U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 08:17 PM

9,783 posts, read 15,345,327 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't buy a fur coat either, but dead animals don't need their fur ...sorry that was kind of a black joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 05:37 AM

9 posts, read 17,371 times
Yes! I like your thought.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:11 AM

3,980 posts, read 2,968,254 times
I don't have much respect for anti-fur sentiment from folks who eat meat and/or wear leather. On the other hand, I might not share a genuinely vegetarian/vegan worldview, but I respect those who commit to it honestly.

From a fashion point of view I think ostentatious furs look tacky. But I favor simple clothing in general.

Fur is a great comfort in extreme temps. A fur ruff is excellent skin protection.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I don't have much respect for anti-fur sentiment from folks who eat meat and/or wear leather. On the other hand, I might not share a genuinely vegetarian/vegan worldview, but I respect those who commit to it honestly.

From a fashion point of view I think ostentatious furs look tacky. But I favor simple clothing in general.

Fur is a great comfort in extreme temps. A fur ruff is excellent skin protection.
Well, it is a bit of an ethical quandry. Some would argue that killing not to eat is wrong, but that's what our stone age ancestors did, well I suppose they probably did eat the animal before using it's skin. Either way, killing is killing no matter what the purpose, and if we're talking animals raised in farms, is it really different for animals raised for food? One could argue though that fur is not a NEED, especially now, but then vegetarians could argue we don't NEED to eat meat to survive. One thing that hasn't been raised are farm raised crocodiles that are raised for their skins. You always hear about fur, but what about crocodile farms? I don't think I've heard PETA protesting much about them, yet it's the same isn't it?

Old 09-04-2013, 10:33 PM

96 posts, read 112,637 times
Most the people in this thread raging about killing minks and muskrats have never seen or been close to a real one.

They are very viscous little b*****ds and can easily take a finger off.

They're a freaking rat that swims and is 3x meaner.

My drink where many hide.........

Old 09-04-2013, 10:37 PM

96 posts, read 112,637 times
Ah yes....here we go.

DON'T even think about petting him or her if you value your hand and fingers.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:37 PM

847 posts, read 892,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9052BK-AFO-II-AUTO View Post
Most the people in this thread raging about killing minks and muskrats have never seen or been close to a real one.

They are very viscous little b*****ds and can easily take a finger off.

They're a freaking rat that swims and is 3x meaner.
Ya know............teenagers are vicious. Nobody's killing them.

So they're good fighters. Fierce about protecting their turf and their families.
I'd think you'd admire that.

Old 09-14-2013, 05:17 PM

12,411 posts, read 15,942,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Well, it is a bit of an ethical quandry. Some would argue that killing not to eat is wrong, but that's what our stone age ancestors did, well I suppose they probably did eat the animal before using it's skin. Either way, killing is killing no matter what the purpose, and if we're talking animals raised in farms, is it really different for animals raised for food? One could argue though that fur is not a NEED, especially now, but then vegetarians could argue we don't NEED to eat meat to survive. One thing that hasn't been raised are farm raised crocodiles that are raised for their skins. You always hear about fur, but what about crocodile farms? I don't think I've heard PETA protesting much about them, yet it's the same isn't it?

Maybe if you're a certain type of Buddhist it's the same.
My compassion tends to run out the further an animal becomes from my ability to relate to it. I have no problem swatting a fly or mosquito. None at all.

'Though I believe vegetarians are honest and dedicated people, I have always gotten ill when I attempted it. Three times for almost a year each. I watched my diet carefully, took supplements, made sure I was getting complete protein, etc. I became ill each time, with something like the flu, and craved chicken each time. Each time after having the chicken I improved quickly. Maybe it was all the antibiotics that they feed chicken, what can I say?

So I agree with them in spirit, and feel sad that I cannot be one of them, but that's it for me. I would encourage others to try it because obviously some thrive on such a diet. My friend does.

I do think each person should do what he feels he can, though, to make this a better planet. I would not have leather furnishings, nor a coat; neither would I wear fur.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
[/b]
Maybe if you're a certain type of Buddhist it's the same.
My compassion tends to run out the further an animal becomes from my ability to relate to it. I have no problem swatting a fly or mosquito. None at all.

'Though I believe vegetarians are honest and dedicated people, I have always gotten ill when I attempted it. Three times for almost a year each. I watched my diet carefully, took supplements, made sure I was getting complete protein, etc. I became ill each time, with something like the flu, and craved chicken each time. Each time after having the chicken I improved quickly. Maybe it was all the antibiotics that they feed chicken, what can I say?

So I agree with them in spirit, and feel sad that I cannot be one of them, but that's it for me. I would encourage others to try it because obviously some thrive on such a diet. My friend does.

I do think each person should do what he feels he can, though, to make this a better planet. I would not have leather furnishings, nor a coat; neither would I wear fur.
Yes I'm a bit torn on the vegetarian issue. On one hand, I do believe meat forms a part of our natural diet, and well it's part of the 'circle of life', yet on another level, perhaps not harming or killing is one step to transcend the animal nature. Then again, if it's natural for us...but what is natural isn't always humane. Then again, we live in an imperfect world, and we can't be perfectly moral beings. I believe in the idea of the 'Fall', that it was never actually intended for animals to eat flesh, as wishy washy and ridiculous as that sounds. Of course, the lion we now know was created to eat flesh, so I think the 'lion lying down with the lamb' is symbolic of that sense of harmony and peace between all creatures. Yet, then again, maybe death really is a part of ALL existence at ALL levels, who knows.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:54 AM

12,411 posts, read 15,942,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yes I'm a bit torn on the vegetarian issue. On one hand, I do believe meat forms a part of our natural diet, and well it's part of the 'circle of life', yet on another level, perhaps not harming or killing is one step to transcend the animal nature. Then again, if it's natural for us...but what is natural isn't always humane. Then again, we live in an imperfect world, and we can't be perfectly moral beings. I believe in the idea of the 'Fall', that it was never actually intended for animals to eat flesh, as wishy washy and ridiculous as that sounds. Of course, the lion we now know was created to eat flesh, so I think the 'lion lying down with the lamb' is symbolic of that sense of harmony and peace between all creatures. Yet, then again, maybe death really is a part of ALL existence at ALL levels, who knows.
Well, everything in nature preys on something else for its survival. Because of our opposable thumb and higher intellect we have managed to have nothing preying on us - except certain microscopic parasites. So we end up upsetting the balance of nature and taking over the entire planet, so much so that both we and the planet are choking on our own refuse.

We have effectively limited the growth of other animals on the planet, but good planet husbandry should include limiting our own numbers as well. I'm all for capitalism but the concept of the necessity for an ever expanding market can only end in disaster at some point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty