U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 11:16 AM

8,415 posts, read 34,349,259 times

Advertisements

This is not about peta. It was for video of what goes on with your food. PETA did not create these companies and tell the people to run them like that. Sorry I am not that stupid that I would denounce everything from a source over one thing I personally do not agree with (pet killing). Its an obvious extreme but does not change the fact of what goes on in a factory farm slaughterhouse. It does not change the fact that cruelty is everywhere in your products and consumption if you actually look.

And if you are fine with animals being treated like that to feed yourself with I don't know what is wrong with you. It does not matter if they use it all and it does not change the fact of what it does to you and your enviroment. So to get all in a huff about a measly fur coat well...direct that energy at yourself and stop buying that kind of crap food, don't ever buy a fur and if you do you better of made it or know an ethical source.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 11:23 AM

5,065 posts, read 13,281,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
This is not about peta. It was for video of what goes on with your food. PETA did not create these companies and tell the people to run them like that. Sorry I am not that stupid that I would denounce everything from a source over one thing I personally do not agree with (pet killing). Its an obvious extreme but does not change the fact of what goes on in a factory farm slaughterhouse. It does not change the fact that cruelty is everywhere in your products and consumption if you actually look.

And if you are fine with animals being treated like that to feed yourself with I don't know what is wrong with you. It does not matter if they use it all and it does not change the fact of what it does to you and your enviroment. So to get all in a huff about a measly fur coat well...direct that energy at yourself and stop buying that kind of crap food, don't ever buy a fur and if you do you better of made it or know an ethical source.
Your logic is so flawed I am laughing! Okay, carry on with defending fur. I can see I am wasting my time here.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:19 PM

Whats the flaw? You don't agree that cows feel pain too because you were raised a beef eater instead of a fur wearer? I am not blindly defending all fur either.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:28 PM

260 posts, read 493,270 times
it takes up to 40 animals to make a fur coat and these animals are skinned alive or anally electrocuted in order to preserve the skins. the amount of vainity and selfishness it takes to wear a fur is beyond imagination. imo a requirement to by one should be that the purchaser has to watch it being made and hear the screams of the victims.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:17 PM

You don't anally electrocute a trapped wild animal. 22 behind the ear. Doing that actually ruins the fur because to stress an animal ruins the fur/skin. That crap is just sick. I have seen it and I don't agree with that method at all. You should not skin an animal alive either. Thats just sick.

I think meat eaters should go watch that video so they can hear the pigs screaming and flopping around in thier own blood. A fur lasts you 20 years. A meal has to be taken everyday. But I am sure there are plenty of overweight meat eaters that don't need to eat meat yet still do and in excess.

What about the kids that sew your cotton coats. Is it ok then? They live in poverty and work for cents and hour. Should we go watch the tears stream down thier faces in the crappy 3rd world life they have?

11 Facts About Sweatshops | Do Something

Enjoy your fur free walmart shopping!

"For less than 1% of Nike’s advertising budget, wages could be doubled for all workers making Nike university clothing."

"Sweatshop workers earn as little as Ĺ to ľ of what they need to provide for basic nutrition, shelter, energy, clothing, education and transportation."

Old 01-08-2010, 05:01 PM

7,736 posts, read 13,974,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg420 View Post
it takes up to 40 animals to make a fur coat and these animals are skinned alive or anally electrocuted in order to preserve the skins. the amount of vainity and selfishness it takes to wear a fur is beyond imagination. imo a requirement to by one should be that the purchaser has to watch it being made and hear the screams of the victims.
If it makes you feel better, I'll skin it myself.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:33 PM

4,135 posts, read 9,123,967 times
2 of my parkas have fox ruffs. Where I live, the fur will not freeze like a polyester fake fur ruff does. They are also down fill. If you are outside most of the time, this is a BIG plus.

May you "no fur" folks work or walk for an hour in an heavy snow or ice storm with no fur ruff . I bet lots of opinions would change

Old 01-09-2010, 07:36 AM

260 posts, read 493,270 times
If you would not volunteer to experience even a small portion of what farmed animals go through or if you feel subjecting companion animals to the same fate is morally repulsive, then isnít that reason alone to consider a system of eating that is not founded on the subjugation and exploitation of other sentient, feeling beings? -- Marji

this applies to fur also.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:49 AM

I bet most people in this thread did not even watch the film let alone volunteering experience. I really doubt most people could even do that for a job. That is why I think its so strange everyone just consumes whatever and as much as possible with everything without thinking about where it came from.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:27 PM

5,065 posts, read 13,281,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I bet most people in this thread did not even watch the film let alone volunteering experience. I really doubt most people could even do that for a job. That is why I think its so strange everyone just consumes whatever and as much as possible with everything without thinking about where it came from.
No, I'm not going to watch the Peta video, whether it's for slaughtering cows, or stripping animals of their fur. You baffle me, because on one hand you promote fur, and on the other you are against killing animals for food. Earlier you said "not to get in a huff over one measly fur coat", but since most fur is obtained inhumanely, and several animals are needed for one coat, I do feel it's wrong. I don't care how humanely an animal is killed, (you said a .22 behind the ear for fur was humane) if it's killed for it's skin alone, I feel it's an unnecessary death.

Just FYI, I do try and buy my meat/chicken from humane sources. I buy our eggs from a local farm with free-roaming chickens which I've seen for myself, and we buy our meat from a store here with three locations, called Stew Leonard's. They have a line of meats called "Naked", which "contain no antibiotics, added hormones or preservatives, and are from animals raised and harvested humanely".
Fresh milk products and great customer service at Stew Leonard's!
http://www.stewleonards.com/press/06NakedChicken.cfm

While I won't wear fur since I don't believe in killing animals for vanity, I do feel guilty eating meat, but then again humans are at the top of the food chain, and most are meat eaters. From your arguments, I gather you are a vegan? Going vegan for me would be extremely difficult, as I'm allergic to soy/peanuts/many beans, I have hypoglycemia and need a high-protein diet, and I suffer from anemia as well. So to sum it up, I buy as humanely as possible when buying meat, and wear no fur, which is totally unnecessary. And now I am done with this subject, no point in beating a dead horse. (no pun intended )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty