U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 04:32 PM

8,415 posts, read 34,378,036 times

Advertisements

I love how people say its useless yet never had one. NO northface etc compares at all to the warmth of real fur. Sorry but this is another example of nature had it right the first time. I condemn the fur farms and unethical trappers. But unless you are vegan and only buy TRUE fair trade (etc) type products you really have no room to talk. Beef fat in your soap, leather in your shoes, pesticide classified corn on your dinner table run by a company that drives family farmers out of business, palm oil in your lotions that are killing off forest habitat, clothing sewn by chinese children making 60 cents an hour...

I love a wild caught fur coat made by a local furrier. My family grew up around a lot of outdoor type guys and they never did that cruel crap that peta spews out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 07:17 PM

3,388 posts, read 5,552,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
You mean, say, shearling? I have no problem with that. I used to have a sheepskin vest that I made and it didn't bother me.
Yeah, along with rabbit, deer, and in some places raccoon or possum. (I don't eat the latter two, but I know those that do.) Even bear, elk, or moose.

When I hunt, I use as much of the animal as I can, and if I can't use a part and someone else can, it goes to them.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:46 AM

5,065 posts, read 13,296,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Sorry but this is another example of nature had it right the first time. I condemn the fur farms and unethical trappers. But unless you are vegan and only buy TRUE fair trade (etc) type products you really have no room to talk. Beef fat in your soap, leather in your shoes, pesticide classified corn on your dinner table run by a company that drives family farmers out of business, palm oil in your lotions that are killing off forest habitat, clothing sewn by chinese children making 60 cents an hour...

I love a wild caught fur coat made by a local furrier. My family grew up around a lot of outdoor type guys and they never did that cruel crap that peta spews out.
What are you talking about, "nature had it right the first time"? Those little animals whose fur you are wearing were simply stripped of their fur and their bodies tossed aside, with no further use. Unless you are also eating them? Do you? When it comes to beef/leather, the whole animal is used. Being at the top of the food chain and being meat eaters, I can understand why humans eat the meat and then use the rest of the animal for other purposes. Simply killing an animal for vanity though, I just don't get the logic.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:01 AM

7,736 posts, read 13,987,615 times
Luxury and vanity often go hand in hand.

Look at Hermes who's been reported to breed it's own crocodiles for its hides (3-4 crocs per bag)...because the demand is so high for a 40K+ bag! And I highly doubt they're using the meat of their ostriches, lizard or other animals in which they get their leathers.

Last edited by TheImportersWife; 01-07-2010 at 09:25 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 01-07-2010, 08:46 AM

4,721 posts, read 13,629,193 times
Designers,certainly those from Europe, have never been high on the charts of superior intelligence or integrity,nor are they on many lists of "admired people" except for the silly shallows who NEED the name for some sort of imagined status.
And I admit this is a broad sweeping generalization. I happen to like Stella McCartney and some of her creations.
Though I understand many admire clothing designs and view them as an art form, I see no need for fur in this day and age and dont understand the consciousness that allows one to think its ok. That being said, its America and we are free to wear what we wish. I try not to judge good people who make decisions that I wouldnt make.

Last edited by nanannie; 01-07-2010 at 08:59 AM..

Old 01-07-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
What are you talking about, "nature had it right the first time"? Those little animals whose fur you are wearing were simply stripped of their fur and their bodies tossed aside, with no further use. Unless you are also eating them? Do you? When it comes to beef/leather, the whole animal is used. Being at the top of the food chain and being meat eaters, I can understand why humans eat the meat and then use the rest of the animal for other purposes. Simply killing an animal for vanity though, I just don't get the logic.

Nature made the warmest thing that was not created from petrol chemicals that harm the enviroment which american sons are dying for, sewn by 3 world kids cutting an american out of a job to be cost effective. Would you like to know about the lead in your dyes as well?

Well thats NOT what all fur makers do. They even use the pee! Yes I have eaten all types of meat. I generally do not eat a lot of meat these days because I only spend my money on ethically treated meat sources. They are not as cheap as factory beef.

