U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2010, 05:00 PM

3,836 posts, read 6,605,387 times

Advertisements

I have been using Niacin masks on my face. Just break open a capsule, make a paste with a few drops of water, apply to face and let it dry. Softens and brightens skin and tightens pores. A bottle is about five bucks. I get tons of compliments on my skin.

Coconut oil to soften skin on arms, legs, feet and body. A jar costs about ten bucks.

Apple cider vinegar added to rinse water for shiny hair after shampooing. Less than a dollar a bottle.

What are your best cheap beauty solutions?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 05:21 PM

8,415 posts, read 34,319,158 times
I never yet found a better replacement than plain old olive oil for taking off eyemakeup. Those make-up removers bother my skin or dry the eye area. I never use soaps or washes on that area either. Oil and a cotton cloth and thats all.

Body breakouts/mild skin peel: any vinegar (about 1/4 cup + 10 oz water)

Splash and let the tingle go for awhile and then rinse and wash as normal. This also helps keep soap scum out of the shower/drain. I prefer to rinse and then wash to avoid any question in my brain if I smell like fish and chips or not. LOL

Coffee wraps - I get high caffine coffee (kona) and sometimes save the grounds from the morning to make an anti cellulite wrap. I get pms lumpies sometimes and it flushes them out. I just mix honey and coffee in a jar, smear it on and wrap it in plastic for an hour. Then peel it off in the shower and scrub with a rough cloth. The coffee also helps exfoliate and the honey softens your legs. This is also nice to do if you shaved really fast and have thigh burn. It takes out the red and prevents ingrowns that can happen with follice irritations.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:07 PM

6,772 posts, read 11,580,774 times
Hmm I use half baby oil and half water in a bottle for makeup remover. Olive oil is pretty expensive.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:25 AM

Not really because you only have to use a dot per eye. Plus its not toxic and does not add to age like make-up removers can due to chemical content. And it allows me not to have to buy heavy eyecream because it does not dry the area out.The face lotion I use is good enough. The olive oil also has natural anti-age properties.

also on mineral oil:
http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/ing...ngred06=703977

Old 01-18-2010, 10:58 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,439,398 times
Instead of buying expensive toner I use witch hazel. Works better than anything I've ever found.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:40 PM

Witch hazel works well for me too!

Old 01-18-2010, 03:09 PM

12,421 posts, read 2,788,708 times
I love the smell of witch hazel, too. Got any good facial moisturizers?

Old 01-18-2010, 03:18 PM

The niacin mask makes your face soft. I read about nicinamide on the web and tried both but I think the niacin works best. You open a capsule and make a paste with a few drops of water and let it dry. It exfoliates, too. Moisturizers work better.

I'm sold on oil of olay moisturizers.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:07 PM

Olive oil again for moisture! When I don't want to spend money...Olive oil!

more stuffies:

Honey + organic dry lemon rind + spread on face and let sit for a few minutes (10-15) and scrub into skin with warm wet fingers like an exfoliation type wash, then rinse...feel skin...go "ooooh." LOL

These thing are cheap for me too because its food stuff. I can't use olay. It breaks me out in blisters.

Rosewater mists are great for dry skin. You can make it yourself or buy bottles super cheap. They charge like 14 bucks for that MAC fix crap and the rosewater which is kinda the same thing (water,glycerin, botanicals) is 5 bucks. If you make you own keep it in the fridge and toss it in a week. (just like brewed tea)

You can also brew green tea and add some glycerin to it and mist with that. Super cheap!

I just love the smell of roses and how it softens the skin though.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:27 PM

2,480 posts, read 4,547,418 times
I will give olive oil a try-never thought about it-(I also read here on CD to use olive oil on your dry cuticles.)
Thanks pitt!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty