U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 02:17 PM

8,415 posts, read 34,344,479 times

Advertisements

I hear good things about that PUR minerals too. I never tried it. Have you ever tried a primer underneath fab?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 02:44 PM

562 posts, read 2,088,342 times
Yeah, as I responded in your new thread. Untrue to my name, I am not fabumom every day, I am too busy to be fabulous every day. I have used it on occassion on my whole face, and its very good at making things matte and even.Thats why I like Pur Minerals, I can very quickly( I am a SAHM) dust my red areas, and do a quick eyes and lips, and then go back later to add more if I have the time or the morale!

I am going back to work soon though and i may need it for being shine free for the whole day. But I will need the job to pay for it! One more necessity in the name of beauty!

Old 01-05-2010, 02:29 PM

4,507 posts, read 6,735,612 times
I use Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer (foundation) and love it...it is pricey but worth it and it doesn't cake or get into fine lines at all. You can get it on line.

I think less is more so I would say go with brows, light black or brown mascara (no eyeshadows or liner), very light blush or none at all, and a neutral or slightly brighter lipstick to lift up the face a bit (no gloss or frost, too shiny, runs into lines around the lips). Course all depends on your coloring, hair color, etc. We do lose color in our faces as we age, so we don't want to fade out of sight completely!

IMO, once you get used to no shadow or liner you will be amazed at how much younger you will look! At 62 I'm always battling with cosmetic counter make up "artists" as to what looks good, I think they really aren't trained to make up older women as much as younger ladies.

Good for you to want to try new things to look your best!

Old 01-07-2010, 09:21 PM

620 posts, read 1,591,040 times
Emu oil for a moisturizer works wonders!

Old 02-03-2015, 05:03 AM

467 posts, read 351,658 times
I am 70 and here is what I use when I am out & about:

For cleanser, toner & day moisturizer I use Monsia Skincare
Boots #7 Foundation match made - warm sand
No powder because I cannot find one that matches my skin tone yet
Marc Jacobs Bold Blush 206 Reckless
Dark grey eyebrow pencil - eyebrows and both lids but "smudged" no solid line
No eyeshadow
Jane Iredale longest lash thickening & lengthening mascara - Slate Grey
Benefit benebalm hydrating tinted lip balm from Boots

If I am home and gardening or doing other chores I only cleanse, tone & use a day moisturizer!

Old 02-03-2015, 07:39 AM

41,026 posts, read 32,712,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
At 74 and retired I rarely put on any makeup anymore and when I do I usually end up smearing off as much as possible with a Kleenex before I leave the house. I use as little as possible and I think it looks OK at first but when I take a closer look in a magnifying mirror under daylight, all I see is the powder and foundation in the fine lines and I think I look more like a made up corpse than anything else.

Here is what I use:

A base of Equate Beauty Lotion
L'Oreal True Match Foundation
Maybelline Shine Free Powder - very light dusting
A powder blush - very light
Eyebrow pencil
Matte eye shadow - again very light
A med. brown mascara - very light
Kohl pencil eyeliner - bottom lid only
Very pale lipstick

For my age I really do have pretty good skin and am routinely taken for about 60. Is there any makeup out there that is made for older skin and won't settle into the fine lines?

If recommending specific brand names is a no-no, please PM me.

Thanks.
I haven't read the whole thread so I may be repeating some advice, but here's mine.

The moisturizer seems fine.

I'd substitute BB cream for the L'Oreal foundation.
http://www.amazon.com/SKIN79-Super-B...super+bb+cream

Skip the powder - if you use a lighter foundation you won't need to "set" it with powder.

Use a cream blush, applying it with a stiff blush brush rather than with your fingers. MAC makes a good cream blush and it lasts FOREVER.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...2Cbeauty%2C322

Use eyebrow powder and a small brush.
Amazon.com : Eyebrow Powder Light Brown by Marie-Josť | Mineral Eyebrow Make Up for Perfectly Defined Brows | Includes angled nylon powder brush | Box lasts 6 months | 100% Satisfaction Guarantee! : Beauty

Your eyeshadow choices seem fine.

I would use eyeshadow and a stiff applicator rather than a pencil for eye liner.
http://www.amazon.com/CoverGirl-Enha...+Eye+Enhancers

A richer color of lipstick but not a matte or metallic finish - more of a glossy, translucent finish.

I'm 53 and this is my "beauty regimen."

Good luck!

Old 02-03-2015, 11:17 AM

14,517 posts, read 11,501,142 times
IM 67 almost 68 have good skin, but never use matte foundation or matte eyeshadows , Ive cut down a lot on makeup from when a bit younger and now only use eye liner, soft eyebrow pencil and lots of mascara.. but if Im going out at night I prefer a tinted moisturiser, much kinder to older skins as it can look a bit scary or like a mask as you get older I think... eye shadow too should be kept to a minimum I feel , Ive always used browns and olive but now only in the crease and blend it well... rouge or blusher Id leave alone unless it has a slight sheen to it and very little, just to give a healthy glow..lipstick should be kept pale nothing harsh.. and give your face a slap to get the blood flowing too...oh and no powder.. not for us oldies..

Old 02-03-2015, 01:12 PM

14,658 posts, read 29,715,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
IM 67 almost 68 have good skin, but never use matte foundation or matte eyeshadows , Ive cut down a lot on makeup from when a bit younger and now only use eye liner, soft eyebrow pencil and lots of mascara.. but if Im going out at night I prefer a tinted moisturiser, much kinder to older skins as it can look a bit scary or like a mask as you get older I think... eye shadow too should be kept to a minimum I feel , Ive always used browns and olive but now only in the crease and blend it well... rouge or blusher Id leave alone unless it has a slight sheen to it and very little, just to give a healthy glow..lipstick should be kept pale nothing harsh.. and give your face a slap to get the blood flowing too...oh and no powder.. not for us oldies..
I do the same as you - I am now 65, have good skin and pretty much use the same makeup - soft brows, liner and plenty of mascara. Only occasional eyeshadow, and only brown. I used lipliner and tinted lip gloss, no heavy lipstick, and only a touch of gel blush. I too like to slap and pinch my cheeks for a natural blush! I agree, no powder. I do like to spray natural rose water on my face which gives it a tight and healthy glow.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:15 PM

14,517 posts, read 11,501,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I do the same as you - I am now 65, have good skin and pretty much use the same makeup - soft brows, liner and plenty of mascara. Only occasional eyeshadow, and only brown. I used lipliner and tinted lip gloss, no heavy lipstick, and only a touch of gel blush. I too like to slap and pinch my cheeks for a natural blush! I agree, no powder. I do like to spray natural rose water on my face which gives it a tight and healthy glow.
hey Id forgotten about rose water I used that years ago and witch hazel too cheap and cheerful... Im buying that tomorrow , thank you Gypsy

Old 02-04-2015, 03:41 AM

5,165 posts, read 2,397,125 times
BB cream is a miracle. Also, I learned my lesson the hard way---SUNSCREEN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or