Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 07:05 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,579,201 times

Advertisements

I go to the salon every six weeks or so to get my eyebrows waxed but I have yet to be brave enough to get my binkini line done. I usually shave but it really does irritate. Does anybody use at home waxing products? Experiences? Do yo prefer it to having it professionally done? Is it more painful to do it yourself? Is the product inferior to the salon wax? My salon doesnt seem to use a very high quality product so I'm not that concerned about the last question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 08:56 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,733,071 times
Sally Hansen wax strips. I swear by them. They're easy to use, mess-free, and effective. I just trim the bikini line but they work wonders for any other hair.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:08 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,065 times
As far as shaving being irritating, what kind of razor do you use? The cheaper the razor, the more irritation from what I've seen. I recently started using an old-fashioned double-edge razor (like the kind your dad or grandfather used to use). Once you get used to shaving with it (expect a learning curve with a few nicks for a while) it shaves so well that you'll never go back to a disposable razor again. It leaves you smooth with absolutely no stubble and it doesn't irritate your skin because the blades are so sharp that it really does cut the hair rather than pulling on it.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:13 AM

1,385 posts, read 3,006,628 times
I always thought waxing was too painful. Ever try magic shave powder? Just add water and apply to remove hair. It really works, the downside is that the funky smell will permeate your home.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:17 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,733,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arod0331 View Post
I always thought waxing was too painful. Ever try magic shave powder? Just add water and apply to remove hair. It really works, the downside is that the funky smell will permeate your home.
Doesn't Nair do that too? And they've now come out with "Cucumber Melon" scented Nair

Old 10-23-2008, 09:19 AM

The problem I've run into with Nair and it's ilk (yes, I said ilk!) is that they don't remove all the hair. Plus, you can't use a lot of them in the bikini area. PLUS...a lot of them are irritating because of the chemicals.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:51 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,579,201 times
My husband uses a straight edge razor. He's quite adept at it. Maybe I should just enlist his services. I can't imagine he'd mind.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:38 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
I always get Brazilianed at the salon, but one day while shopping, I ran across an at-home do it yourself Brazilian wax kit. I bought it and hubby and I decided he would Brazilian me. I was trying to explain how much wax he should put on, how thick it should be and how much of an area he should cover. It's like he didn't hear a word I said and applied this wax in a HUGE area that was impossible to pull off. OUCH!!! I ended up taking an old washcloth, getting it wet with the hottest water I could stand and melting this wax off myself, while at the same time using scissors to cut away what I could. That took about an hour. Finally, I had most of the wax off and was able to get in the shower and shave everything off. I learned a valuable lesson that day - you always get what you pay for.

Last edited by Twinkle Toes; 10-23-2008 at 12:06 PM..

Old 10-23-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I always get Brazilianed at the salon, but one day while shopping, I ran across an at-home do it yourself Brazilian wax kit. I bought it and hubby and I decided he would Brazilian me. I was trying to explain how much wax he should put on, how thick it should be and how much of an area she should cover. It's like he didn't hear a word I said and applied this wax in a HUGE area that was impossible to pull off. OUCH!!! I ended up taking an old washcloth, getting it wet with the hottest water I could stand and melting this wax off myself, whil at the same time using scissors to cut away what I could. That took about an hour. Finally, I had most of the wax off and was able to get in the shower and shave everything off. I kearned a valuable lesson that day - you always get what you pay for.
That wasn't the fault of the kit.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:10 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
That wasn't the fault of the kit.
No, I guess not, but DAMN it hurt like a mofo!!!

After that experience I just decided to stick with the ladies at the salon being all up in my bizness!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty