U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 07:23 PM

290 posts, read 1,000,668 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/13/fa...pagewanted=all

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but YOWZA! And she calls herself a Buddhist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 08:08 PM

24,006 posts, read 32,870,716 times
Ouch. I have shopped at Penney's before and do still shop there occasionally as it is great for finding reasonably-priced shoes wide enough to fit my foot. I do not think they really cater to the zaftig customer; they cater to everyone. When I was big I found their plus-size section pretty bad but was still able to find well-made clothes in my size.

She is full of it on the polyester thing. I never had any trouble finding 100% cotton clothing at Penney's. It is not high fashion but I do not think it ever pretended to be.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Ouch. I have shopped at Penney's before and do still shop there occasionally as it is great for finding reasonably-priced shoes wide enough to fit my foot. I do not think they really cater to the zaftig customer; they cater to everyone. When I was big I found their plus-size section pretty bad but was still able to find well-made clothes in my size.

She is full of it on the polyester thing. I never had any trouble finding 100% cotton clothing at Penney's. It is not high fashion but I do not think it ever pretended to be.
Yeah, and you know what- even "higher-end" designers make a lot of polyester garments, they just mark them up a 1000%!

Old 11-09-2009, 05:33 AM

301 posts, read 637,379 times
I think Penneys is a sleeper! If you get in one and really look around you can find some trendy, well-priced things. It is a good go-to spot to find fill-in pieces, or fad "one season" pieces at an affordable price. I have had great success with their shoes, esp. East 5th, for work pumps or dress boots. I dress more contemporary and "edgy" & I can usually find something that works - I found a silver puff vest there just last week & cute suede scrunch boots. I think it is "cool" to dismiss Penneys (& Sears) because they were the big box stores of boomers youth, or where your mom/grandma shops, but to dismiss them without really looking means you could be missing out on something.

The author of the article is undoubtedly cranky because "It took me a long time to find a size 2 among the racks." LOL!!!! She probably needed something to eat!

Old 11-09-2009, 01:17 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,499,949 times
Is that Gwyneth Paltrow writing the article? Lol.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:57 PM

8,415 posts, read 35,349,550 times
She is too stupid to write for fashion and that is saying something. For one, stores buy based on customers that shop there all the time. WHY would you waste your budget on a slew of size two when most people are not that size. And what is so bad about designers making everyday were? OMG its cheaper material. So what! Everyday people do not collect and hord clothing to keep forever. And she just sounds like a B**** talking about the fat mannequins. Sounds like she has not lived or shopped many places either. I can't believe the NYT paid her for THAT write up. My cat could write something better.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:44 PM

562 posts, read 2,146,141 times
JC Penneys is the only store card I have because

1 I live in the Midwest so there is less keeping up with fashion

2 I can find some cute stuff if I search but I have to really look so I don't go crazy.

3 They have a great Home section for sheets, towels, cookware etc.

I like to support JC Penneys as a great old American store, just as I like to buy electronics at Sears. I like the idea of the old fashioned department store where dad can look at lawn mowers and mom can buy perfume and a scarf. Its nostalgic for me. The woman who wrote the article is an elitist b*tch whose grandmother only shopped at Macys. JC Penney is the queen of the middle class. Long may she live.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:03 AM

14,335 posts, read 15,155,812 times
Many NY'ers can sure get full of themselves. It's a way of bolstering their self-sense of superiority in all things wearable, eatable, drinkable........................

Old 11-10-2009, 06:33 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,941,952 times
hee
Yes, it is snarky, actually quite over the top--but I actually thought it was pretty funny, and the double meaning of the title is clever.
This "controversy" happened last summer, and she apologized. (http://www.cintrawilson.com/dregs/2009/08/once_more_with_feeling_1.php - broken link)
It's been free publicity for both Penney's and the obesity discrimination movement.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
She is too stupid to write for fashion and that is saying something. For one, stores buy based on customers that shop there all the time. WHY would you waste your budget on a slew of size two when most people are not that size. And what is so bad about designers making everyday were? OMG its cheaper material. So what! Everyday people do not collect and hord clothing to keep forever. And she just sounds like a B**** talking about the fat mannequins. Sounds like she has not lived or shopped many places either. I can't believe the NYT paid her for THAT write up. My cat could write something better.
Word. And knowing that this useless biatch has a paying job (and a prestigious one at that) while I, with my 7 years of higher ed, can't find a babysitting gig, makes me want to puke.

The article *could* have been a funny, quirky look at the contrast between Penney's and the oh-so-chic NY boutiques, between the runway and the Heartland, but her snotty, elitist tone and obvious condescension to the employees and the customers, hit all the wrong notes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty