U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 02:54 PM

522 posts, read 1,208,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabumom07 View Post
Actually, I was talking about the original in the shoot w/ 2 women, not your second example with her tummy out. She looks kinda weird. I think there should be more fashion s, maybe not runway where they have to look great in everything, but in Vogue, , Elle, Seventeen, who are size 6-8.Modeling clothes and bathing suits, tall and in great shape. I agree the "skinny sister" looks more like a size 0-2 than a 4, but its hard to tell one big and one skinny never look great together.

When I was in my teens and early 20s, i had a flat tummy when I gained weight to a size 12, but mostly was 8-10. A tall especially can look great at a 12, but she would be too slim to actually wear plus size, which all have big waists.

I'll keep saying til you all yawn, it seems most s either have to kill themselves to be super-skinny or let them selves be pretty big to do plus ing. I don't know much about the business, only what I see in front of me in magazines. I see very few examples of what would be a a really healthy weight for most women. I know the camera adds pounds, and its best to have tall m*dels, and that some women are naturally very thin.

At least there are women in the media women like Beyonce, Jennifer Lopez and Jessica Simpson and ( who gets flak cause white s are supposed to be size 4) who are a normal size and are glam*urous for young g*rls to admire.
Jessica Simpson gets issues about her weight sometimes because people aren't use to seeing her with a little tummy. She probably didn't gain much weight but she's also very petite.

Size 12 for runway is plus size but in reality it's actually the average size.
Not all of the runway models are super skinny, they just seem that way in magazines because of the way they contort their bodies, and then some photoshopping just makes it look worse.

Aside from runway there's always print/commercial for those who are shorter and don't meet the standard for runway.

I see why they prefer the models to meet a certain standard in height and size. It's so that the models can change in and out of clothes with any hassle. The people who dress them during shows don't have to worry about finding the right size for each model because they all basically fit the same size. They're not suppose to be "pretty", they're job is to model clothes. Like I said, walking hanger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 04:03 PM

14,298 posts, read 20,550,720 times
There are women that are naturally that skinny. I used to be one of them. No matter how hard I tried, what I ate, I just couldn't gain weight to save my life. It drove me insane, especially back then when the didn't make size 0 clothes. I had to shop in the little girls department in college. Awful.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:20 PM

1,860 posts, read 6,724,807 times
Well I know and have seen plenty of size 12's that are thinner than the "thin" model. Size takes nothing into account i.e. height, muscle to fat ratio etc. A 6' size 12 is skinny. A 5' size 12 not so much. So in the end this article is meaningless and a false representation of size.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:37 PM

522 posts, read 1,208,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
There are women that are naturally that skinny. I used to be one of them. No matter how hard I tried, what I ate, I just couldn't gain weight to save my life. It drove me insane, especially back then when the didn't make size 0 clothes. I had to shop in the little girls department in college. Awful.
I hear ya.
My friends and I were smaller than a size 0 (yeah, talk about crazy). Try finding clothing to fit that without shopping in the kids section. What woman wants to shop in the kiddy section anyway? I hate that petite sizes are slightly bigger than regular. Whoever designed these clothes must think that short means bigger too.

I can wear regular sizes except in the pants area because they're just a little too long in the legs, but when I shop petite the sizes are a little too big. I got down a size and the legs become to short.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:05 PM

23,906 posts, read 31,137,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
V MAGAZINE | V FASHION | ONE SIZE FITS ALL (http://vmagazine.com/article.php?n=14368 - broken link)

Just photo set that shows a size 4 and a size 12 plus size model. I think its cool how they look the same and to me it looks like big sister(curvy) and little sister(skinny) And the plus size model looks about a kabillion times better than that glamour photoshoot one.
That's only because that size 12 gal happens to have her weight distributed in an hour-glass shape that is more typical of a smaller-sized gal. She's lucky, and very atypical. That's why she's a model. Most size 12 gals don't have such a nice shape.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:23 AM

8,220 posts, read 12,809,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by militarymom View Post
that size 4 girl is more a size 0/2, and VERY photoshopped (look at her arms!) as is the size 12 model who looks more like a size 8/10 waist. They need to do a REAL shoot, not photoshop and compare. Im a size 2/4 max and Im way bigger than that size 4 model for sure. I used to be a size 12 and I didn't look like that model. Everyone gains weight differently. I rarely see a size 12 person with a completely flat abdomen and that much curve without more chunkiness elsewhere. Not on 'real' women anyways.
Not saying they aren't photoshopped but don't forget that a model is consider SHORT if she's under 6 FT tall. For a woman that tall, size 4 DOES look very skinny. If she were a normal height but the same porportional skinniness, you're right that she might be closer to a size 0/2.

But as someone else pointed out, vanity sizing is so out of control that the same size can actually be 3 different sizes in 3 different stores. Labelling someone by their clothing size just isn't very accurate in general - yet another problem with the article.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:48 PM

8,415 posts, read 34,331,463 times
6 ft is actually a little too tall. Ideal is 5'8''-5'10'' for runway (5'6'' ok though)

Print work only and com. are around 5'5''

Old 12-29-2009, 01:02 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,794,118 times
Quote:
6 ft is actually a little too tall. Ideal is 5'8''-5'10'' for runway (5'6'' ok though)

Print work only and com. are around 5'5''
Yep, I was told when I was younger that I was a bit too tall for anything other than modeling wedding dresses. That was weird. I'm just shy of 6'1 btw. If you're 6', plus they put you in heels you'll dwarf over all the other runway women, they want them all to look basically the same.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:05 PM

333 posts, read 895,316 times
those pictures are not an accurate portrayal of your typical size 4 or size 12. I've been both sizes, and looked like neither of these. I'm currently a size 4/6, but at a height of 5'3" I look much bigger than the size 4 model shown.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:25 PM

8,220 posts, read 12,809,728 times
Quote:
(5'6'' ok though)
Not according to "America's next top model" - minimum height requirement is 5'7" and no one under 5'7" is accepted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty