U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2009, 04:13 PM

7,843 posts, read 11,143,137 times

Advertisements

I wasn't sure whether to post this in Health and Wellness or here. Since they aren't really dangerous I decided on here.
As we age these....gross things....start to appear
The long skinny ones you can clip. I have some, not sure if they
are actually technically skin tags or just something that comes with sun damage, sort of low flat bumpy spots. I asked the dermatologist and he
said he could hit them with some liquid nitrogen or whatever it is he used on a mole but I have found its not at all cheap and insurance doesn't cover.

I'm wondering if one of those over the counter kits that freezes warts would work? I tried it on one of those little cherry hemangioma's but it won't work on those, the dermatologist used a small electrical thing instead (I think I didn't look). He also used that on a couple of skin tags. He only used the nitro on the mole.

Any reason I shouldn't give it a shot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 04:20 PM

8,415 posts, read 34,331,463 times
I would not just go for it in case you mistake skin cancer as a tag. You have to cut off the cancer and the flesh all around it to get it all out. If you only cut it off halfway it could cause problems. I would at least go and get them inspected before you do anything. You can just pinch them off with some brand new really sharp tweezers, cleaning the area before and after with rubbing alcohol. (AFTER DOC CHECK UP THOUGH)

Old 11-15-2009, 04:40 PM

7,843 posts, read 11,143,137 times
Pitt I appreciate your advice and concern. This is after the body check I got done - so no skin cancer. The Dr. was the one who said it was quick simple thing like the few others I had had done. Insurance doesn't cover and btw the office charge and the procedure its a lot. This is low and flat - can't get with anything like that. Maybe its actually not a skin tag but another one of several old age skin things - I found this online that sounds close. Out of the 3 treatments I think trying to freeze it the only option to us civilians.

Keratosis, seborrheic: A benign skin disorder due to excessive growth of the top layer of skin cells, usually found in persons over 30 years old. They may appear as just one growth or in clusters. They are most often brown but can differ in color and range anywhere from light tan to black. They come in different sizes, anywhere from a fraction of an inch (or centimeter) to an inch (2.5 cm) in diameter. The telltale feature of seborrheic keratoses is that they look like they have been pasted on the skin or just stuck on it. They may look like a dab of warm brown candle wax that dropped on the skin. Almost everybody eventually develops at least a few seborrheic keratoses since they tend to become more common and more numerous with age. They are sometimes referred to as "barnacles of old age." The development of seborrheic keratoses is sometimes triggered by pregnancy, estrogen therapy or certain medical conditions.
From article:
Seborrheic keratoses are most often found on the chest or back but can be found on the scalp, face, or neck or almost anywhere on the body. When they first appear, the growths usually begin one at a time as small rough bumps. Eventually they thicken and develop a rough, warty surface. Salves, ointments or medication can neither cure nor prevent seborrheic keratoses. Most often seborrheic keratoses are treated by one of three methods:
* Freezing -- One method is called cryotherapy, or freezing. A very cold liquid called liquid nitrogen is applied to the growth with a cotton swab or spray gun to freeze it. Blisters may form under the growth that dry into a scablike crust. The keratosis usually falls off within a few weeks. No mark is usually left, although occasionally there may be a small dark or light spot. These will fade over time.
* Scraping -- Another method is called curettage. The growths are removed by "curetting" or scraping them from the surface of the skin. An injection or spray is first used to numb the area before the growth is removed. No stitches are necessary and bleeding is very limited. It can be controlled by applying pressure or by the application of a blood-clotting chemical.
* Electrosurgery -- Electrosurgery is another form of treatment. The growth is first numbed, then burned using an electric current and then scraped off.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:19 PM

6,262 posts, read 16,963,726 times
I have several of those. 4 on my chest,one over my eyebrow and a big,blacky ugly one on my neck. I hate it! Waiting for my insurance(yea--health insurance) to kick in in January then having them removed.
I don't like the sound/description of any of the removal processes

I too had a doctor check them. Was especially concerned about the black one on my neck. he verified they are Keratosis, seborrheic growths.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:06 PM

23,599 posts, read 31,152,740 times
I used to have them when I was obese. I had them removed by a dermatologist; cost me about $200 because my insurance would not cover it. Despite my dermatologist warning me that they would return within a year, they haven't; it's been over a year. The scars have faded too; at first the scarring was very noticeable but now I can't even remember where the skin tags were.

Worth it? Totally!

Old 11-15-2009, 08:23 PM

4,585 posts, read 10,478,742 times
I have Epstein-Barr and many of us with the chronic version get them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or