Do you know how the "use" the whole beef cow? After they may or may not kill them with a mallet to the head or an air gun the hang them up by the throat. Some are gutted alive. They don't use all the parts either. Also those factory farms ruin the enviroment so the overspill goes way beyond just animal treatment. Its treatment you and the world too. Is it cool they use it all when while its alive they treated it like crap too? I don't think so. Wildlife death is a lot more harsh/severe than a 22 behind the ear as well. What meat they can't sell because it does not make the FDA grade just gets tossed if it wont go into petfood standards.

So to crucify someone who wears fur based on ethics when you don't know the source is hypocritcal unless you are that free trade vegan I was talking about.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:30 PM

Meat.org | The Website the Meat Industry Doesn't Want You to See

There...look at some factory farm if you think its ok to "use" animals like that. No ethical trapper would EVER treat a fur animal like that. No ethical farmer for that matter.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:38 PM

2,776 posts, read 6,974,330 times
I am an avid outdoorsperson and a supporter of animals both wild and domestic and I'm a native New Englander. . Many years ago I bought a used mink coat, even though I was against fur I had this idea that it at least should not be wasted, recycling as such. It was the warmest coat I have ever warn in my life and I know cold! I've had Gore-Tex and polypropylene wicking fabrics, you name it. Nature made fur to enable an animal's warmth, and that warmth is transferable through fur. I now live in Maine. I hunt in season and I know people that trap. I am not a fan of the people that buy fur just because it is an expensive status symbol to wear to the opera in September (I have seen this!). I really don't like the methods of trapping but in most areas it is the only effective population control for certain species.
As my Cherokee ancestors must have thought: utilize the animal, respect the animal. Never waste the gifts it can offer when it turns it's life over to you. Never take more than you need. And always appreciate the life that was sacrificed for your comfort, be it food, shelter , tool, or clothing.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:45 PM

25,907 posts, read 35,041,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
I LOVE fur. I have several including a Givenchy full length blackglama mink my mother gave me. I also have several vintage exotic furs that are no longer legal (but were when they were made in the 30s/40s) that include: Leopard, Jaguar, Monkey, and Seal to name a few.

I want a white mink too. Trapeze style w/ bell cuffs.
Monkey?

Old 01-08-2010, 07:22 AM

5,065 posts, read 13,296,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Meat.org | The Website the Meat Industry Doesn't Want You to See

There...look at some factory farm if you think its ok to "use" animals like that. No ethical trapper would EVER treat a fur animal like that. No ethical farmer for that matter.
I can't believe you quoted PETA, not a reliable or ethical source at all. PETA routinely kills cats and dogs given to them, it's been documented by reliable sources. I first heard about it on the news a few years ago. It's also ironic you chose to share a PETA link because PETA is so avidly against fur---I could find all sorts of horror stories on their site about the methods used and animals tortured (including domestic) in the slaughter for their fur!!

I'm not defending the slaughter of cows, but you should at least know the truth about PETA. I don't want to get into a debate about which is more cruel, the slaughter of cows or the slaughter of animals for their fur. If the whole animal is being used, which is usually the case with cows, I don't find it as disturbing as just killing them for their hide/pelt. But that is rarely the case in the slaughter for fur, which is also often inhumane. There are disturbing details on this link:

Fur farming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

See links below for more on PETA:

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PETA is against the no kill movement and euthanizes most of the animals surrendered to them.[57] In 2005, PETA euthanized 1,946 companion animals in Virginia, out of 2,138 animals (or 91%) surrendered to them or picked up as strays.[58] During the same year, 126,797 animals, out of 228,376 animals (or 55%) surrendered or picked up as strays, were euthanized at animal shelters in Virginia.

PETA accused of slaughtering thousands of pets | Daily Contributor

The People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) has been accused of killing thousands of pets placed in its custody.
Last year, statistics show that the animal welfare charity put down 2,124 animals that had been given to them. And since 1998, more than 20,000 pets handed to PETA have been put down, according to a report by the Daily Mail.
Figures obtained from the Virginia Department of Agriculture reveal that last year PETA killed five pets a day.
[LEFT]
Read more: PETA accused of slaughtering thousands of pets | Daily Contributor
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty