posed the question for the ages of young teens to early 20's. Do you remember or understand what you type?? This is not rocket science. Common sense and the brain god gave us goes a long way. I don't know why a married 39 year old would need to discuss it with a fashion forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty