U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 11:24 AM

2,551 posts, read 3,761,316 times

Advertisements

With age you want to avoid lots of foundation and powders (also heavy eyeliner too). Try a light brown/honey brown shade of eyeliner. And wear neutral colors of makeup (lipstick, blush, and eyeshadow). Instead of black mascara, go for brown or brownish/black shades.

Let your natural beauty shine through...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 11:48 AM

14,810 posts, read 13,558,144 times
Wow! I never expected this thread to go this long or for so many to input to it. Many thanks to all who did. I cannot get any of the "higher end" cosmetics that are mentioned here but there are some larger towns nearby that will have them. Will try and get to a better department store after the holidays and will do some serious shopping then.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone!!

Old 12-25-2009, 03:03 PM

1,891 posts, read 5,146,844 times
I make my own "foundation", as described by a PP- I use Oil of Olay or generic equivalent (in the pot/tub, not the squeeze bottle), and mix in a small amount of "real" foundation (water-based).. it absorbs easier and does not look as thick as it would if I used both, separately. I try to use the OoO that has a SPF15, just for added protection. I think light colored lipstick and lip gloss tends to look washed out- I use lipstick that has a bit of color to it- color that isn't eggshell pink! (And this is likely just personal preference, but I don't like the look of eye liner on the bottom lid.. I use liquid liner only on the top lid, and (I think) it makes my eyes much more alert and "natural" than lining the lower lid.)

Have a GREAT time on your vacation!

Old 12-25-2009, 06:57 PM

562 posts, read 2,087,161 times
Yes, I think mixing is a great idea. Nuetrogena and Almay foundations are very good for department store alternatives. I just tried Sally Hansen eye shadow disks, colors by that How do I Look?ake-up gal and I swear the color and formula are as good as department store. Revlon, etc. shadows are blotchy on me and have been forever. When I have time, I apply primer(Smashbox, free w/ a kit) on my lids and this shadow. I can't go without the primer anymore so I skip shadow unless I have time to do a good job.

I think this thread is popular because the fact is that you do have to keep tweaking your make-up routine if you want to look your best. Lots of make up and powder can look sultry on a 25 yr old and very aging on a 45 yr old. I see some women who just don't make any changes or give up on cosmetics altogether when they just need to take a new approach and try a lighter touch, as all the savvy women here have noted.

I have to do a medium rosy or mauve or coral lip too. No super light lips, or dark reds and burgendies like I used to and I am a brunette. I love dark lips, but they drain me.

Old 12-25-2009, 07:24 PM

1,891 posts, read 5,146,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabumom07 View Post

I see some women who just don't make any changes or give up on cosmetics altogether when they just need to take a new approach and try a lighter touch, as all the savvy women here have noted.
...and some who use products that they don't need, but use them because they are part of the "make-up kit"- women who have beautiful skin naturally, but feel the need to use foundation/concealer/powder... just because we have always been told that those are part of the beauty package. And then there are those that bought a certain product when they were first allowed to wear make-up back in the day, and have loyally used it ever since.. even though it looked bad to begin with and still looks bad 10, 20, 30 years later (blue eye shadow, orange lipstick, foundation in a shade or consistency that doesn't match their skin, heavy black eye liner and mascara, etc..).

Old 01-01-2010, 02:44 PM

211 posts, read 334,145 times
I'm 58 and have used bareMinerals from Bare Escentuals for about the past 10 yrs. I have have many complements about how "healthy" I look and can't beleive I'm wearing any makeup. It doesn't feel like I'm wearing any either. If I'm going out I use some mascara and a little eye liner on the outside corner of my lower lid. Lip gloss, that's it.

For lotions I use whatever L'Oreal product is on sale at the time or just Lubriderm lotion. At night I use olive oil on my skin.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:26 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,573,153 times
Love this thread! May I suggest that you try posted suggestions and have a good friend, daughter, or sister help you "evaluate" your look with the different products, applications, and colors? Maybe get a bunch of makeup samples (like from Avon) and have a "makeup party".

Old 01-02-2010, 09:49 AM

14,810 posts, read 13,558,144 times
I bought some Estee Lauder Lucidity foundation and used it on New Years Eve. Also some L'Oreal Visible Lift Powder. Checked my face under daylight with a magnifying mirror after application and am happy to report that my skin really did look pretty good with those two products. I could barely notice the fine lines. I have a couple of things on order right now and hopefully will get them today or Monday. I would really like to try the mineral makeup but have no idea what shade to get and they are so expensive, I don't want to waste any money with a shade that isn't right for me.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:03 AM

8,415 posts, read 34,325,091 times
Google: everyday minerals. They have cheap starter kits. I do warn you to use a primer with minerals though. I don't think it sticks to the dryer part of my combo skin (any mineral type that has no binding agents) as well without it. I think it looks best with a finishing of MAC fix plus (or the homemade version you can find recipes for online)I've made tinted foundation with face lotion + that. I mixed it with cheaper stuff and had a higher end lotion as a base + a little Jason Aloe Gel to make it stick (i was out of primer but jason aloe gel has the glycerin that makes the make-up stick, primer is still better though due to dimethicone filling out lines and making for an easy even coverage.)

With mineral stuff though if you tend to make make-up change color, it will happen with mineral make-up for sure. Using primer seems to stop this for me but I don't have that happen too badly.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:51 PM

562 posts, read 2,087,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I bought some Estee Lauder Lucidity foundation and used it on New Years Eve. Also some L'Oreal Visible Lift Powder. Checked my face under daylight with a magnifying mirror after application and am happy to report that my skin really did look pretty good with those two products. I could barely notice the fine lines. I have a couple of things on order right now and hopefully will get them today or Monday. I would really like to try the mineral makeup but have no idea what shade to get and they are so expensive, I don't want to waste any money with a shade that isn't right for me.
So glad you see the difference! Mineral make-up works for some women but others swear it settles in their lines. I am more oily and no papery wrinkles yet, though I avoid the outer eye area or I get them there. As I have mentioned, I love Pur Minerals because it is blended w/ shea butter and is solid and I prefer the color but still like Bare Essencuals . Just find the Pur Minerals better for me- get it at Ulta, and you can do the coupons with it!!

My liqiud is Healthy Skin by Neutrogena, and I think it compares to Estee Lauder formulas pretty well. I switch back and forth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or