Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 11:38 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,927,572 times

Advertisements

After losing some weight, none of my jeans fit anymore. Yay.

Today I set out on the annoying mission to find a new pair of jeans that fit me properly. I haven't probably bought new jeans in maybe 2 years now. OMG vanity sizing is beyond ridiculous!!

At Gap and American Eagle Outfitters, I am a size 2. A freaking 2?! I tried on a size 0 for kicks, and I was probably around 5 lbs away from fitting in those. The thing is--the smallest size at those stores was a 00, I believe. I'm 5'3'' and around 130 pounds. I'm looking to lose around 10 more. What, am I not going to be able to find clothing small enough then, if I wish to shop there? So weird!

At Nordstrom, I tried on some Paige Denim, Joe's Jeans and 7 For All Mankind jeans, to which I was a size 27 (= to a 4) in all three. Better, but still a little disconcerning that I think the smallest size that the jeans go to is a 25 (maybe a 24, but I think they're special order).

At Lucky Brand, I was anywhere from a 6 to a 2, depending on the style. The sizing there was probably the best I found the places I visited today, and I settled on a size 6 jeans in a slimmer fit. The weird thing is too, is that I went to two separate malls today, and tried on the pair of jeans I ended up buying at both places. I tried on the size 4 at the first mall I went and they felt snug, but they fit well. When I went to the second Lucky store, I tried on the size 4 there (in the same jean!) and it was MUCH more snug, to the point I could barely zip it up. The size 6 that I ended up buying fit much more like the size 4 that I tried in the previous store. I didn't eat anything in between, so I know it wasn't me. So apparently it differs from individual pair to pair! GAH!

Anyhow, I think the ones I got are pretty cute: http://www.luckybrand.com/Legend-Zoe...ectedColor=460

This post is mostly just me venting, as I know this has been discussed before. Still, it's just incredible to me how vanity sizing is crazy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 09:55 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
I hear you on the vanity sizing. It's ridiculous. My closet is filled with everything from size 1 up to size 9! When are they going to vanity size tops for those of us with boobs?!?

I can see it now: "Small", "Small with boobs", "Small with Melons", "Medium", "Medium with boobs", "Medium with Melons", etc.

((Though, it's not uncommon for the listed size to be the same, yet the fit is different. Both pants were cut from the same pattern, just not sewn the exact same.))

Old 11-03-2009, 10:38 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,900,551 times
I agree. I like Old Navy jeans and I have gained weight in the past few yrs. So I was a 4, sometimes a 2, but usually 4, before the gain. I went from 5'2" and about 110-113 lbs to 128 lbs. A 6 I had in my closet was a bit snug, so I ordered an 8. Fell down. So, I went to the store, bought size 6 Dreamer (the classic rise) and they fit in the store but after wearing them for a couple of hours (even after washing and drying in hot) they too stretch out and I have to put on a belt. I went in yesterday and put the size 4 on and they fit (I did not like the way they looked so I did not buy them). I think once I get back down to 110, I'm going to be a size 0 but will also fit into my size 4s I bought in 2003!

Its so silly!

Old 11-03-2009, 11:25 AM

92 posts, read 512,243 times
I am old enough to remember when a size 14 was made for 36 inch hips. Now that would probably be a size four or so.

Moreover, current sizing of women's clothing varies among different manufacturers, so It is impossible to know what a size actually fits like without trying it on.

But I wouldn't call it vanity sizing. Why would anyone want their self-worth defined by a number?

Old 11-03-2009, 11:33 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,145,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
After losing some weight, none of my jeans fit anymore. Yay.

Today I set out on the annoying mission to find a new pair of jeans that fit me properly. I haven't probably bought new jeans in maybe 2 years now. OMG vanity sizing is beyond ridiculous!!

At Gap and American Eagle Outfitters, I am a size 2. A freaking 2?! I tried on a size 0 for kicks, and I was probably around 5 lbs away from fitting in those. The thing is--the smallest size at those stores was a 00, I believe. I'm 5'3'' and around 130 pounds. I'm looking to lose around 10 more. What, am I not going to be able to find clothing small enough then, if I wish to shop there? So weird!

This post is mostly just me venting, as I know this has been discussed before. Still, it's just incredible to me how vanity sizing is crazy!
Sadly, this is a potential problem. For those of us who used to be size 0-2, we now have to look for XS, XXS, and XXXS, and there are a limited number of stores that have this. I have gotten trendy clothes (that aren't too kiddie) and work out clothes from the girls section (no, not even the juniors; the size 1-3 is now too big).

Old 11-03-2009, 12:11 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,395,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post

I can see it now: "Small", "Small with boobs", "Small with Melons", "Medium", "Medium with boobs", "Medium with Melons", etc.
Actually, there's a UK site (Bravissimo) that caters to big-boobed gals (like myself) and they list their clothing as Curvy, Really Curvy and Super Curvy.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:35 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
Sadly, this is a potential problem. For those of us who used to be size 0-2, we now have to look for XS, XXS, and XXXS, and there are a limited number of stores that have this. I have gotten trendy clothes (that aren't too kiddie) and work out clothes from the girls section (no, not even the juniors; the size 1-3 is now too big).
I shop in the girls section @ Abercrombie & Fitch...there's a seperate store for it. It's basically the same stuff but smaller and cheaper.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:37 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTTenor View Post
I am old enough to remember when a size 14 was made for 36 inch hips. Now that would probably be a size four or so.

Moreover, current sizing of women's clothing varies among different manufacturers, so It is impossible to know what a size actually fits like without trying it on.

But I wouldn't call it vanity sizing. Why would anyone want their self-worth defined by a number?
Not everyone with 36 inch hips are big though. I have 37 inch hips. I have a 25 inch waist and I weigh about 105lbs. No way would I have ever been a size 14. If I was ever 14 at these current measurements, I shudder at the thought of what smaller girls would look like...considering I'm really thin as it is.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:15 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,927,572 times
So I wore my new jeans around my house last night for like 5-6 hours (I know, I'm weird...I always do this to new clothes/shoes to break them in). By the time the night was over, they were VERY loose on me. Back to the store for the smaller size! LOL

Old 11-03-2009, 09:13 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times
All those "new" sizes are phony and simply meant so women can say "I'm a size 0" to prove to the world how "tiny" they are.

I was cleaning out my friend's aunt's apartment after she passed away. This woman worked in Manhattan and had a lot of beautiful, timeless, & classy business attire. I looked at the tags to see the sizes. Everything was size 9 or 10. She was about 5'5", average weight/body size. In this day and age? Those clothes would have been a 00 or possibly smaller (do they make negative women's sizes now?)

I guess the clothing manufacturers want to stay on the womens' "good" side so they can keep deluding themselves into thinking they're smaller than what they actually are.

I would love to see the reactions on some women's faces if they ever knew what size they *really* are..... and, trust me girlies, you're NOT a "0" or even a 1 or 3..... LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty