Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 10:20 AM

291 posts, read 1,074,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
petite also means thin though...short and thin? Someone who is short but overweight would not be considered petite.
That's not true at all. Petite (in the true sizing sense) refers ONLY to height. There are many lines that offer "petite plus" sizes for women 5'4" and under who are, well, plus size. In common usage, you're right, people use it to refer to someone slender, but it's used differently in the fashion world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 10:21 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,215,832 times
I am going by clothing terminology. It just means under 5'5'' by that. It has nothing to do with weight.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:25 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,401,981 times
No not only short and thin...it also has to do with frame and build. Otherwise, there would be no larger sizes in "petite"....You CAN be petite in frame but overweight...I am short and sometimes thin (and sometimes not LOL) but I can never wear a petite PANT or SHIRT. I can (and do) wear a petite skirt though. I am long too long waisted and broad shouldered for petite tops and petite pants have a lower rise to them. I can go to buy jeans and try on an "average" length and they are WAY too long for me....some manufacturers replace "short" with "petite" so I try those on....just don't fit.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:22 AM

439 posts, read 1,219,451 times
I agree that a lot of sizing is crazy. I am not short enough for petite sizes but I am too short for regular length pants, so I need to get the short length. A lot of stores think a short size 12 is the same thing as a petite size 12 - no, it's not! Petite 12 are too little in the hips/waist for me. Going up a size doesn't fix the problem. I have shorter legs but I'm not petite. If you hem the legs of a regular length pant and they are boot cut, they look really bad at the knee!

I am a petite 12 in cardigans and sweaters but a regular 12 in shirts, tees, and blouses. My tailor sees me a lot And petite has nothing to do with thin, like others have said! There is no physical law against being short and fat!

Old 11-10-2009, 10:28 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,615,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
I would love to see the reactions on some women's faces if they ever knew what size they *really* are..... and, trust me girlies, you're NOT a "0" or even a 1 or 3..... LOL!
I say the SAME things all the time; the bad part is, no I am not a 0, 1 or even 3; in "traditional" sizing (40's and 50's) I am a mix of 4-6 (waist/hips) and about a 16-17 (bust), lol. So I am currently stuck in XS or XXS (depending on the brand), which is one reason why I wear yoga pants and tank tops so darn much.

I'm NOT spending a ton of money on clothing, only to have to spend about half the cost of the garment on tailoring to have it fit me properly.

Which is why my wonderful sweet as pie grandmother in law (she is SO a modern day Kathrine Hepburn BTW!!!) is giving me her sewing machine. Apparently she had similar problems at my age, and said to hell with designers and off the rack clothes, and started making her own clothing that fit her body, and stopped trying to fit her body into the off the rack mess, lol.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:39 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,615,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
Thats a pretty rude and inappropriate post! By the way, 5'3" and 130 lbs is not thin at all....
Hang on a sec, I am about that exact height/weight; and I am NOT fat, I am fairly well muscled, and have good tone and would be considered athletic thin. I hardly consider myself (nor anyone that knows me personally) "not thin", especially since I have around 15% body fat.

Muscle is about 20% more dense than fat; so a woman can very easily be those measurements and be thin thanks.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:48 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,898,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
Hang on a sec, I am about that exact height/weight; and I am NOT fat, I am fairly well muscled, and have good tone and would be considered athletic thin. I hardly consider myself (nor anyone that knows me personally) "not thin", especially since I have around 15% body fat.

Muscle is about 20% more dense than fat; so a woman can very easily be those measurements and be thin thanks.
In all fairness, I think you should have included her entire post and not just a tiny bit of it.

"Thats a pretty rude and inappropriate post! By the way, 5'3" and 130 lbs is not thin at all, its probably average or above average. I am 5'3" and 113lbs and am not too thin at all. AND there is nothing vain about being healthy!"

Its clear that she wasnt saying that that person was fat. Try not to be so sensitive about it. She said it was about average so dont go and try to make people look bad by taking their posts out of context and NOT posting the whole thing. I pretty much agree with what she said. My wife who is 5' 2" and 125lbs agrees as well. She (the wife) thinks of herself as average even though she's put on a few pounds from her normal weight after having a baby. Still, as a petite curvy woman, she still wears mostly XS, S and Petite sized clothes.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:53 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,189,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
In all fairness, I think you should have included her entire post and not just a tiny bit of it.

"Thats a pretty rude and inappropriate post! By the way, 5'3" and 130 lbs is not thin at all, its probably average or above average. I am 5'3" and 113lbs and am not too thin at all. AND there is nothing vain about being healthy!"

Its clear that she wasnt saying that that person was fat. Try not to be so sensitive about it. She said it was about average so dont go and try to make people look bad by taking their posts out of context and NOT posting the whole thing. I pretty much agree with what she said. My wife who is 5' 2" and 125lbs agrees as well. She (the wife) thinks of herself as average even though she's put on a few pounds from her normal weight after having a baby. Still, as a petite curvy woman, she still wears mostly XS, S and Petite sized clothes.
5'3" and 130 lbs would be maybe a little curvy but there is nothing wrong with curves!

It is certainly not fat. That person's BMI would be 23 which is within the normal range (18.5-24.9).

Old 11-11-2009, 09:15 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,147,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
I am 5'3" and my legs are too long to wear either petite or short....they look ridiculous on me!
Glad I'm not the only one! For some reason, I have really long legs and a tiny little torso... yet ridiculously long arms.

I also thing women's clothing should be sold by waist/hip/bust size vice an arbitrary number.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:20 AM

29,700 posts, read 34,246,140 times
Quote:
Glad I'm not the only one! For some reason, I have really long legs and a tiny little torso... yet ridiculously long arms.
Me too! I bought a petite jacket last year thinking that it would be okay (I loved the jacket but the only one left in my size was a petite) and the arms are stupidly short.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty