U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 03:52 PM

562 posts, read 1,428,577 times

Advertisements

I find that for me even the complex carbs are making me hungry and heavy, but if I worked out a whole lot, that may change. I am sure your advice is great for those who have the extra time to jump on the bike if you overeat, but some of us busy moms or busy in general just have to eat less.

I think being honest about your life is key. I am never going to work out a whole lot right now, but I can eat differently and less if I have the right foods around and ignore 80% of the Midwestern foods around me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 03:56 PM

8,424 posts, read 24,460,403 times
I do think walking is good for you general health wise. But there is a certain weight level where it is pretty useless for loss. A walk would still not burn that off for me. (sticking to the time frame we are talking about of course) I would have to walk for a hour. Bike would only take 30 minutes.

Spinning class is crazy burning..lol. That burns over 1000 for even the lighter weights easily.

Most people will stick to a short exercise plan over a long one too. Its just easier.

Old 01-02-2010, 03:59 PM

8,424 posts, read 24,460,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabumom07 View Post
I find that for me even the complex carbs are making me hungry and heavy, but if I worked out a whole lot, that may change. I am sure your advice is great for those who have the extra time to jump on the bike if you overeat, but some of us busy moms or busy in general just have to eat less.

I think being honest about your life is key. I am never going to work out a whole lot right now, but I can eat differently and less if I have the right foods around and ignore 80% of the Midwestern foods around me.
YES...I know what you mean. I eat less when I am not working out. But logically I know if I wanted to speed up my metab it would mean lifting and eating every 2 hours. Am I going to do that all the time. No. But I do it every once in awhile to pep up the metab. I only am using my own body weight currently. I know it would be so much better with some free weights.

p.s. It took my body awhile to get used to carbs again after going carb low. If you get sleepy too you may want to see if there is a blood sugar problem.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:10 AM

4,784 posts, read 8,037,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post

p.s. It took my body awhile to get used to carbs again after going carb low. If you get sleepy too you may want to see if there is a blood sugar problem.

Yes, I have hypoglycemia and can't cut out too many carbs, or I get weak and dizzy. I hate it because there are times when I have to eat or faint, but I'm not even hungry. It can really affect someone with low blood sugar. I have to eat frequent small meals all day long.

I do a lot of kickboxing with boxing gloves and a punching bag---I burn a LOT of fat in those classes! If for some reason I miss those classes and do something more casual like take walks instead, it really makes a difference, my weight starts to creep back up.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:43 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,717,737 times
I find it helps if I eat very light or not at all several hours before bedtime. Most of my calories are consumed at breakfast and lunch.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:46 PM

43,861 posts, read 27,799,785 times
I hate worrying about my weight all the time....so I just decided not to. I eat what I want and then on every third month, I go on a mini-diet with a lot of fruit and salad with no snacks. I can stand anything for 28 days knowing I can go back to eating the good stuff before long. I never exercise because I have a bad back. I'm now 50 and have pretty much stayed the same weight for the past decade.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:53 PM

3,111 posts, read 2,361,115 times
I started gaining weight in my 30s. It's normal for metabolism to slow around that time.Luckily I was skinny to start with. I went from a waist 28 to waist 32. I don't think about my weight but would get concerned if I gain another 10 pounds or so, especially because diabetes runs in my family.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:06 AM

25,623 posts, read 17,171,618 times
It gets worse after 50. I went through menopause and since then it's just rediculous. 10 years ago I dropped 35lbs in 3 months by walking and following weightwatchers. Over the years the weight creeped back and now I'm doing the same thing again. Let me just say it's not going well.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:08 PM

2,987 posts, read 1,724,668 times
I'm approaching 60 and over the last 10 years, I've gained 10lbs.; mostly from retiring from my job and staying home. However, I do walk on my treadmill, but it makes me more hungry! Now, I've gone back to my mini rebounder, in hopes I can shed these extra pounds and inches. I love doing that more than the treadmill.
It's tough getting older and trying to lose weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty