U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-09-2010, 12:51 PM
 
Location: North Shore Long Island
7,736 posts, read 13,962,412 times
Reputation: 10544

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
No, I'm not going to watch the Peta video, whether it's for slaughtering cows, or stripping animals of their fur. You baffle me, because on one hand you promote fur, and on the other you are against killing animals for food. Earlier you said "not to get in a huff over one measly fur coat", but since most fur is obtained inhumanely, and several animals are needed for one coat, I do feel it's wrong. I don't care how humanely an animal is killed, (you said a .22 behind the ear for fur was humane) if it's killed for it's skin alone, I feel it's an unnecessary death.

Just FYI, I do try and buy my meat/chicken from humane sources. I buy our eggs from a local farm with free-roaming chickens which I've seen for myself, and we buy our meat from a store here with three locations, called Stew Leonard's. They have a line of meats called "Naked", which "contain no antibiotics, added hormones or preservatives, and are from animals raised and harvested humanely".
Fresh milk products and great customer service at Stew Leonard's!
Fresh milk products and great customer service at Stew Leonard's!

While I won't wear fur since I don't believe in killing animals for vanity, I do feel guilty eating meat, but then again humans are at the top of the food chain, and most are meat eaters. From your arguments, I gather you are a vegan? Going vegan for me would be extremely difficult, as I'm allergic to soy/peanuts/many beans, I have hypoglycemia and need a high-protein diet, and I suffer from anemia as well. So to sum it up, I buy as humanely as possible when buying meat, and wear no fur, which is totally unnecessary. And now I am done with this subject, no point in beating a dead horse. (no pun intended )
Gotta' love feel good marketing. (Then again Stew's has always been known for their great marketing. ) "animals raised and harvested humanely"...ain't that an oxymoron!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-09-2010, 02:03 PM
 
8,415 posts, read 34,319,158 times
Reputation: 6197
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
No, I'm not going to watch the Peta video, whether it's for slaughtering cows, or stripping animals of their fur. You baffle me, because on one hand you promote fur, and on the other you are against killing animals for food. Earlier you said "not to get in a huff over one measly fur coat", but since most fur is obtained inhumanely, and several animals are needed for one coat, I do feel it's wrong. I don't care how humanely an animal is killed, (you said a .22 behind the ear for fur was humane) if it's killed for it's skin alone, I feel it's an unnecessary death.

Just FYI, I do try and buy my meat/chicken from humane sources. I buy our eggs from a local farm with free-roaming chickens which I've seen for myself, and we buy our meat from a store here with three locations, called Stew Leonard's. They have a line of meats called "Naked", which "contain no antibiotics, added hormones or preservatives, and are from animals raised and harvested humanely".
Fresh milk products and great customer service at Stew Leonard's!
Fresh milk products and great customer service at Stew Leonard's!

While I won't wear fur since I don't believe in killing animals for vanity, I do feel guilty eating meat, but then again humans are at the top of the food chain, and most are meat eaters. From your arguments, I gather you are a vegan? Going vegan for me would be extremely difficult, as I'm allergic to soy/peanuts/many beans, I have hypoglycemia and need a high-protein diet, and I suffer from anemia as well. So to sum it up, I buy as humanely as possible when buying meat, and wear no fur, which is totally unnecessary. And now I am done with this subject, no point in beating a dead horse. (no pun intended )
Yes I know how it blows the mind that people make tailored thoughts instead of parroting info.

I promote the use of fur for the need when killed ethically.
You say 40 died for a coat...watch the ticker of the amt of animals that are dying for meals. Fur cannot be replaced in certain situation. I forgot about that freeze factor too. Anyone can live eating no meat.

Im glad you make an effort. If you watched that video you would probably carve that choice in stone and never buy anything but that type. So I do suggest you watch it. Especially the part where the workers are cheering because the killed a baby pig by slamming it on the ground. This is just how they kill them in factory farms.

You can still eat vegan with those issues you have. I have been 100% vegan and not. I did a test to see if it made me feel differently either way. Also with products etc. But I have to say after I watch that video I just did not want it. I don't want to create a market for it. I am in the midst of changing out a lot of things. One which I don't want to (a face cream) but it has collagen in it. That comes from chicken sternums. That chicken images gross me out in my head as I am putting it on my face.

____________________________________

Importers Wife....watch that video I posted. There is a HUGE difference.



Ethically treated animals for food or fashion also support the more indie local businessmen too. So you are putting your hard earned dollars back into your surroundings.

Last edited by pitt_transplant; 01-09-2010 at 02:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2010, 02:20 PM
 
5,065 posts, read 13,268,624 times
Reputation: 3497
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
You say 40 died for a coat...
I did not say that.

And I went through some of your recent posts, and you DO eat meat. You are not a vegan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2010, 02:23 PM
 
8,415 posts, read 34,319,158 times
Reputation: 6197
I just said I have been 100% vegan and not. Is it really that confusing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2010, 02:30 PM
 
Location: SW Missouri
15,527 posts, read 29,228,109 times
Reputation: 21263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee22 View Post
I dont have a fur coat and i dont want one, the animals need the fur more then i do.
what do you say?
I am an animal lover and I would not be comfortable wearing fur. You can shear a sheep or alpaca or pluck the wool from an angora rabbit and get just as much warmth. In fact, I have an angora sweater that I cannot wear because it is too warm.

The only way I could justify fur is if I lived/worked in a POLAR region and there was really no reasonable alternative. But very few people do, so there is no excuse for the amount of animals that are slaughtered for people's vanity.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2010, 02:30 PM
 
5,065 posts, read 13,268,624 times
Reputation: 3497
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I just said I have been 100% vegan and not. Is it really that confusing?
What's confusing is that you are telling us it's okay to kill animals for fur, but not for their meat. Yet you eat meat as well. That's hypocritical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2010, 02:37 PM
 
8,415 posts, read 34,319,158 times
Reputation: 6197
Oooh like its hypocritical to be killing animals for food but not for fur? Its all death/pain.

And what point did I say I was lily white either? I came from a steak chomping background. I was raised to eat meat. Most of my diet is veggie and has been since I was 18 and buying my own. Quite a few vegan years in there as well. Being vegan was a major pain but its becoming easier with it being more popular. (easy grab foods, more soaps etc)

I am saying its not needed to 100% kill animals for food because there is so many other things you can eat. It is 100% wrong to kill animals in the factory farm way.

Its not 100% wrong to wear fur. There are temps where fake stuff does not work at all. If you buy this fake stuff in the name of ethics, I suggest you review labor outsourcing and sweatshop conditions. Otherwise you might as well wear fur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2010, 05:06 PM
 
Location: Wherever I want to be... ;)
2,539 posts, read 8,563,766 times
Reputation: 1955
Wow. I have to say that I've been keeping up with this thread and it's been a bit eye-opening to me. I, for one, avoid meat as much as possible--partially because I don't enjoy it, it doesn't agree with me most of the time, and because I disagree with factory farming. Because of the latter, I've always just said "hell no!" to fur, because it seemed to be a logical fallacy to not.

Anyhow, needless to say I've never lived in a super cold climate. I have no idea what anything below, say, 20 degrees feels like. I grew up most of my life in Florida, and now I live in Southern California. My time spent in the Northeast was brief and as a young child.

I can say now that if fur truly does insulate better than synthetic fabrics, then perhaps there is use for it. I still HIGHLY disagree with its use for fashion reasons alone. However if, like meat, the animals and trapped and killed humanely AND the other body parts are used to some degree, I don't see the issue. I always assumed that the synthetic materials did an on par or better job than fur in keeping someone warm... heh, I guess I've learned my lesson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2010, 05:33 PM
 
Location: The Woods
16,454 posts, read 21,465,702 times
Reputation: 8410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeerose00 View Post
Fur makes women look fat and old. Sorry but it does. And men look like pimps wearing it.
If a person lives where the temps are 20 below, then by all means, wear your fur. But let's face it. This isn't Little House on the Prarie and Pa just went out and shot a rabbit and Ma is sewing up all of the rabbit skins so you can be nice and warm when you walk an hour in the snow to get to school.
Most people wearing fur are trying to be like J-Lo with their "look at my bling" attitude. Fur for fashion is quite different than fur for function.
They make faux fur that looks so real these days that I'm willing to bet a lot of fur you see is fake anyway.
The synthetics (made from oil) are far worse for the environment than sustainably harvested fur.

And they are not as warm as fur either. Experience talking here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2010, 05:36 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
3,398 posts, read 6,957,151 times
Reputation: 2827
I like fur...as long as its fake. They make some really good fakes nowadays.

Otherwise, I dont wanna walk around in an animal carcass...it would horrify my dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top